London cycle paths

Old November 28th 15, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default London cycle paths

On 2015-11-27 12:12, wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 6:40:03 AM UTC-5, somebody wrote:
http://www.citiesofthefuture.eu/lond...superhighways/
snip
The "Crossrail for the Bike" will be 21 miles long and almost
completely separated from motor traffic: 18 miles travelling
east-west (from Barking to Acton) and 3 miles running north-south
(from King's Cross to Elephant and Castle). When completed in 2016,
it will be Europe's longest segregated bike path.

snip I'd love to try this route.

I would also like to know where the longer segregated routes to which
the article alludes are. (We have multi-use paths that are longer,
but they are not exclusive use and one is always manoeuvring around
pestedrians.) -- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO
MARTINO

Not in Europe but we have one that is way longer and an excellent
example of how it's done right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-m2Cefx18

Gets a bit busy during rush hour and on weekends which is why they are
widening it section by section. This bike path runs parallel to two
major arteries between Folsom and Sacramento, California. The nice thing
is that it's so far segregated that you don't have the noise and stench
of automotive traffic. Most of the time you can't even see it.

There is also another connector to Rancho Cordova and then on to the
South. It runs along a canal and is more boring but no speed limit, woohoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1m2HImOw8

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 28th 15, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-11-28 10:49, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 5:12:40 AM UTC-5, Lou Holtman
wrote:
Op 28-11-2015 om 10:47 schreef Tosspot:
Is it just me that thinks from the artists impression, that
cycleway is a *ridiculous* width.

It is a two way bike path. Considering people ride both ways two
abreast and you want some room to pass it is not ridiculous wide.
We have a lot of two way bike paths here in The Netherlands that
are narrower. They are not my favorite places to ride when it is
busy...

Lou

I don't know if they ever changed it but in the 1980s in Toronto,
Canada the Martin Goodman Trail in many areas ran right beside
Queen's Quay and further west ran beside Lakeshore Boulevard. Both
those roads were very busy roads. The planners of the narrow Martin
Goodman Trail put the westbound lane of it RIGHT NEXT to the
eastbound Queen's Quay or Lakeshore Blvd. lane. The bike lane and the
traffic lane were sparated by ONLY a painted line. Thus if a
westbound bicyclist veered right to miss anything, they 'd be outside
of the bike lane and heading west in the eatbound traffic lane. I
know of at least a few instances when that happened and the bicyclist
was struck by a car. It could also happen if an eatbound b icyclist
bumped a westbound bicyclist and caused that westbound bicyclist to
veer into traffic.

This ought to be the ultimate bike path :-)

http://www.duskyswondersite.com/wp-c...gion-Italy.jpg

Old December 2nd 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BeeRich

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 1:49:47 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I don't know if they ever changed it but in the 1980s in Toronto, Canada the Martin Goodman Trail in many areas ran right beside Queen's Quay and further west ran beside Lakeshore Boulevard. Both those roads were very busy roads. The planners of the narrow Martin Goodman Trail put the westbound lane of it RIGHT NEXT to the eastbound Queen's Quay or Lakeshore Blvd. lane. The bike lane and the traffic lane were sparated by ONLY a painted line. Thus if a westbound bicyclist veered right to miss anything, they 'd be outside of the bike lane and heading west in the eatbound traffic lane. I know of at least a few instances when that happened and the bicyclist was struck by a car. It could also happen if an eatbound b icyclist bumped a westbound bicyclist and caused that westbound bicyclist to veer into traffic.

Queen's Quay has been completely redone. It's separated completely now, with the coupled streetcar tracks in-between the bike lanes and the road lanes. I'm not sure about Lakeshore out west though. That's Etobicoke, actually, past the Humber.

Cycle Paths or Not? Steve C[_2_] UK 49 May 15th 08 09:32 PM
Cycle Paths Are Good Ian Blake UK 4 March 10th 06 09:56 PM
London cycle paths and the Olympics Rob UK 6 August 2nd 05 06:01 PM
Unite Against Cycle Paths! Steve McGinty UK 8 August 15th 04 10:12 PM
bike paths in london? fabiosav UK 5 June 2nd 04 07:21 AM