Jumping Chain

Old January 11th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Jumping Chain

Andrew, I had a strange occurrence today. I got out on the bike and did 21 miles with an average speed of 13.6 with LOTS of stop lights and 20 minutes or so of that into 10 mph wind and probably averaging around 14.5 during that time.

When I started the chain was jumping as if it had a bent spot on it. I kept stopping and adjusting it because I though I might simply have the derailleur misaligned. (I exchanged wheelsets between bikes)

But it was jumping just like it had a bent link. Now it was a good chain with little mileage on it. The distance between the jumps was about a chain length. I looked at the master link since this was a "gold" chain that came with one of those crooked master links which are supposed to be reusable. But I had replaced it with a normal master link.

As I covered the first 10 miles the jumping got progressively less and less until it disappeared.

Have you got any suggestions of what might have caused that?

Old January 11th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Symptom of a binding rivet or snaplink.

Backpedal slowly while observing chain or running it through
your fingers until you find the offending link. Lubricate
that link, flex it both in normal plane and slightly side to
side until it moves freely.

If that doesn't free it or if chain is bent (visible while
looking at the run of chain end-on) throw it away. Chain
failure risks rider injury.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 13th 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 1:04:36 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

Damn, it never occurred to me that it could have been a frozen link. That's why it finally started working. Thanks.
Old January 17th 19, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ

wrote:
[...]

It also could be a stretched or binding shift cable and finally started
to move freely from shifting the gears.

--
Coach JQ

---

Old January 17th 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Well, I could see how that could have been but the shifting appeared to be normal and I have stainless cables with nylon liners.
Old January 20th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 1/11/2019 2:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

I went down in the garage to ride the trainer a couple of days ago and the chain was doing the same thing but in a dozen places. Because of your suggestion I thought that the chain lube I had put on there might not be working.. Since it has been wet and the near future looks to continue, I lubed the chain with Ice Wax. This stuff is really thick, After putting a drop on every link I rode it on the trainer and after a minute or two all worked like new.

I took the bike out yesterday for 26 miles over mostly gravel and not only was there no grabbing but the shifting worked better than it has. Not a missed gear and no jumping between gears.

Chain jumping out of big cog when climbing Tim Graichen Techniques 2 October 7th 06 03:24 PM
campagnolo jumping chain M. Bakunin Techniques 6 August 9th 06 02:48 PM
chain tension/jumping czb Mountain Biking 4 July 7th 05 05:50 AM
Jumping chain. Tazlvr UK 11 January 1st 05 05:44 PM
chain jumping; quite frustrating, help? Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 1 July 9th 03 03:45 PM