Exercise and Age

Old November 10th 04, 07:48 PM
Maggie

"Beverly" wrote in message ...

Now that's good to hear. I've rode a bike all my life but just started
doing it seriously a couple years ago at age 59. Bought my first road bike
just this year. I'm looking forward to flying all the time at age 69!!!

Beverly

You are my hero. I decided at 50 that if I did not move my ass, I
would be dead in a few years. My doctor has been telling me that I
have to exercise. Walk, bike, whatever...and I have not listened to
him. I have two aunts who had heart attacks in their 50's. They were
not very overweight, but they had problems with their blood pressure
and stress. They never exercised. My kids have been yelling at me for
the last two years to stop killing myself. I work too much and I eat
nothing but junk. You inspire me to be a better person. That is a high
compliment to pay someone. Thank you. I am leaving for Lake Tahoe in
two weeks and look forward to riding bikes with my niece and my
daughter. It will be beautiful to ride out there considering I ride in
Jersey. ;-)
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 08:20 PM
Cheto

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...

I am leaving for Lake Tahoe in
two weeks and look forward to riding bikes with my niece and my
daughter. It will be beautiful to ride out there considering I ride in
Jersey. ;-)

Lake Tahoe is indeed a beautiful place, but pretty chilly at the end of Nov.
with daytime highs generally in the upper 30's and night time lows in the
teens and 20's. So be sure to bring plenty of warm clothes and skis if you
have them. Lotsa snow so far this year.

Cheto....Lived there for 15 years

Old November 10th 04, 08:40 PM
Terry Morse

Maggie wrote:

I am leaving for Lake Tahoe in
two weeks and look forward to riding bikes with my niece and my
daughter. It will be beautiful to ride out there considering I ride in
Jersey. ;-)

Um, the weather in Tahoe hasn't been very conducive to riding
lately. The Sierra passes closed earlier this year than I can ever
remember. May I suggest some cross-country skiing instead? It's
another great aerobic activity.

I'm heading up that way in two weeks, also, but I'm leaving the bike
at home. I want to try XC skiing at Royal Gorge for at least one day.
Old November 10th 04, 08:50 PM
Beverly

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
"Beverly" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Maggie. As I mentioned in another post my family's medical history
(heart disease, diabetes, cancer) is terrible and I decided at an early age
I didn't want to end up like them.

Enjoy Lake Tahoe. The biking might be a little chilly this time of year but
you can always bundle up. I'm planning on doing some biking this weekend.
It's supposed to be sunny and in the low 40's. It will give me a chance to
try out some of my new cold weather gear.

Beverly

Old November 10th 04, 09:15 PM
Maggie

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
I'm sorry, but your thinking is very, very flawwed. You are giving

in to
this notion that you can't do this or that because of age. It's not true.
Sure, you shouldn't, after sitting on your butt for years, expect you get up
one day and compete in strong fashion in volleyball against 20 yos. It's
silly to even think that. But you can train yourself, re-gain/increase
fitness in that sport. Get your weight under control, start weight lifting,
and start playing volleyball on a regular basis (don't do marathon sessions
as you are getting back into it). You can increase your ability in that
sport enough to enjoy it. You may never be on an olympic team, but then
again you likely would not have been in your prime, either.

In what sport are you too old to particiate in at 35? Are you referring to
professionally, against others at any age? Have you ever heard of big
George Foreman?

As for the above question....Yes I was speaking of professionally.
Professional sports I know are quite different from recreational
sports. I also heard of George Foreman....he really has a great grill.
Love it.

Seriously, I still believe there are things I can not do at my age.
No matter how hard I train, how often I get off my ass and exercise or
how much weight I lift. You cannot compare a person in their fifties
with a person in their twenties. It's impossible in my opinion. Maybe
men want to do this, but I doubt if many women want to compare
themselves to 20 years olds. That's why God said....Go forth and bear
children while you are young and can deal with it. I am not whining
about my age when I talk about it, I am trying to accept it
graciously. I don't want to be like some of my friends having plastic
surgery because that's the only way they can fight nature. I am
surrounded by people in their twenties because my kids are in their
twenties. There is no way I could keep up with them. You may call this
a defeatist attitude, but I call it realistic. I see how easy it is
for them to bounce back from things. My husband is 57 and he has
exercised faithfully all his life and still lifts weights and
exercises every morning. He also agrees that he is no match for his
sons or any man who is 20 something and in shape. I don't think there
has been a day in his life since the age of 15 that he has not
exercised and lifted. Yet still he will admit he has slowed down quite
a bit. I think age is supposed to bring the wisdom to know we are not
20 any longer.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 09:20 PM
ItsikH

There could be age-related health problems which could prevent you from
doing some things. Still, a lot of the age issue is mental rather than
physical. I have experienced such an improvement in my health and
fitness in the past 5 years as I turned 40, I can't wait to see how far
more can I go...
Still, I believe older people should avoid injury-prone sports such as
downhill and free-ride, and take care of their joints (not the kind you
smoke ). The one thing older people can perform just as good or even
better than younger people is endurance. In my last long trip
(http://www.cyclingforums.com/t192544.html) I have been beaten by a
56yo grandpa... who happens to be a devoted athlete to this day.

--
ItsikH

Old November 10th 04, 09:22 PM
do not spam

In article ,
Cheto wrote:
Lake Tahoe is indeed a beautiful place, but pretty chilly at the end of Nov.

Definately ski season now. Note that portions of the road around the
lake will be closed by snow during the winter.
Old November 10th 04, 09:23 PM
Badger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:40:20 -0800, Terry Morse wrote:

Maggie wrote:

I am leaving for Lake Tahoe in
two weeks and look forward to riding bikes with my niece and my
daughter. It will be beautiful to ride out there considering I ride in
Jersey. ;-)

Um, the weather in Tahoe hasn't been very conducive to riding
lately. The Sierra passes closed earlier this year than I can ever
remember. May I suggest some cross-country skiing instead? It's
another great aerobic activity.

I'm heading up that way in two weeks, also, but I'm leaving the bike
at home. I want to try XC skiing at Royal Gorge for at least one day.

Think you'll be jonesin' in say, two days?

-B

Old November 10th 04, 09:43 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
:::: I'm sorry, but your thinking is very, very flawwed. You are giving
:: in to
::: this notion that you can't do this or that because of age. It's not
::: true. Sure, you shouldn't, after sitting on your butt for years,
::: expect you get up one day and compete in strong fashion in
::: volleyball against 20 yos. It's silly to even think that. But you
::: can train yourself, re-gain/increase fitness in that sport. Get
::: your weight under control, start weight lifting, and start playing
::: volleyball on a regular basis (don't do marathon sessions as you
::: are getting back into it). You can increase your ability in that
::: sport enough to enjoy it. You may never be on an olympic team, but
::: then again you likely would not have been in your prime, either.
:::
::: In what sport are you too old to particiate in at 35? Are you
::: referring to professionally, against others at any age? Have you
::: ever heard of big George Foreman?
::
:: As for the above question....Yes I was speaking of professionally.
:: Professional sports I know are quite different from recreational
:: sports. I also heard of George Foreman....he really has a great
:: grill.
:: Love it.
::
:: Seriously, I still believe there are things I can not do at my age.

What things? Out run a 20 year old in a sprint. Perhaps not. But barring
physical limitations, you can run a sprint. And a marathon. You may not
win, but you can do it, if factors other than mere age don't limit you.

:: No matter how hard I train, how often I get off my ass and exercise
:: or
:: how much weight I lift. You cannot compare a person in their fifties
:: with a person in their twenties. It's impossible in my opinion.

Sure you can compare them. In many cases the 20 yo will outdo the 50 yo.
But not in all cases and activities, and not for all 50 yo. And no one says
you have to compete or play with 20 yo. Find someone your age.

:: Maybe
:: men want to do this, but I doubt if many women want to compare
:: themselves to 20 years olds. That's why God said....Go forth and bear
:: children while you are young and can deal with it.

Did God say that?

I am not whining
:: about my age when I talk about it, I am trying to accept it
:: graciously. I don't want to be like some of my friends having plastic
:: surgery because that's the only way they can fight nature. I am
:: surrounded by people in their twenties because my kids are in their
:: twenties. There is no way I could keep up with them.

You dont' have to keep up with them. But you also don't have to give up,
either. You can regain a lot of what you were able to do when you were in
your twenties, if you really want to and if there are no other factors which
prevent it.

You may call
:: this
:: a defeatist attitude, but I call it realistic. I see how easy it is
:: for them to bounce back from things. My husband is 57 and he has
:: exercised faithfully all his life and still lifts weights and
:: exercises every morning. He also agrees that he is no match for his
:: sons or any man who is 20 something and in shape. I don't think there
:: has been a day in his life since the age of 15 that he has not
:: exercised and lifted. Yet still he will admit he has slowed down
:: quite
:: a bit.

I have an uncle who is 70 now. I'm 46. I'm not sure I'd want to take him on
in anything other than riding a bike for 80+ miles. I'm pretty sure he
can't do that right now. Also, he'd whup up on most 20 yo I see today. If
you're talking about a professioinal boxer or other type of athelete, then
maybe not. But your average 20 yo wouldn't stand a chance.

:: I think age is supposed to bring the wisdom to know we are not
:: 20 any longer.

Sure. But it also doesn't mean just automatically assuming you can't do
anything, either, and it certainly doesn't mean you should just give up.
Wisdom would say knowing your limitations and not exceeding them. It also
would say you should start out slowly and build up and also allow plenty of
time for recovery, because you're older.

:: http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

Old November 10th 04, 09:52 PM
Pat

:
: We seem to suffer from similar problems. I've had sciatica problems for
: several years. In fact, I'm currently recovering from a bout of it caused
: by trying to grab my bike when the wind blew it over. Next time I'll let
: the d*mn thing fallg :
: Beverly

well, not if it were falling on the derailleur side, surely!

:O

Pat in TX
:
: