Relaxing watch

Old December 18th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Relaxing watch

On 12/18/2019 11:13 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:28:27 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
http://coastcycles.nyc/#intro Repro bikes bringing back the worst of the good old days. Who shellacs bar tape? And what's the fascination with cantis?

-- Jay Beattie.

They didn't noticed that the world has moved on since the seventies last century. Canti's on a new custom bike? Fenders $1000?? WTF? Do you have to have a weird haircut and ungly tattoos to be a custom bike builder in Brooklyn?

Of course you do! Like so much else in life and bicycling, Thou Shalt
Not question the current fashions!

Good grief, do you ride _without_ dreadlocks and tattoos? How archaic!
Next thing we know, you'll be using two chainrings and a front
derailleur! A rod actuated one!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 18th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

jbeattie wrote:
http://coastcycles.nyc/#intro Repro bikes bringing back
the worst of the good old days. Who shellacs bar tape?
And what's the fascination with cantis?

-- Jay Beattie.

They didn't noticed that the world has moved on since the
seventies last century. Canti's on a new custom bike?
Fenders $1000?? WTF? Do you have to have a weird haircut
and ungly tattoos to be a custom bike builder in Brooklyn?

Of course you do! Like so much else in life and bicycling,
Thou Shalt Not question the current fashions!

Good grief, do you ride _without_ dreadlocks and tattoos?
How archaic! Next thing we know, you'll be using two
chainrings and a front derailleur! A rod actuated one!

Lever control FD shift better than anything until EPS.
Not convenient to many riders but shifting is excellent.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 18th 19, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 8:23:36 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/18/2019 10:28 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 5:44:14 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 6:55 PM, John B. wrote:

For those who want a real bicycle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWrQNidlnA
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.

The comments under that video could have been RBT posts..

And mostly deserved bashing. http://coastcycles.nyc/#intro Repro bikes bringing back the worst of the good old days.

You sounds like a guy who walks into an art museum and says "What??
They're still using PAINT?? They're still hanging things on walls? Why
isn't this stuff all digital?"

Like it or not, art (AKA personal taste) influences bicycle design. And
as with modern houses (some built with Victorian, or farmhouse, or Arts
& Crafts era elements) there are people who prefer aesthetic elements
from earlier times. Ditto for cars, clothing, music, furnishings,
landscaping, etc.

Who shellacs bar tape? And what's the fascination with cantis?

I don't get shellac on bar tape. But cantis function very well. What's
the fascination with bashing them?

All of his bikes have cantis. Even his supposed "fast bike" has cantis: http://coastcycles.nyc/the-road-bike-1 Do all of your bikes have cantis? Thus my comment about his fascination with cantis.

And personally, I think they suck. I remember getting canti bosses on the bike I rode across the US, having done the transcon ride with NR standard reach brakes with fenders. I was expecting this super-strong Mavic/Matthauser braking extravaganza and ended up pining away for my old NR brakes. They worked poorly on my T1000, too, but I did get the set on my tandem working pretty well -- although the rims over-heated on long descents and blew tires.

With the availability of discs, I see no reason for cantis, except as some artistic expression or historical reenactment. When I'm in the mood for historical reenactment, I like to reach way back in history and just use a stick in my fork crown or a coaster brake -- or drag my foot.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 18th 19, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:
On Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 4:28:27 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 5:44:14 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 6:55 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 19:41:51 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/16/2019 6:05 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 3:41 PM, wrote:
I find this as relaxing to watch as it is to build the bike yourself
(sorry about the adds). Warning it takes 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Ankrlg18A

just one movie per day ;-)

Lou

Oh.
I expected 'building a bike'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuazU0IJUGA

Right, much more interesting!

Assembling a bike would be a challenge if someone first disassembled
absolutely every component that could be take apart and threw all the
bits in a bucket. Derailleur, brakes, cranks, hubs, etc. (OK, I'd skip
the chain.)

That would be a fitting puzzle for a Real Cyclist (TM).

For those who want a real bicycle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWrQNidlnA
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.

The comments under that video could have been RBT posts..

And mostly deserved bashing. http://coastcycles.nyc/#intro Repro bikes
bringing back the worst of the good old days. Who shellacs bar tape?
And what's the fascination with cantis?

-- Jay Beattie.

They didn't noticed that the world has moved on since the seventies last
century. Canti's on a new custom bike? Fenders $1000?? WTF? Do you have
to have a weird haircut and ungly tattoos to be a custom bike builder in Brooklyn?

Lou

No, but it helps :-)

Old December 18th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

O.K., and further to my last, have you lived in a Victorian house? I have. Most of your time is spent trying not to freeze to death and hoping the knob-and-slob wiring doesn't catch fire. Most have ship-lap or barn siding, rotten sash cords, AWOL sash weights, rotting pipe -- asbestos everything. There was no code, so predictions as to stud dimensions and location have to be done with the Victorian home computer: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...zOq4miH18Ke2&s My favorite part are the additions -- typically a bathroom tacked on with a foundation made from rocks or a room made from a sagging, under-built former sun porch.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 18th 19, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 18 December 2019 15:41:17 UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

O.K., and further to my last, have you lived in a Victorian house? I have.. Most of your time is spent trying not to freeze to death and hoping the knob-and-slob wiring doesn't catch fire. Most have ship-lap or barn siding, rotten sash cords, AWOL sash weights, rotting pipe -- asbestos everything. There was no code, so predictions as to stud dimensions and location have to be done with the Victorian home computer: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic..com/...zOq4miH18Ke2&s My favorite part are the additions -- typically a bathroom tacked on with a foundation made from rocks or a room made from a sagging, under-built former sun porch.

-- Jay Beattie.

I have cantilever brakes on my MTBs and on my touring bike. It takes a while to get them set up and adjusted for best performance. that's more so wth the Cmapagnolo Mirage 9-speed Ergos I have on my dedicated road touring bike. I was going to convert it to V-brakes and bar-end shifters for better braking in winter in slush and snow. I bought Tecktro V-brake levers for the dropbar.

Were I to buy a new touring bike I'd seriously consider mechanical discs for better braking and for the fact there's nothing to get in the way of my panniers. However that'd mean having to buy a new rack for the rear and maybe a new rack for the front depending on if my present racks would fit. Having to chuck perfectly good present touring racks for disc brake specific ones is the main reason I haven't gone to a disc brake bike. Then too, I've read many horror stories of disc brakes squealing. When I'm riding trails and hoping to see critters I can images of I sure don't want brakes that squeal.

So far my cantilever brakes are okay for most of my uses with snow and slush being the exceptions.

Cheers
Old December 18th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/18/2019 3:23 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Let's see... [counting] I guess I have three bikes that don't have
cantis. Two of those are in storage, literally never ridden. So I have
more bikes with cantis than without.

And BTW, it seems his bike are custom. Perhaps it's his customers
preference, yes? They are my preference.

And personally, I think they suck.

That's fine. I disagree.

I remember getting canti bosses on the bike I rode across the US, having done the transcon ride with NR standard reach brakes with fenders. I was expecting this super-strong Mavic/Matthauser braking extravaganza and ended up pining away for my old NR brakes. They worked poorly on my T1000, too, but I did get the set on my tandem working pretty well -- although the rims over-heated on long descents and blew tires.

I'm curious about specifics. How did the cantis on your T1000 work
poorly? The original L-shaped ones on my identical bike (the 1986 model)
worked fine, but the long horizontal arm interfered with my chosen
panniers. After a few years I replaced them with the compact variety.
They've always been fine, and are still fine.

The worst problem with them has been occasional noise, when the pads
wear the toe-in away. It doesn't happen often, and it takes just a few
minutes to fix.

I admit they're a little fiddly to adjust, but it's nothing I can't
handle. And I appreciate the extra adjustability - especially being able
to choose the mechanical advantage.

With the availability of discs, I see no reason for cantis, except as some artistic expression or historical reenactment.

Sounds to me like the disc brake fan club is getting ever more adamant.
"YOU SHOULD NEVER CHOOSE BRAKE THAT ARE NOT DISCS!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 18th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/18/2019 3:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you misread. I said "... as with MODERN houses ... built with
Victorian elements." [Emphasis added.]

We have some of those around here. They are a pleasant contrast to the
modern American suburban lump where the garage door is the dominant
architectural "feature" of the house. Some are built with large,
friendly and picturesque porches, some with turret rooms, and some with
layouts and shapes that distinguish them from big featureless boxes
attached to garages.

I've been in a couple. They were completely modern and comfortable inside.

On a recent vacation on Amelia Island, Florida, I spent time biking
though a (relatively) new neighborhood, perhaps 15 years old. The layout
of the neighborhood was very friendly to pedestrians and cyclists, and
the houses were varied and charming.

It was a world away from this:
https://marketplace.canva.com/MAC_v0...AC_v0m28b8.jpg
or this:
https://live.staticflickr.com/6028/5...baa5ffb0_b.jpg

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 18th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 17:28:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

The original poster must not be very familiar with buildings :-) Both
my grand parents lived in houses built some years ago. My maternal
grand parents's house was built in the 1700's and had non of the
shortcomings mentioned.

By the way, there is noting inherently wrong with "knob and tube"
wiring.... after all it is still used in external electrical systems.
see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQNQKkvGQL0
for examples of this type of wiring.

As for "ship-lap" siding, more correctly called "clapboard"? Well, it
might be a bit archaic but it certainly looks better than aluminum
siding :-) And, as I said, my grandparents lived in a 280 year old
clapboard house and no rain was leaking through the walls.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 18th 19, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Shiplap is not the same as clapboard -- shiplap is rabbeted, clapboard
is tapered from bottom to top. Way back in the day clapboards were
rived (split) from trees, nowadays both are sawn.

Shiplap tends to be thicker, which is good if you already have it, less
good if you're buying it. Modern buildings that use either also have
sheathing underneath, either 1x stock for older houses, or plywood or
OSB for newer. 1700s houses in what's now the US typically just had the
siding, which was drafty by any modern standard.

Seriously, though, buildings, like other human constructions, turn to
**** without maintenance. A McMansion is more than likely to be a
little sad in a century or more.