Stelvio and Velocity Razor rims, a bad mix?

Old August 15th 03, 01:09 AM
Jim C

Default Stelvio and Velocity Razor rims, a bad mix?

Having had lots of experience changing tires and tubes over the years I just
had my first experience changing both the tire and tube using a 26" Stelvio,
Velocity Razor rim and a 1" tube.

After approx 2 hours, I hope no one was offended by my language out there. I
had nearly given up hope but persisted and on the second tube got it all
together.

Anyone know what makes this a fatal combination to change? I ruined the
first tube as I had to use the tire tools to force the tire over the rim and
apparently damaged the tube in the process.

Prior to this the most fun had been with a Vittoria Corsa 700C but it
couldn't hold a candle to this.

I tried talc, alcohol (on the tube not in me, although that would have been
a better idea) and abusive language and none of it helped. I may also
permanently lose the use of my thumbs which could work to my disadvantage.

My belief is the primary problem is the Razor isn't very deep. So are there
any secrets to changing that I haven't tried here. I understand that someone
like Crank Bros makes something called the speed stick. While that may help
get the tire off will it help getting it on?

At least I won't need to carry tubes when I ride, which will lighten my
load, just a cell phone and cash for the taxi.

Jim C

--
Jim C

Old August 15th 03, 04:29 AM
John Foltz

Jim C wrote:

My belief is the primary problem is the Razor isn't very deep. So
are there any secrets to changing that I haven't tried here. I
understand that someone like Crank Bros makes something called
the speed stick. While that may help get the tire off will it
help getting it on?

I've used Speed Sticks and their unbranded equivalents. Generally,
they work pretty well. The advantage is that they're round, which
makes it harder to pinch a tube. OTOH, the disadvantage is that
they're round, so really tight tires require even more muscle. You
only need one of them, though.

Car mechanics' trick, use soapy water (more soap than water) on the
bead. The bead will slip over the rim easier. Don't do this if
you're trying to work the tire onto the rim by hand! Also, inflate
the tube by mouth before putting it inside the tire. That will help
keep it out from under the bead.

--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Old August 15th 03, 06:03 AM
mike s

"Jim C" wrote in message ...
Having had lots of experience changing tires and tubes over the years I just
had my first experience changing both the tire and tube using a 26" Stelvio,
Velocity Razor rim and a 1" tube.

After approx 2 hours, I hope no one was offended by my language out there. I
had nearly given up hope but persisted and on the second tube got it all
together.

Jim: It has to be the rim. I flatted (sidewall cut) on my rear
Stelvio (559) on my Virginia. Got the tire off right away, tube in,
and reassembled in no time. But I share your pain. We used to run
Vredestein S-Licks on our tandem (406). Got a rear flat. Two broken
tire levers later, after conjugating every swear word I knew, after
again offering my life in the hereafter for divine intervention in the
here and now, the tire was still on the rim. That was one of the
reasons we switched to Comp Pools for the tandem. A stubborn tire is
not one of cycling's poster moments.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.
Old August 15th 03, 04:57 PM
Don

Jim, Yes a Crank Bros Speed Arm will help you get a tire back
on---although you may need a tire lever to get the last couple of
inches on (depends on the rim/tire). The Speed Lever does not seem to
work as well on small, tight tires. My experience is it works better
on skinny 559s and 700s.

I have used a 559 Razor/Conti GP 1.0 combo for years. It takes a
little work to change but nothing close to what you described.

Sounds like you were installing a new tire. It should be easier if
you ever have to fix a flat on that tire. Some tires are just plain
mean right out of the box.

I just repaired a couple of kids bikes to give to children who have
never had a bike. Those 20" 2.125 knobbies almost did me in. I think
I could have changed a tractor tire (by hand) easier.

Good luck, Don
Old August 15th 03, 05:31 PM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Stelvio's are a tight tire which is a good thing in event of a sudden flat at
speed. It makes it more likely to retain control.
Use as thin of rim tape as possible.
Simson makes a great tool for mounting tight tires. Instead of a lever between
the tire and rim it works by a hinged arm on a handle that presses against the
rim on the opposite side of the rim. Very easy to put the toughest of tires on.
Doesn't damage the rim or tire. I've seen a larger version used in motorcycle
shops.
Speedy

Old August 15th 03, 11:04 PM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Kool-stop tire bead jack
looks the same as the one I have
Give that a try on a search engine
Speedy

The C Man wrote:

Simson makes a great tool for mounting tight tires. Instead of a
lever between the tire and rim it works by a hinged arm on a handle
that presses against the rim on the opposite side of the rim.
Very easy to put the toughest of tires on.

Any chance you could provide a link to a pic of this tool?