Shimano hubs with sealed bearings?

Old March 3rd 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Shimano hubs with sealed bearings?

I've got a burly 36 spoke rear wheel with a pitted Ultegra 6500 hub.
I've been poking around looking for a replacement, I was talking to a
friend of mine about it. He had a pitted loose-ball Suntour Superbe
Pro hub. A mechanic used a "Surly New Hub Hardware Kit" and some 6001
series Enduro cartridge bearings to good effect.

Anybody try this? The Surly hubs are single speed, don't know how that
might affect its capability of being useable.

Old March 3rd 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 2, 5:23*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
I've got a burly 36 spoke rear wheel with a pitted Ultegra 6500 hub.
I've been poking around looking for a replacement, I was talking to a
friend of mine about it. He had a pitted loose-ball Suntour Superbe
Pro hub. A mechanic used a "Surly New Hub Hardware Kit" and some 6001
series Enduro cartridge bearings to good effect.

Anybody try this? The Surly hubs are single speed, don't know how that
might affect its capability of being useable.

Surly uses standard diameter threaded axles, so that part is not a
problem. The hardware kit will have the right thread.

I'm just wondering if a cartridge bearing will seat properly in your
Ultegra hub. I also assume you are doing nothing on the freehub
side. You will need to use the existing cone/nut for that side (so
half of your hardware purchase would be for naught). -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 3rd 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Mar 2, 9:11*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:23*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:

I've got a burly 36 spoke rear wheel with a pitted Ultegra 6500 hub.
I've been poking around looking for a replacement, I was talking to a
friend of mine about it. He had a pitted loose-ball Suntour Superbe
Pro hub. A mechanic used a "Surly New Hub Hardware Kit" and some 6001
series Enduro cartridge bearings to good effect.

Anybody try this? The Surly hubs are single speed, don't know how that
might affect its capability of being useable.

Surly uses standard diameter threaded axles, so that part is not a
problem. The hardware kit will have the right thread.

I'm just wondering if a cartridge bearing will seat properly in your
Ultegra hub. *I also assume you are doing nothing on the freehub
side. *You will need to use the existing cone/nut for that side (so
half of your hardware purchase would be for naught). -- Jay Beattie.

Any of you shop guys know the answer to this? I should mention that
it's the hub shell that's pitted, so as far as I can tell this would
avoid a total loss.

Bearings on shimano dynamo hubs torn Techniques 14 June 19th 09 12:35 AM
Replacement sealed bearings... for Wellgo sealed axles.. (e.g. 24 Butterflies, Mags) Sponge Unicycling 13 November 4th 07 04:15 PM
Sealed wheel bearings FB Techniques 4 July 26th 07 02:49 AM
WTB: Mavic Axle and Sealed hub Bearings mike Marketplace 0 December 3rd 06 12:24 AM
How To Re-Grease Sealed Bearings? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 17 November 14th 06 01:14 AM