gliding

Old February 17th 05, 12:46 AM
wowunicycle

Default gliding

I learned 1ft ww then tried pull and glide and now i can do that. How
do you get into gliding and glide in a gym without going down a hill to
glide?

--
wowunicycle - mark
wowunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9126

Old February 17th 05, 01:03 AM
wogri

You either pedal fast and do the transition directly to gliding
(difficult). Or you do 1ft WW and 'push' hard, so that you faster and
faster until you switch to gliding. Furthermore the ideal glide is not
to touch the wheel at all (no slowdown).

wogri

--
wogri - Austrian American

http://www.wogri.at
http://unicycling.wogri.at
wogri's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7490

Old February 17th 05, 01:05 AM
James_Potter

wogri wrote:
*the ideal glide is not to touch the wheel at all (no slowdown).
*

this is coasting, though, and a little harder than gliding. what I do
sometimes is start out by wheelwaking like wogri said, then push hard to
get into gliding, then you can take your foot off the tire to keep going
but if you lose balance you can apply a little bit of pressure to the
tire again to keep your balance.
of course, I'm really not very good at gliding on flat ground. But for
the short distances I -can- do, this works well for me.

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old February 17th 05, 01:08 AM
johnfoss

I learned it by riding one foot and then putting the pedaling foot up
onto the tire. The same move works for coasting.

Yes, if you never touch the tire it's coasting, which is an order of
magnitude harder to do for any consistent distance.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old February 17th 05, 01:09 AM
jsm

I suggest you practice going into it from one-footed riding a little bit
if that is practicle, and then learn to go into it right from pedalling
fast. It may take a while, but it's so much easier once you get used to
it. Check 'the Unicyclopedia's freestyle page'
(http://tinyurl.com/4y69y) for more advice on this.

Furthermore the ideal glide is not to touch the wheel at all (no
slowdown).

No, that would be coasting. The ideal glide is where you just barely
touch touch the wheel. Learning to coast is a great idea, though.

--
jsm - Dark and stormy stand-up wheel walk

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old February 17th 05, 03:32 AM
wogri

well, I guess not touching the tyre at all is called coasting, then

I always thought the difference would also be in the positions of the
feet (gliding: 1-ft ww position, coasting: both feet on frame); But -
actually - I don't care.

wogri, never coasted further than a couple of centimetres...

Old February 17th 05, 03:40 AM
Gilby

wowunicycle wrote:
*I learned 1ft ww then tried pull and glide and now i can do that.
How do you get into gliding and glide in a gym without going down a
hill to glide? *

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Since you can do it pull gliding, you could work on that and try to get
a little lighter on the tire as far as how much pressure you are putting
on the tire. Get used to that felling of not braking as much. You can
also try to do one foot wheel walking to get your foot to be lighter on
the tire and glidie more between the pushes.

Then, to glide on your own, just start riding fast and lift your feet up
to the gliding position to try gliding.

--
Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Old February 17th 05, 05:25 AM
jsm

gliding: 1-ft ww position, coasting: both feet on frame

That brings up another point; there are two ways to glide. You can do it
with your foot just sitting on the tire, or you can put it overlapping
the tire and the frame. The latter is harder, but probably better in the
long run, since it can help prepare you for coasting, and is presumably
better for getting into stand-up glide. Generally, when I glide
flatland, I try to do it overlapping, whereas downhill I only touch the
tire.

Old February 17th 05, 04:10 PM
wowunicycle

Thanks I will try
Mark

--
wowunicycle - mark
wowunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9126

Getting used to gliding klaym Unicycling 12 August 27th 04 11:59 PM
1 foot ww ---> gliding...how do you keep your speed up? tennisgh22 Unicycling 24 August 24th 04 12:53 AM
Gliding James_Potter Unicycling 23 April 27th 04 11:36 PM
gliding trainer thinuniking Unicycling 3 November 30th 03 11:16 PM
Gliding and backflips... joona Unicycling 41 November 11th 03 08:18 PM