Cool Seat Post Clamp If Bicycle Manufacturer Forgot Seat Stay RackMounts

Old November 25th 15, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Cool Seat Post Clamp If Bicycle Manufacturer Forgot Seat Stay RackMounts

I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_pdf/gear/uk/giantbicycles-39114-giant.seat.collar.with.rack.mount.quick.release.pd f

I found a U.S. vendor selling these:
http://www.amaincycling.com/on-road-bikes/giant-quick-release-seatpost-clamp-w-rack-mount-black-34.9mm--71605/p364008?v=332904

I must have gotten the last one since they now show as being out of stock.

Note: if you order one of these devices please remember to include the
promo code SMS50PERCENTKICKBACK so I will receive my 50% referral fee.
Old November 25th 15, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

--
Lou
Old November 25th 15, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:09:24 PM UTC-5, Lou Holtman wrote:
sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

--
Lou

Notice SMS says "you want" rather than saying "I want"?

Cheers
Old November 25th 15, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/25/2015 2:09 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

It's very important on a mountain bike, not necessary on a road bike,
for obvious reasons.

Old November 26th 15, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 25/11/2015 23:53, sms wrote:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

It's very important on a mountain bike, not necessary on a road bike,
for obvious reasons.

Really?

Have you checked which year it is?

Old November 26th 15, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

It's very important on a mountain bike, not necessary on a road bike,
for obvious reasons.

Obvious reasons? Not so obvious for me apparently. Most of them are open cam types which are junk, the reason I don't want one.

Lou
Old November 26th 15, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

It's very important on a mountain bike, not necessary on a road bike,
for obvious reasons.

How so? Admittedly I don't ride "off road" but observation seems to
show that the vast majority of MTB bikes are used as road bikes.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old November 26th 15, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

sms wrote:
I got my spousal unit a mountain bike today. Annoyingly, Accell decided
to not include rack mounts on the seat stays and she definitely is going
to want a rack to carry stuff rather than wear a pack.

There are several seat post clamps that include the rack mounts but I
could only find one that was also quick release, which is something you
really want on a mountain bike:

Why is a quick release something I really want on a mountain bike?
I don't have one and I don't want one.

It's very important on a mountain bike, not necessary on a road bike,
for obvious reasons.

Why is it important on a mountain bike? I personally wouldn't buy a
bike with a quick release seat. In case of my son, his bike came with
one and I replaced it.

Quick release makes it easier to steal unless you want to carry it
around with you. And then if you carry it around you have to make sure
to mark it properly to get it back in the right place. What about a
mountain bike makes this useful?
Old November 26th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

sms wrote:
[...]

Because you often want to change the seat height during a ride. On the
road portion of the ride you'll want it at the height you'd have on a
road bike. During an off-road ride you'll want it at different heights
for climbing, descending, and level sections.

There are now systems to remotely control the seat height from a
handlebar control to avoid having to stop.
http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/013/Content/AuxilaryProduct/DOSSseatpost.html.
There are less expensive lever operated pneumatic seat posts but even
these are over $100, i.e. http://www.jensonusa.com/KS-Eten-Lever-Seatpost.

Seat post theft is an issue that is mitigated with a seat post leash.
See http://www.bikeahead.com/seat-leash-p/pla02407.htm. Even a seat
post clamp with an Allen bolt is not much of a challenge for someone
wanting to steal a seat and seat post. The leash makes them move on to
the next bike. I have these on all the bicycles in the fleet and we have
never had a stolen seat.
Old November 26th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

sms wrote:
[...]

Granted I don't do a lot of mountain biking but I've never heard of
this. AFAICS the seat position on a mountain bike is set similar to a
road bike, based on your leg position WRT the pedals. Why would it be
different when you climb? I guess I can see where you might want to do
this on a long descent. With road bikes you see aggressive riders sit
on the top tube on descents. I guess you can't do this on a mountain bike?

Help Needed: Trying to identify manufacturer of my seat post. Rodney Dunning Techniques 14 July 2nd 08 02:52 AM
What seat post clamp? Tom Crispin UK 7 February 18th 08 05:17 PM
Seat Post Clamp for 05 KH oxfordrider Unicycling 5 May 8th 06 03:19 PM
seat post clamp irvinegr Unicycling 12 February 2nd 06 01:08 PM
Seat Post Slipping - Seat Post Clamp Question [email protected] Techniques 14 April 23rd 05 01:05 AM