To Paint or not to Paint?

Old September 15th 05, 05:36 AM
Bill Henry

Default To Paint or not to Paint?

Paul Hobson wrote:

Any tips? If I go through with this, how do I strip the current paint
off? Primer first? Am I a butthole for thinking about this? eek!

\\paul
1)http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg611a/pewg.JPG
2)I'm pretty mean with an Exacto(3). I'll easily mask/preserve the head
badge and be able to get the lugs a different color and do it well.
3)http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg611a/owl.JPG (my best stencil to date)

It may not be necessary to strip the paint to bear metal, though some
people do. You can use some Aircraft paint stripper or a similar
product. Be careful - the fumes from that stuff are pretty strong.

What does need to be done, however, is have the entire thing cleaned
thoroughly. I've always used some plain dish soap, which gets rid of
any grease and dirt, and then rub the area down with some denatured alcohol.

Preliminary sanding is then necessary to give the coats something to
stick to. I'd recommend 400 grit for this. After you're done, run over
the area with a tack cloth or wash with soap and water and then dry it
thoroughly.

Lay the color coats a tad heavier, though not so much that they drip or
run. It's probably better to err on the side of "too light" than too
heavy.

Finally, you may not need a clear coat, though many people like them. A
good polish after your color coats may be enough, followed up with some
wax. Follow the instructions on your paint cans.

As for paints, some people use Krylon, although you may get better
results with a paint designed specifically for automobiles. Duplicolor
makes some - it'll be available at Pep Boys or any automotive parts
supply store. Expect to pay a little more for this stuff, though.

Bottom line, take your time - read the instructions on the cans of
paint, and make sure you have all the materials you'll need before you
start. Also, I'd recommend some goggles, old clothes, and a dust mask
or respirator, because you WILL get paint on you in some one or another.

Good luck, and no, you're not crazy for wanting to do this.
Old September 15th 05, 06:41 AM
Paul Hobson

Ok, so I my old Peugeot [1] frame that I /fixed/ up is great. I love
the way the steel frame rides & the older, more relaxed geometry is very
comfortable. It's light, tough...I love it.

The paint ain't so good though. Lots of chips, some of which are quite
large. A good ride in the rain without immediate TLC would easily lead
to rusting. You can see where the previous owner pathetically tried to
cover the bigger ones up. The decals are ok...pretty good actually.
Two of the lugs are painted black, but it appears to be (poorly done by
hand; the other lugs are white. This leads me to believe (but can't
know) that the frame has been repainted with new decals once already.

With that in mind, would it be completely *blasphemous* to strip the
thing and get a good rattle can job with a clear coat or two?? I mean,
if I was going to do this, I'd take my time do a great job (2), but I
can't afford a powder-coating presently. I was going to leave this
frame for bad days and start fresh with a Surly, but that's definitely
not in the budget.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old September 15th 05, 01:56 PM
The Wogster

Paul Hobson wrote:
[...]

The badge can be masked off, but the decals should probably be replaced,
write or email Peugeot with the make and model of your bike and serial
number of your frame, to see if replacements can be obtained, if they
can, you may want to order a set.

If you can get decals it might be worth it, to strip everything down,
strip the old paint, repaint, then build up the bike again. With
everything apart, I would seriously consider replacing the headset, and
bottom bracket bearings, even if they don't need it (unless they are
fairly new), with everything apart, it's the time you can get at it
easiest.

Now, during reassembly, look at every component, any that look like they
need replacing or will need it soon, should be considered, for
replacement. Retape the bars, whether they need it or not, the worst
looking thing, is nice new paint, with ratty tape.....

Good luck.

Old September 15th 05, 02:02 PM
Thomas Wentworth

"Bill Henry" wrote in message
Paul Hobson wrote:

[...]

There is a shop in Georgia, if it is still in business, that will do over
your bicycle. You ship them the old frame, they strip/paint/custom/ .. it
will look better than it did when you bought it.

I know how you feel. I have a Trek touring bicycle in my cellar. It is the
best bicycle I ever owned. My problem is that the wheels are 27". This
winter I am going to see about putting on some 700c's.

Old September 15th 05, 02:51 PM
Jeff Williams

Paul Hobson wrote:
[...]

Since you love the bike, repainting it to protect it from rust would not
be blasphemous, it would be an expression of your love of the bike.

Not being a handyman (I have trouble replacing lightbulbs), I won't
comment on how best to paint the bike. I note that other posters
mention getting new decals from Peugeot: if you use the bike for
commuting and occassionally park it in questionable areas, leaving the
decals off might not be a bad idea (nor would using an awful colour be
bad). Why make the bike look appealing to thieves?

You don't mention where you live. If there are only a few small areas
sans paint, and you live in an area where sand and salt are not spread
on the roads during the winter (say, Phoenix AZ), you might easily get
away with either a bit of grease or wax on the unpainted areas. Here in
Winnipeg, if you use your bike in the winter, you need to pay a lot of
attention to the risk of corrosion.

Jeff
Old September 15th 05, 03:40 PM
catzz66

What does a powder coat paint job cost? I am fortunate enough to have
two bikes, and there is something to be said for having one that is not
too nice looking but still is very functional if you have to leave it
locked up for a while.
Old September 15th 05, 06:16 PM
Paul Hobson

catzz66 wrote:
What does a powder coat paint job cost? I am fortunate enough to have
two bikes, and there is something to be said for having one that is not
too nice looking but still is very functional if you have to leave it
locked up for a while.

I've two bikes too. The roadie bike for "cycling" and the Peugeot for
transportation. I don't want to make it look brand new, just to prevent
rusting and not be an eyesore.

Old September 15th 05, 06:22 PM
Paul Hobson

Jeff Williams wrote:
Paul Hobson wrote:

Ok, so I my old Peugeot [1] frame that I /fixed/ up is great. I love
the way the steel frame rides & the older, more relaxed geometry is
very comfortable. It's light, tough...I love it.

With that in mind, would it be completely *blasphemous* to strip the
thing and get a good rattle can job with a clear coat or two?? I
mean, if I was going to do this, I'd take my time do a great job (2),
but I can't afford a powder-coating presently. I was going to leave
this frame for bad days and start fresh with a Surly, but that's
definitely not in the budget.

Any tips? If I go through with this, how do I strip the current paint
off? Primer first? Am I a butthole for thinking about this? eek!

Since you love the bike, repainting it to protect it from rust would not
be blasphemous, it would be an expression of your love of the bike.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Not being a handyman (I have trouble replacing lightbulbs), I won't
comment on how best to paint the bike. I note that other posters
mention getting new decals from Peugeot: if you use the bike for
commuting and occassionally park it in questionable areas, leaving the
decals off might not be a bad idea (nor would using an awful colour be
bad). Why make the bike look appealing to thieves?

Yeah, I really only want to preserve the head badge. If I was splurging
on the powder coat, then I'd consider a full cosmetic restoration. I
live/work/ride in Midtown/Downtown Atlanta. I've been lucky so far, but
I often carry two types of locks if you catch my drift.

You don't mention where you live. If there are only a few small areas
sans paint, and you live in an area where sand and salt are not spread
on the roads during the winter (say, Phoenix AZ), you might easily get
away with either a bit of grease or wax on the unpainted areas. Here in
Winnipeg, if you use your bike in the winter, you need to pay a lot of
attention to the risk of corrosion.

Atlanta...wet, miserable winters, but rarely any solid forms of water -
never any salt, sand, etc. I don't want to overload y'all (or my
webspace) with pics, but some parts really are bad. It's not worth
patching, IMHO. If I'm gonna go, I need to go all out.

\\paul
Old September 15th 05, 06:26 PM
Paul Hobson

The Wogster wrote:
Paul Hobson wrote:

[...]

Aside from the head badge, I'm thinking I'm just going to ditch the
decals...going for an even more stripped down, simple look.

If you can get decals it might be worth it, to strip everything down,
strip the old paint, repaint, then build up the bike again. With
everything apart, I would seriously consider replacing the headset, and
bottom bracket bearings, even if they don't need it (unless they are
fairly new), with everything apart, it's the time you can get at it
easiest.

yeah, I've been meaning to give the headset a good inspection. Are
French headsets cher...I mean expensive? Are they rare? When I got the
frame, I inspected/repacked the BB. It was in great shape. I don't
think it's original to the bike. It was fine then, but with new bearing
and some Phil Wood grease, it's great.

Now, during reassembly, look at every component, any that look like they
need replacing or will need it soon, should be considered, for
replacement. Retape the bars, whether they need it or not, the worst
looking thing, is nice new paint, with ratty tape.....

I've built this bike up from the frame and BB, but yeah, I'll def. go
over everything once more. Also, new bullhorns are on the way, so that
might make for a convenient time to do all this.

Thanks!
\\paul
Old September 15th 05, 08:05 PM
catzz66

Paul Hobson wrote:
catzz66 wrote:

What does a powder coat paint job cost? I am fortunate enough to have
two bikes, and there is something to be said for having one that is
not too nice looking but still is very functional if you have to leave
it locked up for a while.

I've two bikes too. The roadie bike for "cycling" and the Peugeot for
transportation. I don't want to make it look brand new, just to prevent
rusting and not be an eyesore.

My second bike is all unpainted aluminum. I have never tried to paint
that kind of a surface, but if I were in your shoes, I would do the same
thing you are considering.