What needs lube and what needs grease?

Old July 14th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Default What needs lube and what needs grease?

Is there a complete source of information out there (or here) that
specifies what parts on a bike need lube (can chain lube be used for
more than just chains?) and what needs grease, and for how often to do
it?
Old July 14th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Ron wrote:
*Is there a complete source of information out there (or here) that
specifies what parts on a bike need lube (can chain lube be used for
more than just chains?) and what needs grease, and for how often to do
it?

Chains and spoke nipples should be oiled. Pretty much everything else
should be greased. Many bike parts now have sealed bearings.

See:
http://krebcycle.com/page.cfm?pageID=107

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_g.html#grease

Art Harris

Old July 15th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
Is there a complete source of information out there (or here) that
specifies what parts on a bike need lube (can chain lube be used for
more than just chains?)

Yes, if it's not the waxy type (I have used the waxy type for cables and
pedal/cleat interface).

and what needs grease, and for how often to do
it?

Grease bearings (wheel/BB/pedal/headset, frequency depends on seals &
amount of rain riding, etc.), threads (assembly/disassembly), seatpost
(unless carbon) couple of times a year, ditto quill stem. Oil pivot
points (fr/r derailers, brake calipers/studs/levers, QR cams), chain,
jockey wheels. I lube (grease) metal/metal cables/housings, but most of
my bikes are now plastic/plastic, which I leave alone.

I use motor oil & marine (boat trailer) grease. A lifetime supply of
both is less than a sawbuck. I generally grease threads with anti-seize.
I don't oil/grease on any regular schedule, just when it looks/feels
like it. If I'm changing a cassette, I'll probably check bearings, ditto
when I pull a crank. Any time I have a wheel off, I'll spin the axle in
my fingers for roughness and squeeze the caliper, I usually oil the
derailers when I oil the chain.
Old July 15th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Wal sells a marine grease from Castrol, beige in color. Outstanding
for bearings and grease uses.
Valvoline thru NAPA has a synthetic auto trans lube wroks well on the
chain after decanting into a Finish Line Epic bottle.
Finish Line's Teflon/wax "dry lube" is outstanding for cables/pivots.
linseed oil applied to steel parts eg axles and axle nuts, exposed
threads eg pedal shaft ends prevents rust
primary linseed app are spoke threads before or after assembly gives
maybe a 3lb prevail with rust and corrsion proofing.
linseed mixed with Al anti seize spread over the seat post and then
around the joint prevenst seat post seizure.
Old July 15th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the Castrol marine grease goes into the deray pulleys - field tested
best of or not off
Old July 16th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I'm unsure if there is an application for "oil" on a modern cycle. Is
there ?
the rear deray pivots take Valvo synth trans oil dripped into and
gravity fed from position even here in a hot climate.
Old July 16th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 15, 9:16*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Ablang wrote:
[...]

I use marine grease as well. It's some waterproof red stuff, I can't
recall exactly what at the moment. I use it for all kinds of stuff
though, and it works great. If it'll hold up to the salt air/water
marine environment it'll hold up to most anything, I'd think.