How to stiffen too soft toe-straps?

Old September 20th 19, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default How to stiffen too soft toe-straps?

Anyone here know a way to stiffen leather toe-straps without wrecking them?

Cheers
Old September 20th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 16:39:52 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Anyone here know a way to stiffen leather toe-straps without wrecking them?

Cheers

If you soak leather with water and than let it dry it does cause the
leather to become stiff and fancy leather work is sometimes treated
this way. But how long this would last is, perhaps, a bit difficult to
determine, as flexing of the leather will effectively soften it.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 20th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Anyone here know a way to stiffen leather toe-straps without wrecking them?
Cheers

I don't know, but Google finds quite a few links for hardening leather
that look useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+stiffen+leather
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+harden+leather

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

If you want REALLY stiff straps that don't stretch, I suggest using
perforated metal straps instead of leather.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perforated-Metal-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917
Install some kind of buckle, clip, swaged snap, or bolt to secure the
strap. Add foam padding where needed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 20th 19, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

No metal toe-straps for me thank you very much. I'll continue using my leather ones or in some cases my nylon ones.

YES! I still use toe-straps. I tried clipless pedals but fell over a few times after being unable to clip out the high foot at the 12 o'clock position after coming to sudden stop. I don't have that problem with toe-clips and straps.

I don't want to HARDEN the leather just make it a bit more stiff.

Cheers
Old September 20th 19, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I don't know but new leather straps are $19.95

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 20th 19, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Funny. I switched from toe straps to clipless for exactly the same
reason. I forgot to loosen the toe straps and fell over at a stop sign
:-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 20th 19, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Anyone here know a way to stiffen leather toe-straps without wrecking them?
Cheers

I don't know, but Google finds quite a few links for hardening leather
that look useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+stiffen+leather
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+harden+leather

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

If you want REALLY stiff straps that don't stretch, I suggest using
perforated metal straps instead of leather.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Perforated-Metal-Hanger-Straps-3-4HS/100396917
Install some kind of buckle, clip, swaged snap, or bolt to secure the
strap. Add foam padding where needed.

No metal toe-straps for me thank you very much. I'll continue using my
leather ones or in some cases my nylon ones.

Just a suggestions and you're welcome very much.

Perhaps magnetic locking pedals?
https://maglockbikepedal.com
https://www.magped.com

Or, make your own from neodydium hard disk drive magnets.
https://www.instructables.com/community/magnetic-bike-pedals-DIY/

We used to have a tannery and leather store in Santa Cruz. I still
have a fair collection of leather. If you want, I can mail you some
thick pieces that might be suitable. Most are fairly soft, but a few
are thick suitable for making tank armor. The email address in the
signature works.

YES! I still use toe-straps. I tried clipless pedals but fell over
a few times after being unable to clip out the high foot at the
12 o'clock position after coming to sudden stop. I don't have that
problem with toe-clips and straps.

I couldn't find toe clips that would fit my construction boots, or
clipless adapters that I liked and could afford.

I don't want to HARDEN the leather just make it a bit more stiff.

I wasn't sure, so I provided links to both stiffen and harden. Google
search finds quite a bit of ummm... innovative ideas. Some appear a
bit too innovative. You might want to do some experiments with
leather scrap before destroying your favorite toe-straps.

I still have my toe clips, straps, and Cannondale "touring" shoes. I
never could get used to using them. I've tried to sell them along
with one of my bicycles, but failed to interest the buyer every time.

Old September 20th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 20th 19, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 20, 2019 at 5:22:37 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 8:34 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Do bicyclists still use toe clips and straps? I haven't been watching
but I don't recall seeing any for many years.

I do. My wife does. Out of the 15 or so people on today's club ride, I
think about five people used toe clips and straps.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Why am I not surprised? ;-)

Lou
Old September 20th 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Neither is better, just different.
I like toeclips with leather soled dress shoes for errands
and short rides. SiDi/ Look are preferred for longer actual
rides.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Toe Straps [email protected] Techniques 17 April 6th 09 08:39 PM
what are they, soft? John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 17 May 31st 07 07:22 AM
Soft cranks? Dieter Britz Techniques 4 May 24th 07 11:40 PM
fs: Toe-Straps Mike Marketplace 0 July 28th 06 06:24 PM
If soft seats are not good, why have soft shorts? wle Techniques 22 May 24th 06 07:35 PM