Tesco's - I despair!

Old October 22nd 05, 01:19 PM
Rich

Default Tesco's - I despair!

Just come back from my local Tesco, where I have been shopping for the past
15 years, never had a problem. There are bike racks, but they are out in
the rain and not in the best place for observation, where I lock mine up is
covered and visible from inside the store. It doesn't obstruct anything
either.

I parked the bike and was immediately approached by a security guard, who
rushed out of the store - he'd obviously been keeping watch. Guard "you
can't park your bike there"
Me "Why not? I've been parking it here for 15 years"
Guard "the manager doesn't like it"
Me "fine, if the manager would like to talk about it, I'll be happy to talk
to him."

As I walked in, I was accosted by the manager, who repeated that I couldn't
park there, and that they would serve me this time, but if I parked it there
again, they would refuse to serve me! I pointed out why I parked it there,
and the response was that "we provide cycle parking, and you will use it."

I did my shopping and left, but I'm not quite sure whether to provoke a
confrontation by locking it there again. I have been in touch with the
local paper who seemed interested, especially when I pointed out that
Tesco's seem to have the time to hassle cyclists, but not to police the
disabled parking or the pick up parking.

Anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

Old October 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
MatSav

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:19:32 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

[...]

Yes. I tried to wheel my bike into a store - all I wanted was a pint
of milk, and didn't want to lock the bike (because it's quite time
consuming). I tried to point out that the bike is actually smaller
than one of their trolleys, and certainly smaller than a disabled
buggy or wheelchair - but they were having none of it. I got my pint
of milk elsewhere.

I wonder what they would have done if I had been on the "dark side"
with a recumbent trike, and claimed it was a wheelchair? :-)

--
MatSav

--
MatSav

Old October 22nd 05, 02:10 PM
Pinky

Yes I have had similar experience -- but in a way you are better off than am
I - there aren't even any cycle racks at all.in any of the 4 Tesco stores in
my "parish"

But I am totally with you. Bikes need to be provided with racks which are
well positioned, in a good visible area and the racks themselves must be
secure and sheltered.

Please get on the Tesco website and copy the post you have made here
directly to Tesco. Perhaps others who visit here might take up the cudgels
with Tesco as well and follow our example!

I used to spend about £20 each week in Tesco but after being told "you can't
leave that here" I now visit about once every 2 months, in my car, to be
able to carry the packs of loo rolls/kitchen towels/washing powder and so
on.

I have pointed out to Tesco that my expenditure with them has dropped
drastically from more than £1000 to less than £150/year now.

--
Trevor A Panther England, United Kingdom.
Remove PSANTISPAM to reply
news

Old October 22nd 05, 02:13 PM
Not Responding

Rich wrote:
[...]

Faced with no parking outside a Tesco Metro/Express/Whatever and an
automatic door sliding gracefully open on my approach, I couldn't resist
simply riding in. Hopped off once inside and pushed bike around. No one
said anything.
Old October 22nd 05, 02:24 PM

Rich wrote:

Anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

No problems at my local Tesco. There is no cycle racks but solid steel
fences within the covered area outside the main door do the job. An
area which is next to the front door and always busy. I've not heard of
any cyclists having problems with either shop staff or theft.
Your local manager must have some kind of personal problem with
cyclists. Try writing to his boss to point out this needless alienaton
of customers.
Iain

Old October 22nd 05, 02:50 PM
David Hansen

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:19:32 GMT someone who may be "Rich"
wrote this:-

As I walked in, I was accosted by the manager, who repeated that I couldn't
park there, and that they would serve me this time, but if I parked it there
again, they would refuse to serve me! I pointed out why I parked it there,
and the response was that "we provide cycle parking, and you will use it."

I did my shopping

Why? Having been made unwelcome surely you should have left and
taken your business elsewhere.

At the little Co-op supermarket I sometimes use cyclists bring their
bikes inside the shop and leave them by the door in a suitable
place. I have never seen them have a problem with anyone, even
though the youngsters sometimes lay their bikes down instead of
leaning them against the wall.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 22nd 05, 03:59 PM
Sam Salt

wrote this:-

[...]

Simple,shop elsewhere.

Supermarkets are the devils work anyway.

Sam Salt

Old October 22nd 05, 04:34 PM
John B

Rich wrote:

I parked the bike and was immediately approached by a security guard, who
rushed out of the store

Anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

Only in the occupied West Bank not long after the Six Day war.
My bike was surrounded by armed guards when I parked outside a shop.

Perhaps Tescos are following a similar policy.

John B
Old October 22nd 05, 05:11 PM
Keith Willoughby

"Rich" writes:

Anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

Tesco here has two Sheffield racks, in view of the checkouts, and under
cover, so they can do it if they try.

I was told I couldn't take my bike into the local Post Office (there's
nowhere close to lock it up) so I now take my business to another PO
that had no problems with me just propping it up inside.

Fair and Balanced -
http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm
Old October 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
Simon Mason

"Rich" wrote in message
news
Just come back from my local Tesco, where I have been shopping for the
past 15 years, never had a problem. There are bike racks, but they are
out in the rain and not in the best place for observation, where I lock
mine up is covered and visible from inside the store. It doesn't obstruct
anything either.

The only Tescos I cycle to are part of petrol stations (Express) where you
can rest the bike outside and keep an eye on it from anywhere in the store
due to the huge glass front of the shop.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

I despair Zog The Undeniable UK 9 December 17th 04 12:07 PM
Budget cycling - serious cyclists may despair on reading this Tim Steele UK 20 April 1st 04 11:42 AM