Safety Case / Audit

Old January 10th 05, 09:51 PM
Al C-F

Default Safety Case / Audit

OK, tonight I am feeling a bit playful.

It appears that a cycle farcility - possibly the most ill conceived
and implemented cycle lane I have seen for yonks - is minus a Safety
Audit.

So, here we have a farcility created primarily to enhance safety (in
some views) where there is no documentation to show that safety has
even been considered.

Now, to those who know, is there any statutory requirement for a
safety audit, or does it just leave the authority vulnerable if they
ever have to respond to a legal claim?

Cites & references where possible please.

--
Aloysius.
Old January 10th 05, 11:19 PM
Tony W

"Al C-F" m wrote in
message ...
OK, tonight I am feeling a bit playful.

It appears that a cycle farcility - possibly the most ill conceived
and implemented cycle lane I have seen for yonks - is minus a Safety
Audit.

So, here we have a farcility created primarily to enhance safety (in
some views) where there is no documentation to show that safety has
even been considered.

Now, to those who know, is there any statutory requirement for a
safety audit, or does it just leave the authority vulnerable if they
ever have to respond to a legal claim?

Cites & references where possible please.

Just go along to the next Transport Scrutiny meeting, say you wish to
address the meeting and ask what the council's policy on safety audits is --
then, as a supplementary ask about this case -- sit back & watch the
confusion :~)

Old January 11th 05, 08:30 AM
Tony Raven

Al C-F wrote:
OK, tonight I am feeling a bit playful.

It appears that a cycle farcility - possibly the most ill conceived
and implemented cycle lane I have seen for yonks - is minus a Safety
Audit.

So, here we have a farcility created primarily to enhance safety (in
some views) where there is no documentation to show that safety has
even been considered.

Now, to those who know, is there any statutory requirement for a
safety audit, or does it just leave the authority vulnerable if they
ever have to respond to a legal claim?

Cites & references where possible please.

--
Aloysius.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_504721.hcsp
You also need the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (not sure its
available on line) which has the general road safety audit requirements

Tony
Old January 11th 05, 05:27 PM
Al C-F

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:30:21 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_504721.hcsp
You also need the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (not sure its
available on line) which has the general road safety audit requirements

Tony

Interesting read. Thank you.
Old January 11th 05, 06:04 PM
Not Responding

Al C-F wrote:
OK, tonight I am feeling a bit playful.

It appears that a cycle farcility - possibly the most ill conceived
and implemented cycle lane I have seen for yonks - is minus a Safety
Audit.

So, here we have a farcility created primarily to enhance safety (in
some views) where there is no documentation to show that safety has
even been considered.

Now, to those who know, is there any statutory requirement for a
safety audit, or does it just leave the authority vulnerable if they
ever have to respond to a legal claim?

Cites & references where possible please.

--
Aloysius.

I'll consult the experts tomorrow.

Where is this ghastliness?
Old January 11th 05, 06:31 PM
Nathaniel Porter

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
snip

You also need the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (not sure its
available on line) which has the general road safety audit requirements

This can be found at
http://www.official-documents.co.uk/...dmrb/index.htm

Old January 12th 05, 12:55 PM
Al C-F

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:04:14 +0000, Not Responding
wrote:

Al C-F wrote:
OK, tonight I am feeling a bit playful.

It appears that a cycle farcility - possibly the most ill conceived
and implemented cycle lane I have seen for yonks - is minus a Safety
Audit.

So, here we have a farcility created primarily to enhance safety (in
some views) where there is no documentation to show that safety has
even been considered.

Now, to those who know, is there any statutory requirement for a
safety audit, or does it just leave the authority vulnerable if they
ever have to respond to a legal claim?

Cites & references where possible please.

--
Aloysius.

I'll consult the experts tomorrow.

Where is this ghastliness?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...app=newmap.srf

Grange Road, Hedge End, S030.

A poorly installed item that EBC want repairing but HCC's
subcontractor has gone bust. I query the need for the lane at all.

Cheers,
Old January 12th 05, 06:34 PM
Tony Raven

Al C-F wrote:

Grange Road, Hedge End, S030.

A poorly installed item that EBC want repairing but HCC's
subcontractor has gone bust. I query the need for the lane at all.

Where are you contacting because I was planning to write and ask the
same questions about Maunsell Way just round the corner where about 20
sequential road narrowings have been introduced and the pavement marked
up for cycling.

Tony
Old January 13th 05, 07:08 PM
Al C-F

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:34:24 +0000, Tony Raven
wrote:

Al C-F wrote:

Grange Road, Hedge End, S030.

A poorly installed item that EBC want repairing but HCC's
subcontractor has gone bust. I query the need for the lane at all.

Where are you contacting because I was planning to write and ask the
same questions about Maunsell Way just round the corner where about 20
sequential road narrowings have been introduced and the pavement marked
up for cycling.

I didn't realise that you were around here.

I started by responding to an article in Standpoint (free sheet from
the LDs) by e-mailing every one of the local concillors listed. Only
Louise Bloom responded, but apparently Keith House is also interested
because the lane crosses his patch too.

I'd be interested in the response about Maunsell Way because I live
just off it. I have been ignoring the markings on the pavements for
as long as they have been there. In addition to the usual problems
with shared lanes, the council's inability to prune the bushes makes
them impassable.

I quite like the build-outs, they give a certain amount of legitimacy
to taking up the whole lane, especially if you move out early and move
back late. The build-outs and the mini roundabouts at Drummond Road
and Stroudley Way (for the station) make turning right much easier.

Old January 13th 05, 08:30 PM
Not Responding

Tony Raven wrote:
Al C-F wrote:

Grange Road, Hedge End, S030.

A poorly installed item that EBC want repairing but HCC's
subcontractor has gone bust. I query the need for the lane at all.

Where are you contacting because I was planning to write and ask the
same questions about Maunsell Way just round the corner where about 20
sequential road narrowings have been introduced and the pavement marked
up for cycling.

Tony

The Hampshire County Council "cycling officer" is Peter Savage.

Please do not hold back from giving feedback to both him and your
councillors (district and county). IME, Peter is a great exponent of the
miricle of the Blue Sign on the Pavement and counters any challenges to
this doctrine with "but it's where cyclists tell us they want to be".