Rides out of Bright

Old September 10th 05, 12:40 PM
Addlac

Default Rides out of Bright

Evening all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Have appreciated the thoughtful advice
& discussion posted here since discovering.

I am looking at spending a few days at Bright (Vic) over the coming school
holidays and would like to ride some hills while there. Does anyone know of
or could recomend some rides (60-120K). I like the thought of riding up to
Mt Hotham. Is that a possibility at this time of year? How long/steep is the
climb? I have been riding in the Dandenongs most weeks and thoroughly enjoy
them.

Oh, and if anyone knows how to keep ones sanity while camping with a couple
of gorgeous boy mad 14 yo girls at a caravan par, please let me know.

Thanks, Mulligrub.

Old September 11th 05, 12:17 AM
DaveB

Addlac wrote:

Oh, and if anyone knows how to keep ones sanity while camping with a couple
of gorgeous boy mad 14 yo girls at a caravan par, please let me know.

Take them to the maze at Wandiligong. If you've got bikes you could all
ride there to make a day trip of it. Again if you've got bikes you could
ride back down the rail trail to Porepunkah or further. The bike shop at
bright hires out bikes too I think.

For rides for yourself, you're right in the middle of the Alpine Classic
route so you can head up Mt Buffalo or across Tawonga Gap and up to
Falls Creek.

DaveB
Old September 11th 05, 02:04 AM
ProfTournesol

DaveB Wrote:
Addlac wrote:

Oh, and if anyone knows how to keep ones sanity while camping with a

couple
of gorgeous boy mad 14 yo girls at a caravan par, please let me

know.

Take them to the maze at Wandiligong. If you've got bikes you could
all
ride there to make a day trip of it. Again if you've got bikes you
could
ride back down the rail trail to Porepunkah or further. The bike shop
at
bright hires out bikes too I think.

For rides for yourself, you're right in the middle of the Alpine
Classic
route so you can head up Mt Buffalo or across Tawonga Gap and up to
Falls Creek.

DaveB

you can also take them on the rail trail. Also check out the tea shoppe
(not the bakery) - great patisserie. but hey, they're 14 yo girls,
whatever you do will be boring (whether it is or not)!

--
ProfTournesol

Old September 11th 05, 04:33 AM
Jay Woo

Addlac wrote:
Evening all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Have appreciated the thoughtful advice
& discussion posted here since discovering.

I am looking at spending a few days at Bright (Vic) over the coming school
holidays and would like to ride some hills while there. Does anyone know of
or could recomend some rides (60-120K). I like the thought of riding up to
Mt Hotham.

If you and your party like hills, I'd suggest starting with 'Bright to
Mt Beauty'. Then if you are still feeling fresh @ Mt Beauty you can
continue on to Falls Creek. Mt Hotham will be fine this time of year,
though it's a big ride (well for me; 30kms of 'up').

To get a run down on all the hills in the area they're listed on
Cyle2max.
http://tinyurl.com/9czo7

If you want to read about my last trip to the area;
http://www.freewebs.com/jaywoo/bike/index.html

Enjoy

Old September 11th 05, 11:15 AM
Bleve

Addlac wrote:
Evening all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Have appreciated the thoughtful advice
& discussion posted here since discovering.

I am looking at spending a few days at Bright (Vic) over the coming school
holidays and would like to ride some hills while there. Does anyone know of
or could recomend some rides (60-120K). I like the thought of riding up to
Mt Hotham. Is that a possibility at this time of year? How long/steep is the
climb? I have been riding in the Dandenongs most weeks and thoroughly enjoy
them.

Tawonga gap to Mt Beauty & back is a good 50km ride with 2 good
climbs (over, and back!)- Tawonga is around about the 1:20 or so, so if
you
ride Mt Dandenong regularly, you'll enjoy it.

Hotham or Falls at this time of year is still a bit
iffy - you'll have to see what the weather's like. We've been
up at Hotham in November and been snowed on, see this lot :
http://www.aboc.com.au/images/galler...climbing_camp/

Riding up in snow is ok,
but descending is *very* dangerous - ok down towards Omeo, but I'd not
want to chance the Harrietville side if there's much in the way of bad
weather.

You can do a big loop if the weather's bad - ride the Tawonga gap,
over to Mt Beauty, then head back down the King valley and cross back
into the
Ovens valley at the next gap - I can't recall its name, but a melways
will see you through. You can also do Buffalo - probably a better bet
if the weather's bad - it's not got the same steep sections as the
Harrietville side of Hotham - descending the Meg or CRB hill in windy,
wet weather? No thanks ...

Oh, and if anyone knows how to keep ones sanity while camping with a couple
of gorgeous boy mad 14 yo girls at a caravan par, please let me know.

Give them boys!