How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Old January 19th 09, 02:13 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:22:39 -0800, in alt.war.vietnam
(Tom Keats) wrote:

I have two words: Lamborghini Countache...

I'm not real sure what you're trying to say; however, it sounds like
you're pointing out that one finds conspicuous consumption in many
other areas of our lives besides bicycles... if that is, in fact, your
point, then I will agree.

I'm just saying: a bike is a bike is a bike.

Oh. OK... I suppose I'd have to agree with that.

What's a Lamborghini Countache?

Jones

Old January 19th 09, 02:36 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

(Tom Keats) wrote:

I have two words: Lamborghini Countache...
I'm not real sure what you're trying to say; however, it sounds like
you're pointing out that one finds conspicuous consumption in many
other areas of our lives besides bicycles... if that is, in fact, your
point, then I will agree.

I'm just saying: a bike is a bike is a bike.

Oh. OK... I suppose I'd have to agree with that.

What's a Lamborghini Countache?

pedant probably a spelling mistake (no training 'e') /pedant?

As for "a bike is a bike is a bike", well, depends what you want to do
with it. Would Sam Whittingham have managed a world-record undrafted 81
mph, or would Chris Hoy have won 3 Olympic Golds, or Lance Armstrong 7
Tour de France, if they'd all been using, say, Dutch city bikes?

I have several bikes, because they all do very different things
particularly well. The Burrows 8 freight lets me do serious freight and
shopping duties easily, the Brompton folder is incredibly convenient for
short trips or if I need to integrate with other transport, my recumbent
tourer lets me soak up leisure miles all day in comfort. You can't
effectively substitute one for another, though all are bikes are bikes
are bikes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 19th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Jan 16, 7:32 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:30 pm, !Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:00:42 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam
You can buy a $70 bike at walmart, target, kmart. they'll ride fine
and can be used to commute.
Oh, in today's market, methinks I'd budget about $500 or so for a
decent commuter. Then about half again for the racks, fenders, and
panniers... those accesories ain't cheap!

Jones- Hide quoted text -

So you would pay $750 when you could pay $70. The world is full of
crazy and queer fools.

A $70 might ride fine for, oooh, whole days before it starts showing why
it cost $70. If you want something that rides fine (a value of "fine"
that is *much* finer than the $70 Bicycle Shaped Object), and continues
to ride fine, and doesn't cover you in a stream of cack when the road is
wet, and carries luggage comfortably mounted on the bike rather than
uncomfortably on you, and doesn't have the wheels go out of true any
time you hit a big bump, etc., etc., etc. then you'll pay the higher price.

Let me offer an analogy:

[Background perspective] I used to collect old computers and so have
a bunch of experience with those heavy-duty IBM "clicky" (buckling
spring mechanism) keyboards, which offer a consistent tactile "feel",
are extremely durable and reliable.

I remember watching this guy in a workplace one time (there would be
no limit of other examples). He was using the OEM keyboard that came
with whatever commodity PC was installed there. One or more of the
keys was sticky or something and sometimes worked - sometimes not.
This poor guy kept occasionally mis-typing as a result and kept having
to go back and fix things. Each time you could see his annoyance and
aggravation, but apparently it wasn't enough trouble at any particular
time for him to realize how much aggregate difficulty could be
prevented if he just got a better keyboard. Aside from the seconds at
a time that it was stealing form their lives, that cheap-o keyboard
probably elevated the blood pressure thus shortening the lifespan of
everybody who operated it.

Old January 19th 09, 06:40 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

!Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Oh. OK... I suppose I'd have to agree with that.
What's a Lamborghini Countache?

It's Pagani's early design. Here's the nice one:
http://www.paganiautomobili.it/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 19th 09, 08:48 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:36:53 +0000, in alt.war.vietnam Peter Clinch
wrote:

I'm just saying: a bike is a bike is a bike.

Oh. OK... I suppose I'd have to agree with that.

As for "a bike is a bike is a bike", well, depends what you want to do
with it.

I don't know *how* I could be any more clear; I agree with it. It's a
tautologically true statement; its truth value is inherent and depends
upon nothing.

"Gold is where you find it."

"This man is as good as his word."

It's either Monday or it's some other day."

It is indisputably true and does not rely upon any interpretation of
the subject or context.

Only a moron would argue with: "A bike is a bike is a bike."

Jones

Old January 19th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc
Carl Sundquist

!Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Oh. OK... I suppose I'd have to agree with that.
What's a Lamborghini Countache?

It's Pagani's early design. Here's the nice one:
http://www.paganiautomobili.it/

Looks like a carbon copy of the McLaren F1