Install STI shifters on old bike?

Old November 20th 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Install STI shifters on old bike?

I presently have friction shifters on the down tube of my Paramount, and was just wondering if you guys think I would really like STI shifters, were I to install them? Do you really like them a whole bunch better than old-fashioned shifters? Thanks!
Old November 20th 15, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2015 8:48 AM, wrote:
I presently have friction shifters on the down tube of my Paramount, and was just wondering if you guys think I would really like STI shifters, were I to install them? Do you really like them a whole bunch better than old-fashioned shifters? Thanks!

Or Ergo shifters, or SRAM shifters or Shimano compatible
not-quite-STi shifters.

It's a system, not just shifters. Ideally you'll change over
with rear hub, cassette, chain, changers, cable set and tape
besides the shifters.

If you are running ten or eleven rear sprockets now, it will
be straightforward. For 7-8-9-10 systems there is reasonable
but not complete parts support depending on brand/model.

Riders have a lot of opinions because their criteria differ.
In competition there's a very good case for modern shifting
in that it's arguably faster and more reliable plus wheel
changes are supported. Outside of competition, you'll have
to decide if there's a problem in need of solution or if you
just want to try them or whatever. Plenty of riders still
like their friction DT shifters while another larger group
wonders why ever they waited so long to go Ergo. YMMV

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 20th 15, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 7:07:30 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/20/2015 8:48 AM, wrote:
[...]

In competition, you'd be an idiot not to use STI/Ergo. There is no argument about it. It is faster; it is more reliable, and it is far more convenient -- particularly shifting out of corners and while standing.

I don't know anyone who prefers friction shifting except for the historical re-enactors/preservationists and people who fear that their STI/Ergo levers will fail while riding in Timbuktu. Not much of an issue when riding a Paramount rather than a touring bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 20th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 9:48:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I presently have friction shifters on the down tube of my Paramount, and was just wondering if you guys think I would really like STI shifters, were I to install them? Do you really like them a whole bunch better than old-fashioned shifters? Thanks!

Back in 2001 I did a johnny Cash "ONE PIECE AT A TIME" conversion to my road bike. I added a mix of Campagnolo 9-speed Mirage and Veloce components and love it. I use Mirage Ergo levers with Mirage front derailleur and Veloce rear derailleur, hub, cassette and chain. On my touring bike i have 9-speed Mirage Ergo levers and Mirage rear derailleur with a Shimano cassette. That works perfectly. I like the left hand Ergo because it's a ratchet system rather than an indexed one and thus it's simple to trim the front derailleur.

On other bikes I have Shimano friction shifters on the downtube. Sometimes after riding a bike for a while that has downtube shifters and then swithing to a bike with the Ergo shifters I'll still reach for the downtube shifter.
Old November 20th 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/20/2015 8:48 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well the OP might prefer it if he originally thought he could put the
STI shifters on his bike without changing anything else...

Old November 20th 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 20/11/2015 10:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I like Ergos because I can shift up or down without having to move my hands.

Cheers

Being able to shift and brake without moving your hands is a plus. And
with my current SRAM Force setup, the levers move back and forth so I
can do the same in the drops. Pretty cool.

So will this trigger another long thread about coward riders who are
afraid to move their hands? ...
Old November 20th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 10:58:28 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Snipped
Being able to shift and brake without moving your hands is a plus. And
with my current SRAM Force setup, the levers move back and forth so I
can do the same in the drops. Pretty cool.

I can shift up or down with my mirage from the drops too. That's one of the reasons i love them on my touring bike - I don't have to mover my hands to shift and that can be a real advantage when riding in strong winds or strong wind gusts. It also means you shift more often and therefore the entire ride is done much more efficiently as you're more often in the best ghear.

Cheers
Old November 20th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 20/11/2015 11:29 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 10:58:28 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Snipped
Being able to shift and brake without moving your hands is a plus. And
with my current SRAM Force setup, the levers move back and forth so I
can do the same in the drops. Pretty cool.

I can shift up or down with my mirage from the drops too. That's one of the reasons i love them on my touring bike - I don't have to mover my hands to shift and that can be a real advantage when riding in strong winds or strong wind gusts. It also means you shift more often and therefore the entire ride is done much more efficiently as you're more often in the best ghear.

Cheers

I could shift from the drops with my 105 setup but it was a stretch.
Old November 20th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 11:37:08 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
On 20/11/2015 11:29 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 10:58:28 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Snipped
Being able to shift and brake without moving your hands is a plus. And
with my current SRAM Force setup, the levers move back and forth so I
can do the same in the drops. Pretty cool.

I can shift up or down with my mirage from the drops too. That's one of the reasons i love them on my touring bike - I don't have to mover my hands to shift and that can be a real advantage when riding in strong winds or strong wind gusts. It also means you shift more often and therefore the entire ride is done much more efficiently as you're more often in the best ghear.

Cheers

I could shift from the drops with my 105 setup but it was a stretch.

I have heard that it was hard or even impossible if you have small hands/short fingers to shift brifters from the drops.

Cheers

Will these shifters work with this bike? C Yohman General 1 September 30th 09 04:51 PM
The fastest way to get your village to install bike racks... Kristian M Zoerhoff General 10 March 1st 07 10:10 PM
touring bike shifters raisethe UK 54 November 8th 06 08:47 AM
How to install a "Mr.Fusion" in my bike ? ? ? Dan Simper Techniques 28 February 9th 05 03:50 AM
Bar end shifters for touring bike ? jacques General 61 December 7th 03 01:01 AM