London cycle paths

Old November 27th 15, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default London cycle paths

http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/

Two new segregated bike paths will crisscross the city and open up
speedy, safe cycling that will ease pollution and traffic for
everyone, non-cyclists, too, Boris Johnson says.

London is a big huffing puffing city, so Mayor Boris Johnson’s success
in pushing ahead with his plan to build cycle superhighways right
through the heart of it seems nothing short of a small miracle.

They won’t be finished before May of next year, but the concept, as
Boris Johnson said in March at the inauguration of the building, goes
far beyond simply smoothing the ride for cyclists: “Getting more
people on their bikes will reduce pressure on the road, bus and rail
networks, cut pollution and improve life for everyone, whether or not
they cycle themselves.”

The “Crossrail for the Bike” will be 21 miles long and almost
completely separated from motor traffic: 18 miles travelling east-west
(from Barking to Acton) and 3 miles running north-south (from King’s
Cross to Elephant and Castle). When completed in 2016, it will be
Europe’s longest segregated bike path.
London Pushes Through Stiff Resistance to Cycle Superhighways
Artist’s impression of London’s new Cycle Superhighway – Transport for
London

Transport for London’s superhighways are not without their detractors,
however. The Licensed Taxi Drivers Association (LTDA) had threatened
legal action, but ultimately backed away when it became apparent that
a judicial review of TfL’s plans would simply delay rather than stop
the new routes. Property firm Canary Wharf Group had also been vocal,
producing an anonymous briefing (which it later acknowledged) that
called the planned route “extremely damaging for London.”

Their complaints hinged on concerns over gridlock, increased
congestion, restricting delivery vehicle access and adversely
affecting business in general.

Also, some of London boroughs have been fierce opponents only caving
under huge pressure and, in one case, threats to seize control of its
roads, says London’s cycling commissioner, Andrew Gilligan, who
characterized the city as “still in the foothills” of being cycle
friendly.

Although Johnson has been a huge booster of cycling in London, putting
£900 million ($1.4 billion) toward the project, the original idea has
been a long time in the making. His predecessor Ken Livingstone, who
became mayor in 2000, was vocal and active in pushing the cycling
agenda and in 2008 announced £400 million ($624 million) in
initiatives. Even before that, there was a long and steady campaign to
raise the profile and the possibilities for cycling in the city.
Old November 27th 15, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/27/2015 6:39 AM, somebody wrote:
[...]

I always love the watercolor sketches that go with these plans.

"Look! There will hardly be any cars on the road - only six cars per
block! There will actually be more bicyclists than motorists, see? All
the parking spaces will be empty!"

It reminds me of the typical TV ad for cars. No matter what model they
advertise, the message is: "Buy this car and all other cars will
disappear from the road. You can drive as fast as you like, just like
in our little video!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 27th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/27/2015 9:27 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I rode last evening in a light drizzle, no wind, and had a
very nice ride virtually alone on the roads; not one other
bicycle, no buses, vanishingly few cars, one parked police
cruiser. Virtually my own private pavement.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 27th 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/27/2015 3:39 AM, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/

Two new segregated bike paths will crisscross the city and open up
speedy, safe cycling that will ease pollution and traffic for
everyone, non-cyclists, too, Boris Johnson says.

London is a big huffing puffing city, so Mayor Boris Johnson’s success
in pushing ahead with his plan to build cycle superhighways right
through the heart of it seems nothing short of a small miracle.

New York City has an excellent greenway in Manhattan that greatly
facilitates bicycle commuting. Hopefully London can get this done.

Old November 27th 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 6:40:03 AM UTC-5, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/

snip
The "Crossrail for the Bike" will be 21 miles long and almost
completely separated from motor traffic: 18 miles travelling east-west
(from Barking to Acton) and 3 miles running north-south (from King's
Cross to Elephant and Castle). When completed in 2016, it will be
Europe's longest segregated bike path.

snip
I'd love to try this route.

I would also like to know where the longer segregated routes to which the article alludes are. (We have multi-use paths that are longer, but they are not exclusive use and one is always manoeuvring around pestedrians.)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 28th 15, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:12:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 6:40:03 AM UTC-5, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/
snip
The "Crossrail for the Bike" will be 21 miles long and almost
completely separated from motor traffic: 18 miles travelling east-west
(from Barking to Acton) and 3 miles running north-south (from King's
Cross to Elephant and Castle). When completed in 2016, it will be
Europe's longest segregated bike path.

snip
I'd love to try this route.

I would also like to know where the longer segregated routes to which the article alludes

are. (We have multi-use paths that are longer, but they are not
exclusive use and one is always manoeuvring around pestedrians.)

That sounds like the "multi-use" roads in the U.S. which are not
exclusive use and the automobiles are always maneuvering around the
bicycles" :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old November 28th 15, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 27/11/15 12:39, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/

Two new segregated bike paths will crisscross the city and open up
speedy, safe cycling that will ease pollution and traffic for
everyone, non-cyclists, too, Boris Johnson says.

Is it just me that thinks from the artists impression, that cycleway is
a *ridiculous* width.

Old November 28th 15, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 28-11-2015 om 10:47 schreef Tosspot:
On 27/11/15 12:39, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/

Two new segregated bike paths will crisscross the city and open up
speedy, safe cycling that will ease pollution and traffic for
everyone, non-cyclists, too, Boris Johnson says.

Is it just me that thinks from the artists impression, that cycleway is
a *ridiculous* width.

It is a two way bike path. Considering people ride both ways two abreast
and you want some room to pass it is not ridiculous wide.
We have a lot of two way bike paths here in The Netherlands that are
narrower. They are not my favorite places to ride when it is busy...

Lou
Old November 28th 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 5:12:40 AM UTC-5, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 28-11-2015 om 10:47 schreef Tosspot:
Is it just me that thinks from the artists impression, that cycleway is
a *ridiculous* width.

It is a two way bike path. Considering people ride both ways two abreast
and you want some room to pass it is not ridiculous wide.
We have a lot of two way bike paths here in The Netherlands that are
narrower. They are not my favorite places to ride when it is busy...

Lou

I don't know if they ever changed it but in the 1980s in Toronto, Canada the Martin Goodman Trail in many areas ran right beside Queen's Quay and further west ran beside Lakeshore Boulevard. Both those roads were very busy roads. The planners of the narrow Martin Goodman Trail put the westbound lane of it RIGHT NEXT to the eastbound Queen's Quay or Lakeshore Blvd. lane. The bike lane and the traffic lane were sparated by ONLY a painted line. Thus if a westbound bicyclist veered right to miss anything, they 'd be outside of the bike lane and heading west in the eatbound traffic lane. I know of at least a few instances when that happened and the bicyclist was struck by a car. It could also happen if an eatbound b icyclist bumped a westbound bicyclist and caused that westbound bicyclist to veer into traffic.

Cheers
Old November 28th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

We have a few lanes like that in Quebec. They're also fun when they end
with the rider dumped into a lane of oncoming traffic. I don't use them
when I would be going against traffic.

--
duane

Cycle Paths or Not? Steve C[_2_] UK 49 May 15th 08 09:32 PM
Cycle Paths Are Good Ian Blake UK 4 March 10th 06 08:56 PM
London cycle paths and the Olympics Rob UK 6 August 2nd 05 06:01 PM
Unite Against Cycle Paths! Steve McGinty UK 8 August 15th 04 10:12 PM
bike paths in london? fabiosav UK 5 June 2nd 04 07:21 AM