Fenders - front mudflap important ?

Old September 14th 05, 04:27 PM
mark

Default Fenders - front mudflap important ?

"Bob" wrote...
How important is a front mudflap when using fenders? Does lot of spray
come up off the front wheel and hit the lower part of the bike? I'm
thinking of protection from riding on wet roads and through remaining
puddles, not riding in the rain.

I get a fair bit of spray on my feet even w/ a front fender, not so much on
the bike. If that's a concern than go with a mudflap. I'm seriously
considering a front mudflap for this winter.
--
mark
Thanks,

Old September 14th 05, 05:17 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:57:53 GMT, Bob wrote:

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

Unless you ride really fast, even leather will work.

Some suggestions:

A piece cut from a rubber floor mat of the type sold for cars.
A trimmed car mud flap. (These still exist, believe it or not, and
are generally made of a tough plastic now.)
Thick leather, heavily oiled.
An AOL CD. (No, really, I've seen this done.)
A piece of conveyor belt material.

I'm sure that there will be other suggestions.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 14th 05, 06:03 PM
mark

"Bob" wrote
Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

The folks at Rivendell suggest cutting up an old water bottle and using zip
ties to attach it. Looks really good on a $2400 custom frame...

I've seen mudflaps made by SKS to fit their fenders, but I don't know where
they're offered for sale.

I've also seen beautiful leather mudflaps made by Gilles Berthoud, offered
by Peter White Cycles. Looked pretty elegant for smething that's going to
get dragged through the mud on a regular basis.
--
mark

Old September 14th 05, 07:28 PM
Andrew F Martin

A buddy of mine in Seattle made something called "Flapjax" which is a
carbon fiber flap - mostly to go on the rear. Looks rather appropriate
on a nicer race bike.

Old September 14th 05, 07:31 PM
Brian Huntley

Bob wrote:

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

Stair tread - the flexible kind typically used for basement stairs. You
can cut at least 4 out of a single one, which costs about $2 at a
hardware store.

The stuff they sell on a roll is, oddly, less flexible and doesn't work
as well.

Old September 14th 05, 07:40 PM
Andrew F Martin

My front flap is actually more of a "scoop". I use this blue Sewer
evacuation hose (soft, lays flat when not full) that I cut down its
lenght and wrap around the fender. It works well because it catches
much of the spray generated by the water running off the tire and into
the fender. It channels the water down below my feet which is what I'm
usually most trying to keep un-soaked.

Old September 15th 05, 12:32 AM
philcycles

Front flaps are a necesity. I use a piece of a polyethelene water jug.
Stair treads work as well. The best one I ever saw was made out of the
portective rubber liner that protects truck inner tubes from chafing on
the wheel.They can often be found in the trash at a truck tire
dealer-by truck I mean semi.
Phil Brown

Old September 15th 05, 02:57 AM
Gary Jacobson

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:57:53 GMT, Bob wrote:

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

I use Berthoud leather mud flaps on my "heavy" bikes .

On my light fendered bikes I just rivet a piece of laundry detergent bottle.
Cut out the short side of a laundry detergent bottle. Trace the pattern of
one side of a seam on the short side of the bottle and fold it along the
seam and then cut. Perfectly symetrical.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old September 15th 05, 03:39 AM

Bob wrote:

Thanks boys, that's all I needed to know. except,er... anyone know of
a good material that can be worked into a front mudflap? Some sort of
thick vinyl used for some other purpose normally?

It doesn't need to be particularly thick, depending how you shape it.
Mine are thin polyethelene, cut from gallon jugs of grocery liquids -
distilled water, vinegar, etc.

I cut it into a shape vaguely like the silhouette of the Liberty bell.
I drill a 1/4" hole near the top of the flap, to match a 1/4" hole
about 1" above the lowest point of the fender.

I hold the flap in place with a nylon 1/4" screw and a wing nut. It's
there only when needed. The rest of the time it lives in my bike bag.

It fastens to the inner surface of the fender, not behind the fender.
This way the fender gives it a curve, so it's got some stiffness. But
the lowest widest part is still flexible. This is important for riding
over bumps, carrying the bike down stairs, etc. You don't want a rigid
flap to snag and harm your fender.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 15th 05, 05:07 AM
Dan Daniel

Hardware stores (should) sell 6"x6" sheets of thin rubber in the
plumbing section, either black or red (well, KoolStop would call the
color 'salmon' I've used the 1/16" thick with excellent results.
Just trim to make a 1-2" tab on the top that will go on the inside of
the fender. Short bolts with fender washers to hold in place.

Some hardware stored will have the material in rolls for sale by the
foot if you need a longer flap.