Riding at lane center, the law, the cops

Old November 28th 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Riding at lane center, the law, the cops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 28th 15, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

To me, that's a scary-looking road - more so in the context of people
talking on cell phones, texting, and doing email while driving.

I would find the guard rail especially intimidating. If that's a side
walk behind the guard rail, I'd be on it.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 28th 15, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_4_]

On 28/11/2015 14:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

This police officer seems pretty polite and reasonable, much more
reasonable than in the UK.

Stupid but polite.
Old November 28th 15, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/28/2015 9:37 AM, Nick wrote:
On 28/11/2015 14:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

This police officer seems pretty polite and reasonable, much
more reasonable than in the UK.

Stupid but polite.

There are upwards of fifty million police-citizen
interactions per year[1]. It's the outlier incidents which,
as they say, sell newspapers[2].

Besides inexplicable police behavior from time to time[3],
some of the citizenry are no prize either:
http://nypost.com/2015/11/22/woman-w...pleads-guilty/
[4]

[1] I have no idea about noncitizens, haven't seen numbers.
[2] As if anything could sell newspapers to an illiterate
populace. O tempora O mores.
[3] Your well intentioned do-gooders and your bullies with
badges are on the same team, wear the same uniform. Police
hire from the same pool as everyone else.
[4] No, I don't know her telephone number or her release
date. Quotations in the link are quite entertaining IMHO.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 28th 15, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/28/2015 7:37 AM, Nick wrote:

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

Only a tiny percentage of police in the U.S. are as you describe. They
give the others a bad name and create an atmosphere where normal people
end up being antagonistic toward the police.

But a lot of police are not familiar with laws, be it laws regarding
bicycles, or other laws.

I would not have argued with this cop. I would have let it be and then
elevated the issue with the police department, and have them explain the
laws to the cops on patrol.
Old November 28th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 15:37:10 +0000, Nick wrote:
On 28/11/2015 14:42, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

Sometimes. Sad to say. Sometimes, as we saw yesterday, people are
shooting the cops.

This police officer seems pretty polite and reasonable, much more
reasonable than in the UK.

Stupid but polite.

Well as a white male I generally find the police fairly pleasant. I do
tend to try to avoid inviting interactions with them as a general
policy, though.
Old November 28th 15, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 08:27:15 -0800, sms
wrote:
On 11/28/2015 7:37 AM, Nick wrote:

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

Only a tiny percentage of police in the U.S. are as you describe. They
give the others a bad name and create an atmosphere where normal
people end up being antagonistic toward the police.

But a lot of police are not familiar with laws, be it laws regarding
bicycles, or other laws.

Judging by the history of the past 35 or so years (being roughly the
length of time I have been paying attention to politics), familiarity
with the laws is a relatively scarce resource among the populace as a
whole- citizens, police, legislators, judges, executive branch, CEOs,
Wall Street, board rooms, presidential candidates... Americans (and
maybe everywhere else) tend to function by what they think ought to be
legal or illegal rather than what is really legal or illegal.
Old November 29th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
On 11/28/2015 7:37 AM, Nick wrote:

Wow. I thought the police in the US just shot people.

Only a tiny percentage of police in the U.S. are as you describe. They
give the others a bad name and create an atmosphere where normal
people end up being antagonistic toward the police.

But a lot of police are not familiar with laws, be it laws regarding
bicycles, or other laws.

Judging by the history of the past 35 or so years (being roughly the
length of time I have been paying attention to politics), familiarity
with the laws is a relatively scarce resource among the populace as a
whole- citizens, police, legislators, judges, executive branch, CEOs,
Wall Street, board rooms, presidential candidates... Americans (and
maybe everywhere else) tend to function by what they think ought to be
legal or illegal rather than what is really legal or illegal.

I've mentioned before in this forum the incident in which a rookie bike
patrolman asked me "Which side of the road is a bicyclist supposed to
ride on?"

And not long ago, I pointed out to the members of Village Council that
the Village had many bicycle regulations that were in direct violation
of state law. The members of Council did not know that. That includes
the one member of Village Council who is a retired judge, and who was
recently supposed to have reviewed all Village ordinances to see if any
needed revision.

There are lots and lots of laws. I'm sure nobody knows all those that
apply in their area. But I agree, it's pretty bad when the cops try to
enforce imaginary laws. It's worse when they continue that behavior
even after reading the text of the law.

I once had a similar, but much less pleasant encounter with an Idaho
State Patrolman. He was much, much more aggressive at first. However,
after the wording of the law was pointed out to him (in print, in his
law book) and after some intense discussion, he behaved better than the
cop in the video. Our encounter ended with a smile and handshakes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 29th 15, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/28/2015 10:11 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_588_phFnvQ

To me, that's a scary-looking road - more so in the context of people
talking on cell phones, texting, and doing email while driving.

I would find the guard rail especially intimidating. If that's a side
walk behind the guard rail, I'd be on it.

Sidewalks are usually much more dangerous than they look.

It's not that I never, ever ride them. But the tiny percentage of my
riding that uses a sidewalk always includes being on high alert.

I regularly ride my bike to the nearby post office. I use maybe 30 feet
of sidewalk to avoid two blocks of travel on a busy street plus one long
traffic light. But a few days ago, I stopped (as usual) because I saw
upcoming cars that I thought might be making an unsignaled right turn
across my path.

And indeed, they did. Five of them, with only two signaling. If I were
the typical "I'm safe, I'm on a sidewalk" rider, I'd probably have been
flattened.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 29th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
Sidewalks are usually much more dangerous than they look.

And indeed, they did. Five of them, with only two signaling. If I were
the typical "I'm safe, I'm on a sidewalk" rider, I'd probably have been
flattened.

I agree 100% when it comes to intersections. Riding a bike off of a
sidewalk into an intersection is a recipe for getting hit.
--
Pete Cresswell