Why is hi-vis clothing easier to see? What’s so special about the colour?

Old September 1st 19, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Why is hi-vis clothing easier to see? What's so special about the colour?

Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sun, 01 Sep 2019 09:52:10 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:40:26 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:56:41 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
[]

**** off Hucker. Your latest trolling has done very well, now
just **** off and die.

Killfile too complicated for your little brain is it?

I don't use it. Just **** off.

Idiot troll feeder yourself.

I did not feed Hucker. I told the sad, life long failure to **** off.
Spot the difference?

Not really; you xposted abuse, no diff. [c.f. Pot v. Kettle]

Grow up, grow a pair, scrap your silly little bike and become a man.

Old September 1st 19, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:56:41 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
[]

**** off Hucker. Your latest trolling has done very well, now
just **** off and die.

Killfile too complicated for your little brain is it?

I don't use it. Just **** off.

Idiot troll feeder yourself.

I did not feed Hucker. I told the sad, life long failure to **** off.
Spot the difference?

Not really; you xposted abuse, no diff. [c.f. Pot v. Kettle]

Grow up, grow a pair, scrap your silly little bike and become a man.

Cyclists have very big pairs. They like to show them off in their tight shorts. Have you never admired them?
Old September 1st 19, 06:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 21:52:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 20:19:57 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 01:31:58 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 21:09:53 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 05:29:07 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 22:38:57 +0100, Max Demian

wrote:

On 27/08/2019 17:25, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:13:18 +0100, Colonel Edmund J. Burke
wrote:

On 8/27/2019 9:03 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why is hi-vis clothing easier to see? What’s so special about
the
colour?

Color, you ignorant limey.

So why isn't red, yellow, etc as easy to see? If you wear a
bright
red
tshirt, you aren't as visible as wearing a hi-vis jacket. Does
it
convert all the wavelengths into one or something?

It's fluorescent. It converts ultraviolet (especially prevalent
in
the
dusk) into visible light.

I never realised this - there's more UV at dusk?

Yep, because the sunlight is going thru a lot more air
and dust etc in the air and UV gets thru that better
than the longer wavelength light. That’s why sunsets
are red, the red light is reflected off the crap in the air.

Isn't it to do with diffraction and refraction?

Yes but that’s just different words for the same thing.

No,

Yep.

No.

Yep

Diffraction is light encountering an obstacle, like the edge of a
planet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

That’s just one form of diffraction.

Refraction is light encountering a different medium, like going from the
air into a lake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction

That’s just one form of refraction.

They're different things entirely,

They are irrelevant to what we were discussing;.

They explain clearly what different wavelengths of light do when they encounters objects.

go read Physics 101.

Go and **** yourself, again.

Too complicated for you is it?

one is bending round corners, eg long wave radio goes further as it
can
go over mountains.

That’s not what is involved in there being more UV at sunset.

The other is bending when it goes into another medium, eg shining a
torch into water.

That’s not what is involved in there being more UV at sunset.

One bends high frequencies more, the other bends low frequencies more.

More UV at sunset isnt about bending.

You said above: "That’s why sunsets are red, the red light is reflected
off the crap in the air."

Because that is the reason for more UV at sunset.

That would make more red, duh.

Wrong, as always. The red is initially coming from the sun.
When some of that is reflected back towards the sun and well
away from the individual, that’s less at the individual, stupid.

That would make the sunset blue!

But er.... we see sunsets as red, which means the red end of the
spectrum
must be reaching our eyes more than the blue end.

Wrong, as always. We see sunsets as red because the sky
around the setting sun is red because of the red being
reflected off what is in the sky around the setting sun.

It reflects into our eyes,

And to a lot more than just our eyes, stupid.

The point is the same colour we see in the sunset (red) because it hit our eyes, is what will also hit the hi-vis jackets. So not UV.

that's why we see it, therefore the red is reaching us, and also any
hi-vis jackets.

Only a small subset of it is. Whereas much more of the UV which isnt
reflected so much, gets to our eyes and our hi vis jackets, stupid.

Clearly as sunsets show more of the red end of the visible spectrum, and less of the blue end, then it's bull**** that more UV gets through.

If the blue end (including UV) was reflected more, sunsets would be blue.

Duh.

I guess it's to do with diffraction of sunlight at the horizon?

More the much longer amount of air in the path between
the sun and you.

Presumably mainly available in certain colours.

Why are they always yellow or green?

They arent normally green and plenty are orange/reddish.

Almost every one I see nowadays is yellow.

Then you need to get out more.

I have no desire to see more health and softy bull****.

It isnt H&S bull****.

That's what hivis is all about - ****ing safety.

Its also about who works for the railways
etc with the different color for them etc.

Same with the cops and paramedics and fireys
etc at car crashes etc, helps to be able to see
who is who quickly at the scene.

They tend to have "FIRE" written on them.

Not on the sides they don’t.

Maybe you should suggest that to the health and softy types.

In the case of railway workers, there are only railway workers.

Wrong, as always.

Who else is working on the rails?

And what's with the different sirens for police, fire, ambulance, I doubt
anyone knows which is which,

Those in them obviously do.

They don't need to know, it's the public that needs to get out of the way that needs to know. Fire - someone could be about to die, ambulance, somebody could be about to die, police, who gives a ****?

especially since they've all started using about three different wails
when one doesn't get the morons out of their way.

A google image search shows 75% yellow and 25% orange,

Its nothing like a representative sample of whats seen in the real
world.

A google search is very representative.

Google image results arent.

Same coding.

Nope.

Prove it.

Do a search with a unique keyword and see
the different result with all and images, stupid.

For example?

[repetition flushed where it belongs]

although I can't remember the last time I saw an orange.

Then you need to get out more. It varys by industry too. some
like the railways have their own colors for various reasons.

Ah, I do remember orange at a level crossing.

Yeah, that’s the most obvious example.

Why do railways need different colours?

So they can easily work out who does what job etc.

They're all orange, every last one of them.

Wrong, as always. Just saw a pile in Aldi yesterday,
both yellow and orange.

Doesn't mean anyone buys them both. Aldi sells all sorts of pointless ****e. I never use the middle aisle at all. Since it's different stuff every week, how can I go there and buy something when I don't know what it'll be? I go to shops that I know sell the thing I require.
Old September 5th 19, 04:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

The sunset UV effect isnt due to objects.

Nothing complicated about telling you to go and **** yourself, again.

[...]

Nope, its red because what is scattered off the stuff in the longer
path at sunset makes THAT look red, the stuff its scattered off.

But er.... we see sunsets as red, which means the red end of the
spectrum
must be reaching our eyes more than the blue end.

Wrong, as always. We see sunsets as red because the sky
around the setting sun is red because of the red being
reflected off what is in the sky around the setting sun.

It reflects into our eyes,

And to a lot more than just our eyes, stupid.

The point is the same colour we see in the sunset (red) because it hit our
eyes,

The sunset is red because red is scattered off the
stuff in the longer air path and THAT is red.

is what will also hit the hi-vis jackets.

But much less of that than with the UV.

So not UV.

Wrong, as always.

that's why we see it, therefore the red is reaching us, and also any
hi-vis jackets.

Only a small subset of it is. Whereas much more of the UV which isnt
reflected so much, gets to our eyes and our hi vis jackets, stupid.

Clearly as sunsets show more of the red end of the visible spectrum, and
less of the blue end, then it's bull**** that more UV gets through.

When quite a bit of the red is scattered by stuff in the long path
and makes THAT look red. and when much less of the UV is scattered
and ends up at the observer, that’s how more UV gets thru, stupid.

[...]

No point, there isnt anywhere you can put large letters on the sides,
stupid.

In the case of railway workers, there are only railway workers.

Wrong, as always.

Who else is working on the rails?

Didn’t say anything about working, stupid.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself must have noticed
plenty wear their hi vis all day etc and plenty of those can
be where the trains are, stupid.

And what's with the different sirens for police, fire, ambulance, I
doubt anyone knows which is which,

Those in them obviously do.

They don't need to know,

Corse they do when they are going to an accident scene
whose location is poorly described and they need to
go to where other services are already etc.

it's the public that needs to get out of the way that needs to know.

They don’t need to know which it is, just get out of the road
of any vehicle with a siren of any type blaring, stupid.

Fire - someone could be about to die, ambulance, somebody could be about
to die, police, who gives a ****?

Those other services that may need to know if its another
one of theirs or one of a different emergency service, stupid.

[...]

They wouldn’t keep selling the stuff that no on buys, ****wit.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

SPECIAL PRICE Pro Team Clothing [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 3rd 07 08:16 AM
Special Price Clothing - Professional Team lunar Marketplace 0 December 22nd 06 02:48 PM
what colour? Butty Unicycling 1 August 15th 05 01:40 PM
what colour? Smilymarco Unicycling 0 August 15th 05 01:38 PM
Uni colour heavy metal unicycling Unicycling 47 June 9th 05 10:30 PM