RAAM rider killed

Old June 23rd 05, 11:50 PM
gds

Default RAAM rider killed

see:http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/

Old June 24th 05, 12:45 AM
Neil Brooks

"gds" wrote:

see:http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/

Here it is. Yikes.

With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob
Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup truck at
approximately 12.15 p.m. EDT, on June 23, 28 miles west of Trinidad,
Colorado. When paramedics arrived on the scene they pronounced him
dead. The accident took place on a section of road that sloped very
gently downhill for cyclists in the race. According to the driver of
the pickup truck, Bob Breedlove appeared to collapse on his bicycle
and swerved into the path of the oncoming vehicle.

Cyclists competing in the Race Across America are offered the option
of completing the race, should they so desire.

Race Director Jim Pitre said: "Speaking both personally, and on behalf
of the entire management and all those associated with the race, I
extend my most sincere sympathy to the family of Bob Breedlove."

At the time of the accident, Bob Breedlove was leading the 50+
category, and was 12th overall in the race.

Old June 24th 05, 12:54 AM

At least he went out on a bike.

Old June 24th 05, 03:08 AM
Mike Kruger

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message

With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob
Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup

truck at

At the time of the accident, Bob Breedlove was leading the

50+
category, and was 12th overall in the race.

In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death.
On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years
ago, the number of competitors is small, and the pressures may
be increasing.

IIRC, Breedlove was defending his "over 50" record. When he
set the record, he made a few additional stops at fire
stations as part of a "post 9/11" event. It's possible that
the race is becoming more "serious" now and people may be
taking even more chances. The brief news story indicates "It
seemed like he must have passed out, he slumped on his bars.
He just swerved right into our lane." It's also possible I'm
just overreacting.

Old June 24th 05, 06:02 PM
Art Harris

Mike Kruger wrote:

In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death. On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years ago.

Wasn't there a Canadian rider (without a support team) badly injured
10+ years ago?

It's possible that the race is becoming more "serious" now and people may be taking even more chances.

Maybe just the sleep deprivation. It's probably not a great idea to
ride day after day on 2-3 hours sleep.

It's also interesting that this incident sounds eerily similar to the
other recent fatality caused by a rider crossing over the centerline
(apparently) unintentionally.

Art Harris

Old June 24th 05, 07:26 PM
Zoot Katz

24 Jun 2005 10:02:35 -0700,
.com,
"Art Harris" wrote:

Maybe just the sleep deprivation. It's probably not a great idea to
ride day after day on 2-3 hours sleep.

That was my thought too. Those micro-sleeps happen quite regularly
when running a sleep deficit. Didn't the old-time 6-day racers hve
problems with hallucinating after a few days so that now 6-day races
are less demanding?

It's also interesting that this incident sounds eerily similar to the
other recent fatality caused by a rider crossing over the centerline
(apparently) unintentionally.

Heat stroke was mentioned as another possibilty.
--
zk
Old June 24th 05, 09:24 PM
Chris Neary

In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death.
On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years
ago, the number of competitors is small, and the pressures may
be increasing.

IIRC, it the third. A solo competitor, riding without support, was killed
many years ago.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old June 25th 05, 01:42 AM
psycholist

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
24 Jun 2005 10:02:35 -0700,
.com,
"Art Harris" wrote:

Maybe just the sleep deprivation. It's probably not a great idea to
ride day after day on 2-3 hours sleep.

That was my thought too. Those micro-sleeps happen quite regularly
when running a sleep deficit. Didn't the old-time 6-day racers hve
problems with hallucinating after a few days so that now 6-day races
are less demanding?

It's also interesting that this incident sounds eerily similar to the
other recent fatality caused by a rider crossing over the centerline
(apparently) unintentionally.

Heat stroke was mentioned as another possibilty.
--
zk

Nothing about RAAM is a good idea.

A poster over in rec.bicycles.racing made an interesting analysis that
concluded the death rate for RAAM participants, if extrapolated to Tour de
France participants, would work out to 3 rider deaths in the TdF per year.
Do you think that would be allowed to continue for long?

As I said over in rec.bicyles.racing, it's a mass suicide attempt. Dr.
Breedlove was successful. It's a shame and I'm sad for him and his family
.... but I honestly feel worse when I think about the poor guy who had a
passed out cyclist crash through his windshield.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old June 30th 05, 12:33 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Art Harris asked:

Wasn't there a Canadian rider (without a support team)
badly injured 10+ years ago?

Yes, I recall it happened at night in New Mexico, but I don't remember
any other details.

Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM
gds

psycholist wrote:
Nothing about RAAM is a good idea.

A poster over in rec.bicycles.racing made an interesting analysis that
concluded the death rate for RAAM participants, if extrapolated to Tour de
France participants, would work out to 3 rider deaths in the TdF per year.
Do you think that would be allowed to continue for long?

As I said over in rec.bicyles.racing, it's a mass suicide attempt. Dr.
Breedlove was successful. It's a shame and I'm sad for him and his family
... but I honestly feel worse when I think about the poor guy who had a
passed out cyclist crash through his windshield.

I tend to agree with you main points- although I'm probably enough of a
libertarian to say that if these folks want to go out and do this that
is OK.

Anyone who has ever been in the military has learned that sleep
deprivation is one of the main risks in combat and thus one of the main
ingredients in training. The data there is very clear that no matter
how high the level of fitness that sleep deprived folks quickly lose
large amounts of both physical and mental abilities. And to me that is
the key variable that makes RAAM more of freak show than an atthletic
event. The winner needs to maximize on dealing with massive sleep
deprivation rather than pure bicycle fitness or speed. I'm not arguing
that these folks are not fit but rather that cycling fitness as
"normally" defined is secondary to dealing with the lack of sleep.

The death rate and medical drop out rate is probably higher than
boxing. That is not what cycling is about.