Bike Lock info (Krypto specific)

Old April 18th 04, 08:41 PM
Chris

Default Bike Lock info (Krypto specific)

For everyone that locks up:

I heard conflicting reports regarding Kryptonite's anti-theft-replacement
guarantee, so I went to the source. Contrary to the info I had heard, you
do NOT need to provide the damaged lock to Kryptonite. My e-mail from
Krypto said:

Chris,
I've attached a copy of the guarantee instructions and we do review each
claim on an individual basis and pay claims even when the lock has been
taken during the theft.

So, provided you took steps like Nat. Bike Reg, used a substantial lock, and
reported the theft to the cops, I imagine you'll be taken care of. This
makes me feel better: I plan on building a Surly Crosscheck up pretty good
(just under a G for frame and parts) and locking it up on campus with a NY
Chain, even though I had a bike stolen about 6 months ago. Since the
NYChain is, apparently, the best lock on Earth, I can't imagine either theft
or lack of Krypto reimbursement. Or, I am a naive moron. So much for that
college education.

Chris

Old April 18th 04, 11:21 PM
Slacker

Chris wrote:

For everyone that locks up:

I heard conflicting reports regarding Kryptonite's anti-theft-replacement
guarantee, so I went to the source. Contrary to the info I had heard, you
do NOT need to provide the damaged lock to Kryptonite. My e-mail from
Krypto said:

I aint no lawyer, but I would imagine it's probably illegal to offer a
theft guarantee on your lock, but require proof of the damaged lock to
make a claim?? That's just asinine. What is if the *******(s) nicked it,
bike and all!

Anyways, I just saw (for the first time) one of those locks/chains at a
local MX shop. I'll be getting one for my Turner... very heavy duty!
Dang, between the chain and my bike, the damn thing will weigh 75 lbs.
Good luck trying to carry it down three flights of stairs.
--
Slacker