crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Old February 22nd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default crank grabbing ruins cranks!?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but after learning to do crank grabs,
mostly on hard surfaces, I've noticed that the cranks are getting
pretty banged up, including where it fits on to the splined axle. Is
this par for the course, or not? I'd rather be doing pedal grabs, but
I'm not there yet. I was thinking maybe I could cover or line the
bottom of the cranks with hard plastic or vinyl, in the hopes it would
protect the metal part.

--
terrybigwheel

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti.
terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

Old February 22nd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Learn pedal grabs. That'll solve that problem.

--
forrestunifreak

'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

Old February 22nd 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i noticed that to. Would putting some thick ass tape on the bottom of
the crank (the pedal grab side) be an option at least until i need to
use my cranks for grinding (im not quite up to that stage yet)?

--
albino_gumby
albino_gumby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11695

Old February 22nd 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I've found the same thing. I don't think it matters so much on the
cranks, but because I'm not too accurate I often land on the bearing
holders, and they've been eaten up quite a bit. I'm going to glue an
old piece of bike tyre to the underside of the bearing holder to
protect it a bit. I cut the tyre crossways so that the curve fits the
holder. Does anyone think this will actually do any good, or will it
just fall straight off/not protect the bearings themselves at all?

--
matt_t

You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even
more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla!'
matt_t's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10922

Old February 22nd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I used to think crankgrabbing would ruin my cranks, that was half a year
ago, I land on them like an atomic bomb and they're still fine. Don't
use tape, just go on crankgrabbing, like Checker said, they're just
scratches. I suggest you pollish your cranks when you start grinding
though, much smoother.

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Old February 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

wonderul. thanks for that.

Old February 22nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

DustinMichels wrote:
I used to think crankgrabbing would ruin my cranks, that was half a year
ago, I land on them like an atomic bomb and they're still fine. Don't
use tape, just go on crankgrabbing, like Checker said, they're just
scratches. I suggest you pollish your cranks when you start grinding
though, much smoother.

I thought most if not ALL grinding was done on the pedals
ONLY...no?

Old February 22nd 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Terry,

You need to see some vids. The vids show you how all this works out.
It's fun to watch and even more fun to do. I got the whole package of
DVD's and videos.

Next time you come over the hill to the valley for riding, we can
arrange for you to take them home and watch them. You supply the drool
cup.

Cheers

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - Email teachndad (att) gmail(dott) com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greate...Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

Old February 22nd 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The Munieer wrote:
Terry,

You need to see some vids. The vids show you how all this works out.
It's fun to watch and even more fun to do. I got the whole package of
DVD's and videos.

Next time you come over the hill to the valley for riding, we can
arrange for you to take them home and watch them. You supply the drool
cup.

Cheers

Hey Rod,

I've DL'd tons of great vids, but I can never quite tell if it's pedal
only, or cranks as well, on grinds. Believe me, I've studied ALL of
these including the HUGE 85 megs of Jess's latest vid. The angles don't
allow me to see close-ups of the grinds from the side of the grind. So
it's not that I haven't seen vids; I've have more than 100! And the
problem also is that I cannot slow down the (grind) footage. Yes, many
are shown in slo-mo but agin, not from the angle that **CLEARLY** shows
the contact; at least not of the cranks during grinding. So, having
clarified that to you, do you grind with cranks and pedals, or just
pedals?

Old February 23rd 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

terrybigwheel wrote:
I thought most if not ALL grinding was done on the pedals
ONLY...no?

Not me, I even use some of my bearing holder :P It's horrible on boxes,
but rails are going just fine... If I'd grind on my pedal I'd be dead
:

--
DustinMichels

Biologically speaking, if something bites you it's more likely to be
female. - Desmond Morris

If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie. -
Rask

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Trying to find 165mm MTB crank BarryNL Techniques 7 May 26th 05 01:41 PM
Cranks (yet more) JJuggle Unicycling 22 February 16th 05 01:26 AM
ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
An observations about Q-Factor and Crank Length Greg Lewis Techniques 10 February 13th 04 02:22 PM
Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks Rocketman General 15 November 13th 03 07:32 PM