Stoned, drunk driver who killed a cyclist jailed.

Old June 8th 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default Stoned, drunk driver who killed a cyclist jailed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm
Old June 8th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

spindrift wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

More shroud waving?
Old June 8th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Marc wrote:

spindrift wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

More shroud waving?

It wasn't all that bad.

At least we can see that the new offences of causing death by driving whilst
unlicensed/uninsured are being applied.
Old June 8th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"Marc" wrote in message
spindrift wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

More shroud waving?

actually this one was worth highlighting - if only because of the decent
length of sentence handed down. 7.5 years and lifetime driving ban with a
guilty plea. No slap on the wrists this time.

Would have been better for Spindrift to mention than though.

pk

Old June 8th 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Marc wrote:

spindrift wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

More shroud waving?

It wasn't all that bad.

I didn't bother reading it. I was simply following through on my promise
to point out to spindrift why some people would lump him in with Doug
under the "nutter" category.
Old June 9th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"spindrift" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

Is this Doug?

Old June 9th 09, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On Jun 8, 8:26*pm, "pk" wrote:
"Marc" wrote in message

spindrift wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/8089812.stm

More shroud waving?

actually this one was worth highlighting - if only because of the decent
length of sentence handed down. *7.5 years and lifetime driving ban with a
guilty plea. No slap on the wrists this time.

Would have been better for Spindrift to mention than though.

pk

Had the driver committed the offence two years ago the sentence would
be very different.

Levy's picture is in the report, he won't be able to hide long.

OT, I wonder if that's a traveller name?
Old June 9th 09, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

spindrift wrote:

Had the driver committed the offence two years ago the sentence would
be very different.

Yes, It may well have been more severe - they may have used
murder/manslaughter.

Now they can use these specially created less serious offence,
especially as there is less of a burden of proof required, although they
do carry lighter sentences.

--
Matt B