Who is stronger

Old July 20th 04, 11:03 AM
Bill benson

Default Who is stronger

I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

Old July 20th 04, 11:21 AM
NickZX6R

Bill benson wrote:

I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

TdF rider of course

Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

--
Nick
Old July 20th 04, 11:23 AM
flyingdutch

Bill benson Wrote:
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
(altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
(after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?

I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

--
flyingdutch

Old July 20th 04, 11:50 AM
hippy

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
Bill benson wrote:
Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

TdF rider of course

Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

Well, yeah, all of them actually...

if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..

hippy

Old July 20th 04, 11:59 AM
hippy

"flyingdutch"
I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
(altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

Yeah.. those scrawny-ass runners would be dead meat
up against an equine growth hormone-injecting, saddle
sore-pained, 100kph-descending, broken-collarboned
suffering, cobblestone riding, 6+ hours a day hard pedaling
psychos that are TdF riders...

Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
(after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?
I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

Mine too. I mean, old, fat people can run a marathon (albeit
slowly) whereas an old, fat person would probably not
even finish a single mountain stage of the tour..

unbiased (haha) hippy

Old July 20th 04, 12:08 PM
GDS

cut
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider
/cut

TDF rider without doubt!!!

G.

Old July 20th 04, 03:51 PM
Fraser Johnston

"Bill benson" wrote in message
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

Both have crazy endurance but aren't particularly strong. If you want
strong go find a powerlifter. Both have specific muscle groups that they
use for thier particular sport. Depends on what kind of strong you are
talking about. Strong legs? Strong arms? Strong heart and lungs? FWIW I
heard Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate of 32 BPM. Thats crazy.

Fraser

Old July 21st 04, 12:27 AM
jazmo

In terms of cardiovascular fitness, cyclist rank second behind cross
country skiers. I think the TDF riders would have to have a more
developed cardiovascular system than marathon runners simply because
they spend more time at an elevated heart rate.

--
jazmo

Old July 21st 04, 12:48 AM
Tamyka Bell

flyingdutch wrote:

Bill benson Wrote:
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
(altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

snip

I went into marathon after a few years of boxing and judo. I was a
tank. I was probably the strongest marathoner in BrisVegas! Now that I
cycle lots I'm puny. I headed back to the gym this week, I can only leg
press 200 now, and bench 45. Ugh, weak.

As one of the more objective people in this group on this topic (being
that I like running and cycling, not just cycling...) ummm, I think I'd
say that the TDF rider would have more strength however the runners
would probably have a higher bone density. And if you got a marathon
runner to ride a long way they'd get a sore bum which'd heal up soon
enough, whereas a TDF rider doing a marathon would probably get ITB
frictions syndrome and shin splints in a single session - the damage
done during high intensity long duration cycling is less than that done
by high-intensity long duration running - unless you crash.

Old July 21st 04, 12:54 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
Bill benson wrote:
Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

TdF rider of course

Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

Well, yeah, all of them actually...

if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..

hippy

From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.

The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

end

One of the guys was ****ing blood by the end. They would have done 7
continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
recovery.

Tam

(Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)