Better than bells

Old September 5th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Better than bells

wrote:
Bob wrote:

I'm not a big fan of bells but they aren't dangerous. Dangerous is
riding in the door zone and relying on your reaction time, the caution
of parked motorists, and their reaction time when that caution fails.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

yeah, well, I was a courier at the time so it's do that or don't make
enough to put food on the table (plus get blacklisted by dispatch), no
choice in that kind of occupation. now, all my rides are out in the
boonies, no bell, no problemo

Nothing throws a monkey wrench into a delivery
like hitting a door. Don't ride in the door zone,
rookies. At least, not with any speed.

Old September 6th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:13:19 GMT, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:28:45 GMT, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

{context???}

(And yes, he got a big wide scrape on his helmet; would
have lost some scalp for sure.)

How do you know "for sure"? Was the scrape as deep as the thickness
of the helmet? If not, wouldn't his head missed entirely whatever it
was that "scraped" the surface of the helmet?

Can't argue with THAT "logic"!

He asked you a few questions. Can you answer any of them?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 6th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Pat Lamb" wrote in message
The human voice: the ultimate alert device.

It was almost as much fun as yelling "beep-beep" at a couple kids last
week -- one of them asked me as I passed, "Do you have a horn on that
bike?"

Sometimes motorists respond very well to a voice-generated imitated car
horn -- much better than the cheery tinkle of a typical bike bell.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old September 6th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Hobson

Claire Petersky wrote:
"Pat Lamb" wrote in message
The human voice: the ultimate alert device.

It was almost as much fun as yelling "beep-beep" at a couple kids last
week -- one of them asked me as I passed, "Do you have a horn on that
bike?"

Sometimes motorists respond very well to a voice-generated imitated car
horn -- much better than the cheery tinkle of a typical bike bell.

I stick to:
"Let's go, man"
"Watch it there, idiot"
"HEY HEY HEY HEYYYYY!!!"

Also
Pointing at drivers seems to help them see me. Maybe just a series of
coincidences leads me to believe this, but I think our social
insecurities alert us to pointers even in our periphery.
\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old September 6th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 23:23:42 GMT, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Why do you rail against helmets while owning numerous models and
photographing them admiringly, comparing their ventilation
characteristics (not to mention wearing them about 70% of the time
you ride)?

You know, the more I think about your comments about helmets the more
I realize you're just plain stupid. Equating skepticism about the
efficacy of helmets, or even just questions about them with being
anti-helmet or railing against helmets. Dopey.

As I've said many times, we're all ignorant about some things. I'm
ignorant about many things. But I'm also aware of most of my
ignorance and try to deal with it -- either by learning or by at least
not arguing about things I don't know.

While the true dopes revel in their ignornance and argue about things
they don't understand. Like simple division. Or questions about
helmets. LOL.

{8 annoying sig lines snipped}

Gee, for a bright guy you sure have to answer posts TWICE a lot.

ROTFL

Old September 6th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat in TX

Sometimes motorists respond very well to a voice-generated imitated car
horn -- much better than the cheery tinkle of a typical bike bell.

I stick to:
"Let's go, man"
"Watch it there, idiot"
"HEY HEY HEY HEYYYYY!!!"

Next time, I'm going to give it the old Ah-OOO-gah car horn and see what
happens!

Bells to be made compulsory? "Scotland on Sunday" want your opinion. [email protected] UK 30 August 21st 06 03:00 PM
Da Bell's aspenmike Unicycling 8 August 8th 06 06:53 PM
Cycle-cops and bike bells Tamyka Bell Australia 34 June 17th 04 03:00 AM
BBC take on bells bill Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 April 30th 04 05:51 PM
Bells On the Trail myocardial Unicycling 15 October 12th 03 10:26 PM