A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jumping Chain

Old January 11th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

Andrew, I had a strange occurrence today. I got out on the bike and did 21 miles with an average speed of 13.6 with LOTS of stop lights and 20 minutes or so of that into 10 mph wind and probably averaging around 14.5 during that time.

When I started the chain was jumping as if it had a bent spot on it. I kept stopping and adjusting it because I though I might simply have the derailleur misaligned. (I exchanged wheelsets between bikes)

But it was jumping just like it had a bent link. Now it was a good chain with little mileage on it. The distance between the jumps was about a chain length. I looked at the master link since this was a "gold" chain that came with one of those crooked master links which are supposed to be reusable. But I had replaced it with a normal master link.

As I covered the first 10 miles the jumping got progressively less and less until it disappeared.

Have you got any suggestions of what might have caused that?

Ads
Old January 11th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM, wrote:
Andrew, I had a strange occurrence today. I got out on the bike and did 21 miles with an average speed of 13.6 with LOTS of stop lights and 20 minutes or so of that into 10 mph wind and probably averaging around 14.5 during that time.

When I started the chain was jumping as if it had a bent spot on it. I kept stopping and adjusting it because I though I might simply have the derailleur misaligned. (I exchanged wheelsets between bikes)

But it was jumping just like it had a bent link. Now it was a good chain with little mileage on it. The distance between the jumps was about a chain length. I looked at the master link since this was a "gold" chain that came with one of those crooked master links which are supposed to be reusable. But I had replaced it with a normal master link.

As I covered the first 10 miles the jumping got progressively less and less until it disappeared.

Symptom of a binding rivet or snaplink.

Backpedal slowly while observing chain or running it through
your fingers until you find the offending link. Lubricate
that link, flex it both in normal plane and slightly side to
side until it moves freely.

If that doesn't free it or if chain is bent (visible while
looking at the run of chain end-on) throw it away. Chain
failure risks rider injury.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old January 13th 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 1:04:36 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Damn, it never occurred to me that it could have been a frozen link. That's why it finally started working. Thanks.
Old January 17th 19, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

On 1/13/2019 12:05 PM, wrote:
On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM,
wrote:

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Damn, it never occurred to me that it could have been a frozen link. That's why it finally started working. Thanks.

It also could be a stretched or binding shift cable and finally started
to move freely from shifting the gears.

--
Coach JQ

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Old January 17th 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 11:47:36 PM UTC-8, JQ wrote:
On 1/13/2019 12:05 PM, wrote:
On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM,
wrote:

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

It also could be a stretched or binding shift cable and finally started
to move freely from shifting the gears.

--
Coach JQ

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Well, I could see how that could have been but the shifting appeared to be normal and I have stainless cables with nylon liners.
Old January 20th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Jumping Chain

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I went down in the garage to ride the trainer a couple of days ago and the chain was doing the same thing but in a dozen places. Because of your suggestion I thought that the chain lube I had put on there might not be working.. Since it has been wet and the near future looks to continue, I lubed the chain with Ice Wax. This stuff is really thick, After putting a drop on every link I rode it on the trainer and after a minute or two all worked like new.

I took the bike out yesterday for 26 miles over mostly gravel and not only was there no grabbing but the shifting worked better than it has. Not a missed gear and no jumping between gears.