Bike for 500lb Person?

Old October 25th 04, 01:48 AM

Default Bike for 500lb Person?

Hi,

What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old October 25th 04, 04:30 AM
Zoot Katz

24 Oct 2004 17:48:58 -0700,
,
wrote:

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Worksman cruiser and add a BMX style crank.
http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html
--
zk
Old October 25th 04, 03:27 PM
Chris Neary

No normal bike is made to accomodate someone so obese.

There maybe no stock bike id designed for those loads, but it's not out of
the question to readily design a bike which could.

A loaded tandem team can exceed 500 pounds.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old October 25th 04, 07:13 PM
R15757

Dave Stallard wrote:

I'd recommend a stationary bike in a gym.

At 500 lbs, riding a regular bike is not safe for him or for others
sharing the road with him.

Ah come on man. I would like to give a big high five to
whoever this 500-lb. dude is who is out riding bikes and
snapping cranks.

I wonder if a Surly 1x1 with BMX cranks and downhill
wheels could handle the girth.

Robert
Old October 25th 04, 08:07 PM

Just curious. I was thinking about this OP as I was pedaling along on a
night ride last night.

500 pounds is certainly a large individual. I'm giving the benefit of the
doubt that the OP was genuine and serious.

I am genuine and serious. This person is a very good friend of mine,
and he loves cycling. He used to ride an Electra Rally Sport. Apart
from a bent crank (yes, the cranks again), it held up well -- it even
survived a nasty crash -- but it's a single speed and the rear brake
has almost 0 stopping power.

Despite his weight, he can ride for long periods, and he was riding
almost every day. I've been on ~20 mile rides with him. Since
riding, he lost 10 - 12 lbs and he's trying to adopt a healthier
lifestyle. But cycling is still his love, so naturally it's his
choice of exercise.

IIRC, the man in question has already snapped a couple of pairs of cranks.

Not so much snapping as "cored out". It's hard to describe. Where
the crank threads, it looked like it was stripped from the inside. I
should have been more specific, I apologize. But he did manage to
bend the crank on his previous bike as well. In each case of the
"break" it was the left crank, and it may have been a bent left crank
on his previous ride.

How is that possible? Wouldn't LA -- or any other top TdF rider put
dramatically more force on the cranks than this gentleman likely could?

Is it safe to assume that--if this /is/ true--that we must be talking about
some really poor, totally low-end cranks?? IOW: how much force can your
average Ultegra/105/DA crankset take before it gives. I was assuming it was
about 10x anything I'd ever give.....

I was out with him when he lost his left crank the first time, so I
saw it (and the crank) first hand. My friend is convinced the problem
was due to the threading being in the direction of motion, but I'm not
so sure. It seems like this shouldn't be an issue either way.

Also, the last time out, he warped his wheel, so it isn't just the
crank that's an issue.

If it comes down to it, I'll be happy to accept recommendations for
good quality cranks and wheels. Maybe he can just outfit a bike he
likes with them. I'm not sure what his max price is, but he was
willing to buy an adult trike for $550 + tax, so I figure that's a
safe figure to start from.

Thanks in Advance.

Road, touring or cross bike? Yellowstone Yeti General 20 August 27th 04 03:43 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM