Campy Front Derailleur with Shimano STI shifter?

Old February 10th 05, 10:37 AM

Default Campy Front Derailleur with Shimano STI shifter?

Will a Campy front derailleur work with a Shimano STI Shifter? The reason
that I am asking is, that I want to use 10 speed Shimano STI drivetrain with
a compact road crankset (110 bolt circle with 50/34 chainrings). Campy seems
to be the only one making a compact specific front derailleur. I main
concern is will the trim function of Shimano shifter work well with a Campy
front?

Thanks in advance.

Old February 10th 05, 03:10 PM
Paul Kopit

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:37:07 -0800, wrote:

Will a Campy front derailleur work with a Shimano STI Shifter? The reason
that I am asking is, that I want to use 10 speed Shimano STI drivetrain with
a compact road crankset (110 bolt circle with 50/34 chainrings). Campy seems
to be the only one making a compact specific front derailleur. I main
concern is will the trim function of Shimano shifter work well with a Campy
front?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need the compact specific front derailleur. Any Campy front
derailleur shifts a 50/34 fine. Shimano front derailleurs like 105 or
DA do fine as well. I'm not certain that the Campy front deralleur
will index properly with STI.
Old February 10th 05, 05:22 PM
Sheldon Brown

Paul Kopit quoted somebody:

Will a Campy front derailleur work with a Shimano STI Shifter? The reason
that I am asking is, that I want to use 10 speed Shimano STI drivetrain with
a compact road crankset (110 bolt circle with 50/34 chainrings). Campy seems
to be the only one making a compact specific front derailleur. I main
concern is will the trim function of Shimano shifter work well with a Campy
front?

and replied:

You don't need the compact specific front derailleur. Any Campy front
derailleur shifts a 50/34 fine. Shimano front derailleurs like 105 or
DA do fine as well. I'm not certain that the Campy front deralleur
will index properly with STI.

The front indexing issue is a problem with _triple_ cranks, because the
middle position is regulated by the indexing.

With a double, compact or full-sized, it isn't an issue, since the
"indexing" is regulated by the derailer's limit stop screws irrespective
of any indexing features of the shifter.

Sheldon "Gopher It!" Brown
| Always listen to the experts. |
| They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. |
| Then do it. --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 10th 05, 06:24 PM
Nick Payne

My wife's touring bike uses Ultegra STI levers with a triple chainset using
44-34-24 chainrings. When the Shimano front derailleur got bent by baggage
handlers I put on a Record triple FD (because I happened to have one lying
around) and everything continued to work fine. With only two chainrings it
should be even easier. I have another bike that uses 48-34 chainrings, also
with Ultegra STI levers, and the derailleur on that is an old Suntour
XC-4050 that I fished out of my bits box.

But anyway, "compact specific" front derailleur is a solution to a problem
that doesn't exist. It's just marketing designed to separate credulous
cyclists from their money.

Nick

Old February 13th 05, 07:26 AM

cel,

The trim function of your Shimano will work fine with the Campy front
derailleur. The compact specific front deraillure is not a marketing
gimmick. If you have a braze on, a standard front derailleur cage will
not be able to get low enough to allow the recommended 1-2 mm clearance
above the large chainring. Shifting works but not as well, with more
chain drops. I have a FSA compact 50-34. I recently replaced my
standard DurAce 9 speed front derailleur with a Campy Chorus compact
specific 10 speed front derailleur with remarkable improvement in
shifting.

Ed

Old February 13th 05, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the personal experience with this type of setup. I will get the
compact crank and derailleur with confidence that it will work. I did notice
that with the standard 53 ring, the standard derailleur didn't have much
more drop on the front "braze on" to reach a 50. It makes sense to have a
lower reach on the compact version.

cel

oups.com...