How important is weight?

Old February 20th 08, 08:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bob Landry

Default How important is weight?

For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
speed. Here's a link for the curious:
http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).

FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
change, only be ignored.

Bob
Just another nice basic flake.
(and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th
Old February 20th 08, 08:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.smokers.pipes
Edward Dolan

"Bob Landry" wrote in message
news
For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
speed. Here's a link for the curious:
http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).

Don't worry about the weight of the trike. You need to worry about your body
weight. Most 3-speed trikes are geared way too high. You can get lower gears
by replacing the chainwheel with a smaller one.

FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
change, only be ignored.

It is impossible to ignore Ed Dolan the Great because he says such
interesting things and has such interesting opinions. It is not for you to
say how others should interact with the Great One. Just be thankful that I
am not vindictive and petty or I would take to calling you names like you do
me. I must say, you are getting off to a very poor start here on ARBR.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old February 21st 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Harry Brogan" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry
wrote:

[...]
FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
change, only be ignored.

[...]

I have also plonked the Dolan rantings long ago. I only see them when
they are quoted by others.

Harry Brogan of Lincoln, Nebraska is a naïf simpleton. He seems to delight
in telling everyone how he has been able to kill file the Great Ed Dolan. I
consider this a compliment as I would not want the exasperation of ever
having to discuss anything with him. He is too lowly for one so high as
Myself!

Old February 21st 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
dlhii

Bob Landry wrote:

[...]

Well for starters, I'm 6'2", about 270 lbs. (mostly comprised of legs
and shoulders). I am slowly building a delta that should come in the
45-50 lb range.

I decided early that a gear range would be needed for general riding.
A quick look at the site has some already set up. I did a look saw the
Edge weighed in at 31 lbs.

If I were to purchase one I would go for a multispeed. Converting a
3-speed to a multispeed could bring up problems, though on Sheldon's
site there is a section about people going from multispeed to 3-speed.

Totally agree with your above FWIW above.

Don
Old February 21st 08, 12:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"dlhii" wrote in message
Bob Landry wrote:

[...]

Bob and Don - both a couple of monster fatties (tweedledum and tweedledee)
wondering about trikes. The only gear they need concern themselves with is a
super low gear because they are going to be as slow as molasses. Hells
Bells, even little old ladies will pass them with ease and little kids will
laugh at them because they will never have seen such a comical sight in
their lives.

Old February 21st 08, 01:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bob Landry wrote:
For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

The good news is that the WizWheelz TerraTrike Path appears to use the
regular WizWheelz frame and seat, so it will be worth upgrading. The
same is not true of some of the low end trikes aimed at the tourist
resort rental market.

BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
speed. Here's a link for the curious:
http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

39 pounds is not bad for a steel frame tadpole trike, when you consider
a high-end Trice ($5K+) with lightweight parts will still be almost 30
pounds. To put the weight in another perspective, most recumbent
bicycles are over 30 pounds before adding accessories.

I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).[...]

Since WizWheelz includes a chain tensioner and front derailer mast, a
triple crank could be used. Other options would be 5, 7, 8 or 9-speed
internally geared hubs from SRAM, Shimano and Sturmey Archer, the SRAM
3x8 and 3x9 DualDrive hubs which combine a 3-speed hub with external
cassette and derailer, or if you wish to double the price, the 14-speed
Rohloff hub.

You will need to upgrade the pedal to something with foot retention
(Power Grips, "clipless" pedals and shoes, or clips and straps if you
plan to do more than tool around the neighborhood, since it takes
conscious effort to hold one's feet to the pedals. One does NOT want to
have one's foot come off and catch on the ground while riding at speed,
as this can result in leg injury.

Old February 21st 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Feb 20, 12:01*pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
[...]

Bob,

The trike is a good value at 1k. It appears to me that this trike can
be upgraded to use conventional derailluers or a Nexus 8 spd hub. The
weight shouldn't be an issue. More importantly, is where the wieght
resides. If some of the bulk is in the wheels, perhaps lighter
tires. Anyway, 1k is a deal.

Happy rides,

Rickey
Old February 21st 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Feb 20, 6:39 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"dlhii" wrote in message

Bob Landry wrote:

[...]

Tis better to be fat of body than fat of head ... the latter being an
untreatable condition with which you are hopelessly afflicted.

Old February 21st 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"dlhii" wrote in message

Bob Landry wrote:

[...]

They both bothered to name call unsolicited, so I HAD to return the favor of
course. Always a gentleman, yea, that is Ed Dolan the Great!

Old February 22nd 08, 04:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
me

[...]

How hilly is your riding area?
If hilly, how fast do you want to go?
To quote another response to a similar question, when you come to a hill,
do you want to ride up it or walk it?
You can get anywhere on a 3 speed, but if you want to climb hills, top
speed is gonna suck.
For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
transmission.