Why is the Queen be allowed to dissolve our Parliament?

Old April 5th 10, 03:54 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
tomcov

Default Why is the Queen be allowed to dissolve our Parliament?

On Apr 5, 12:49*pm, Doug wrote:
On 5 Apr, 09:55, "Norman Wells" cut-me-own-thr...@dibblers-

pies.co.am wrote:
Doug wrote:
Not very democratic is it?

"...After the long Easter weekend, Mr Brown is expected to announce
the date of a general election as 6 May. He will already have gone to
the Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament on 12 April..."

Let me see, we have a bunch of Christians forcing a shutdown of our
essential infrastructure on us and one person dissolving our
Parliament. Something is seriously wrong somewhere.

It's called being Head of State. *And it's a bulwark against dictatorship.
In the absence of the current constitutional rules conferring the right to
dissolve parliament on the Head of State, what do you think would happen if
Brown refused to call a general election within the five years allowed?

An excuse for revolution? Of course. if we had a written constitution
it wouldn't happen. No, instead lets have an elected head of state
serving a fixed term, instead of one chosen by birth plus a PM chosen
by a political party.

Maybe some of our
traditions are badly outdated and need a radical overhaul? But this
cannot be achieved merely by voting can it? So what else can we do?

What do you suggest?

Let's see what you've supported in the past to achieve your ends:

*death threats
*mail bombs
*bricks through windows
*hitting people on the head with baseball bats
*intimidation
*arson
*paint stripper on cars
*poisoning food on supermarket shelves
*blackmail
*digging up dead grannies.

Any of those appeal?

I have never suggested any of these as a solution to our deeply flawed
democracy.

What I have suggested is eliminating political parties and merely
having individual representatives forming a parliament and see above
for a leader. That way corporate money and influence is unlikely to
determine policy as it does now.

However, under the circumstances, virtually any change to the system
would be an improvement, having had to put up with this corrupt lot
for hundreds of years, who repeatedly impose wars on other countries
and who rapidly or pre-emptively discourage public displays of
political dissent.

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
Don't bother to vote, it only encourages them.

Doug, I must thank you, on one of my rare days off (a public holiday),
I have had some time to spend with the family.

We have so much enjoyed your little rants & raves (espically my
youngest who did not have to work yhis Sunday )

We have been running a book on what posts you would answer, and what
ones you would ignore (because you could think of no credible answer)

So far my daughter is up £3 on the betting (bugger)

Please keep up the good work & don't forget, "never let the truth get
in the way of a good story", but you know that anyway.

Thomas

Old April 5th 10, 05:27 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
nightjar

tomcov wrote:
Doug, I must thank you, on one of my rare days off (a public holiday),
I have had some time to spend with the family.

We have so much enjoyed your little rants & raves (espically my
youngest who did not have to work yhis Sunday )

We have been running a book on what posts you would answer, and what
ones you would ignore (because you could think of no credible answer)

I'll have half a crown on no answer to my post, asking him exactly which
*essential* infrastructure was closed down over Easter.

Colin Bignell

The HC in parliament again. Martin Dann UK 16 June 28th 07 10:41 PM
The HWcode today in parliament. Martin Dann UK 13 June 9th 07 12:23 AM
Highway Code- debate in Parliament? J. Chisholm UK 35 June 5th 07 09:24 AM
Cycling in parliament wafflycat UK 11 May 13th 06 10:43 PM
Parliament audio/video Tony Raven UK 92 April 24th 04 04:56 PM