regina 5 speed freewheel removal (2 prong)

Old September 12th 05, 03:35 AM
dteah

Default regina 5 speed freewheel removal (2 prong)

Hi there,

I recently started doing some volunteer work for a group that takes in bike
donations, and offers a work for bike program to underprivileged children. I
have a decent tool collection some experience with bike wrenching, so I have
been handed some of the complicated mechanical problems. One involves a
Campy Nuovo Tipo or maybe a Gran Sport hub with a Regina GS Corse 5 speed
freewheel. The freewheel looks like it is meant to be removed with a 2 prong
tool similar to the Park FR2 freewheel remover that is designed to work with
Sun Tour freewheels, but the prongs on this tool are larger than the slots
in the freewheel. A well intentioned volunteer removed the hub from the
wheel by cutting the spokes. I have very little experience with parts that
are as old as these.

Any idea where I might find the correct freewheel removal tool? And since
the hub has been removed from the wheel do I have any chance at all of
removing the freewheel? I know from past experience with a BMX hub in a
similar circumstance with a single speed freewheel that typically the only
option is to destroy the freewheel. If that is the case here how can break
the Regina freewheel without destroying the hub?

Old September 12th 05, 05:09 AM
JeffWills

dteah wrote:
snip tale of woe regarding Regina freewheel
Any idea where I might find the correct freewheel removal tool? And since
the hub has been removed from the wheel do I have any chance at all of
removing the freewheel? I know from past experience with a BMX hub in a
similar circumstance with a single speed freewheel that typically the only
option is to destroy the freewheel. If that is the case here how can break
the Regina freewheel without destroying the hub?

That freewheel requires a particular removal tool, such as this:
http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=BR-CT1

You need to hold the tool onto the freewheel with the skewer and use
the rest of the wheel...

ooops...

With the spokes cut, you're basically screwed. You might be able to
relace a rim to the hub with Hozan double-bend "aero" spokes, but
they're almost as impossible to find as the Regina freewheel tool.
Without the leverage of a wheel, it's darn near impossible to remove
the freewheel- or even the remnants of the freewheel body should you
dissassemble the freewheel in an attempt to salvage the hub.

That's my story- maybe one of the gurus knows how to unscrew the
inscrutable.

Jeff

Old September 12th 05, 09:04 AM
Hank Wirtz

"JeffWills" wrote in
ups.com:

dteah wrote:

With the spokes cut, you're basically screwed. You might be able to
relace a rim to the hub with Hozan double-bend "aero" spokes, but
they're almost as impossible to find as the Regina freewheel tool.
Without the leverage of a wheel, it's darn near impossible to remove
the freewheel- or even the remnants of the freewheel body should you
dissassemble the freewheel in an attempt to salvage the hub.

That's my story- maybe one of the gurus knows how to unscrew the
inscrutable.

Would it be possible to just lace 4 or 8 spokes to a rim, all on the non-
drive side, just to get the freewheel off? It's not like the wheel would
need to be rideable...

Just a thought...

Old September 12th 05, 10:38 AM
m-gineering

dteah wrote:

[...]

In this case i wonder if either parts are worth it, but it will be
educational

What might work:

get the proper remover and bolt it to the freewheel with the skewer
(tight)

put fw in vise (alternatively you can take the FW apart (remove cogs
with chainwhips) remove cone with hammer and punch (LH thread), and let
the bits fly, clamp vise on body)

get 8 or 18 scrap longish spokes, cut of the heads and give them a extra
bend for a z shape. (or grind the sides of the spokehead)

feed the spokes in the flange closest to the FW and radially lace them
to a stout rim

Turn the rim to tighten the spokes and hopefully unscrew hub

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old September 12th 05, 01:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

JeffWills wrote:
dteah wrote:
[...]

After getting the correct tool, you need to partially lace the wheel,
with enough spokes to be able to put the tool into a vise and then
remove the freewheel.

Old September 12th 05, 03:03 PM

dteah wrote:
[snip]
Campy Nuovo Tipo or maybe a Gran Sport hub with a Regina GS Corse 5 speed
freewheel.
A well intentioned volunteer removed the hub from the
wheel by cutting the spokes.
...since
the hub has been removed from the wheel do I have any chance at all of
removing the freewheel?

Don't lace spokes to the non-drive side! You will almost certainly
twist the hub spool and ruin the hub. If you want to save the hub, lace
the spokes in the drive side flange only.

Or...

After the freewheel tool is in the vise, use a monkey wrench on the
drive side flange. I did this and it was easy, though the flange had
four small gouges from the serrations on the wrench.

Old September 12th 05, 03:08 PM
dteah

Thanks everyone for all the responses. It looks like I can get the tool from
Harris Cyclery(http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=566). It
certainly would not be a problem to lace the hub back to the rim on the non
drive side, don't know if that would give me enough leverage to do this or
not, but it is worth a try.

m...

Old September 12th 05, 08:51 PM
dteah

Alright, it is a bit unclear to me as to how I could get spokes into the
drive side flange since the freewheel is still on. Right now there are the
ends of the spokes still in the holes, I suppose I can get these out by
clipping off the heads, but that sort of leaves me wondering how I will go
about fitting new spokes in there.

wrote in message
ps.com...
[snip]

Old September 12th 05, 11:19 PM
Ted Bennett

In article ,
"dteah" +dteah*@yahoo*.&com wrote:

Alright, it is a bit unclear to me as to how I could get spokes into the
drive side flange since the freewheel is still on. Right now there are the
ends of the spokes still in the holes, I suppose I can get these out by
clipping off the heads, but that sort of leaves me wondering how I will go
about fitting new spokes in there.

Remove the sprockets from the freewheel, and you'll have lots of room.
You will need two chainwhips. Normal, i.e. counterclockwise to loosen,
threads.

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 13th 05, 01:47 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:35:54 +0000, dteah wrote:

I recently started doing some volunteer work for a group that takes in bike
donations, and offers a work for bike program to underprivileged children. I
have a decent tool collection some experience with bike wrenching, so I have
been handed some of the complicated mechanical problems. One involves a
Campy Nuovo Tipo or maybe a Gran Sport hub with a Regina GS Corse 5 speed
freewheel. The freewheel looks like it is meant to be removed with a 2 prong
tool similar to the Park FR2 freewheel remover that is designed to work with
Sun Tour freewheels, but the prongs on this tool are larger than the slots
in the freewheel. A well intentioned volunteer removed the hub from the
wheel by cutting the spokes. I have very little experience with parts that
are as old as these.

You're basically screwed. There is no way to get enough torque to remove
that freewheel without the hub being laced to a rim. If the hub is
high-flange and the freewheel is a corncob (14-18 or so), then you can
re-lace the hub into a wheel and maybe get it off. Removing a freewheel
takes a _lot_ of force, since (among other things) it was tightened on
there through years of riding.

The procedure is to put the tool's teeth on the freewheel, secure it with
a quick-release skewer (not really tight, but snug), then clamp the tool
in a bench vice. Grab the rim and try to turn it. Hard. Having a tire
on the rim helps, too, to keep your hands from digging into the rim.

With no rim on there, applying enough force will certainly bend the hub
shell before you can loosen the threads.

You might be able to re-lace the wheel by removing the cogs from the
freewheel body. Tighten up the spokes fairly evenly (but of course you
don't need to completely true it) and give it a shot. If the tool gouges
out the notches, or if you can't find a proper tool, you can take the
freewheel apart, sweep all those little bearings into the trash, and use a
big pipe wrench on the innerds of the freewheel body.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
_`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
(_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"