Walk or ride?

Old December 16th 04, 06:15 AM
Bill Baka

Default Walk or ride?

Time for something new, I hope this isn't old. The last 2 days in
Californias' central valley have been glum, to say the least about the
weather. Yesterday, had a low of 53F and a high of 54F and fog all day.
The visibility and wet ground make for bad conditions around here,
mostly from idiot cagers, but still, not good, so I took me and my feet
out minus a bike. I was planning on only walking maybe a few miles and
after only about a half city block got restless and decided to pick up
the pace. I sped up to a jogging speed and then noticed I was in a high
impact zone, so I sped up to a mild run, much better. About 50 yards
into this and I decided to go a little faster and wound up at near
sprint speed with a nice wind on my face. Running at about 15 MPH was
not all that bad after so much time on the bike. After about 200 yards I
slowed down to a walk again, not really that winded, but wanting to
experiment. I wound up doing this for about 5 miles and found myself
home before the ETA for the shorter walk I had planned. I did find a
LIDAR trap the police had set out and found my max speed to be 17-18 MPH
and a few confused officers looking at me. It was a nice diversion for
two days, but the bike wins out. I couldn't have run like this a year
ago before getting into daily biking. At least I have an alternative
exercise for nearer to home. Five miles is the threshold for my feet
getting blisters (plain sneakers) but it may serve as a warm up to
biking in the future. I found myself totally at ease running except for
the ground I was on made it clear to me to pay attention. Dumping a bike
is one thing, tripping over a hole running is totally another, and more
embarrassing with witnesses. The last time I tripped up badly while
running was 1982 at sunset and I stepped into a large pothole and pulled
a muscle, so two weeks of pain or some road rash? I will take the road
rash as a badge of honor.
Just an estimate of impact values for me, a little table down below.
Impact factors (for me).
Walk = 3 MPH, no impact.
Fast walk = 5 MPH, little impact.
Slow jog = 8 MPH, high impact.
Fast jog = 12 MPH, highest impact.
Slow run = 13 MPH, lower impact, using balls of feet.
Fast run = 15 MPH, still lower impact.
Sprint = 17-18 MPH, what impact, barely touching ground, but not
sustainable.
Biking all low impact.
Slow biking = 13-15 MPH.
Medium biking = 17-18 MPH.
Fast biking = 20-21 MPH.
Slow spring biking = 24-26 MPH.
Fast sprint biking = 30-32 MPH ???.

OK, it's a boring day again so I am trolling a little bit, but that is
where I have been when not doing Christmas type stuff.
Bill Baka

Old December 16th 04, 02:12 PM
Roger Zoul

Bill Baka wrote:

:: Impact factors (for me).
:: Walk = 3 MPH, no impact.
:: Fast walk = 5 MPH, little impact.

Interesting. Walk this fast would ruin my feet.

:: Slow jog = 8 MPH, high impact.
:: Fast jog = 12 MPH, highest impact.
:: Slow run = 13 MPH, lower impact, using balls of feet.
:: Fast run = 15 MPH, still lower impact.

:: Sprint = 17-18 MPH, what impact, barely touching ground, but not
:: sustainable.

I personally find that hard to believe. There may be preception issue at
play, but I admit to not knowing anything about it. I've often wondered how
I'd do at running, but since i used to have serious problems with me feet
(back when I weighed 367 lbs), I don't want to risk injury even though I'm
curious.

:: Biking all low impact.
:: Slow biking = 13-15 MPH.
:: Medium biking = 17-18 MPH.
:: Fast biking = 20-21 MPH.
:: Slow spring biking = 24-26 MPH.
:: Fast sprint biking = 30-32 MPH ???.
::
:: OK, it's a boring day again so I am trolling a little bit, but that
:: is where I have been when not doing Christmas type stuff.
:: Bill Baka

Idle chit chat ain't trolling. I thought it was an interesting post. I've
been doing other forms of working out too, for similar reasons.

Old December 16th 04, 02:40 PM

Idle chit chat ain't trolling.
Take a look at those jog/run MPH's again. He's trolling.

Old December 16th 04, 05:15 PM
gds

Looks like world championship duatholon efforts with no impact.
And then a nice lunch I imagine.

Old December 16th 04, 05:53 PM
Bill Baka

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:12:53 -0500, Roger Zoul
wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:

:: Impact factors (for me).
:: Walk = 3 MPH, no impact.
:: Fast walk = 5 MPH, little impact.

Interesting. Walk this fast would ruin my feet.

Well, I didn't do that for a mile so it was only a guess,
but I do cover about 3 miles in an hour of average walking.

:: Slow jog = 8 MPH, high impact.
:: Fast jog = 12 MPH, highest impact.
:: Slow run = 13 MPH, lower impact, using balls of feet.
:: Fast run = 15 MPH, still lower impact.

:: Sprint = 17-18 MPH, what impact, barely touching ground, but not
:: sustainable.

I personally find that hard to believe. There may be preception issue at
play, but I admit to not knowing anything about it.

Again, there is the perception issue, but the 17-18 was verified by the
police LIDAR unit installed at the speed trap. 17-18 is flat out for me,
being 5'7" and shorter legs. The speed trap LIDAR uses laser light, or so
I am told, so it will pick up a person as well as a car.
I tried this once before at the H.P. facility I was working at in 1994
down in Santa Clara and got 17 on that one. H.P. was timing parking lot
speeds and had the threshold set at 10 MPH, and the one I found for the
speed trap was at 15 MPH, but I don't know exactly how accurate they are.
What has me curious is that the fast run is not that much slower than my
all out speed, and that is judged by the wind on my face, self generated,
and that feels about like 15 MPH on the bike. The challenge seemed to be
going from a fast jog to a run just getting the inertia of the body
moving, kind of like starting out in a high gear on the bike. I haven't
really tried serious running since I was in my 20s so it was kind of like
exploring new territory again. My main problem is that with any shoes I
have the limit is 5 miles before I start to get blisters. That is where I
would transition to the bike if I decide to go with this in the summer.

I've often wondered
how
I'd do at running, but since i used to have serious problems with me feet
(back when I weighed 367 lbs), I don't want to risk injury even though
I'm
curious.

I was up to 200 pounds before I started this biking thing and I am now at
155 for a while until I can figure out where I want to be. I was down to
143 but my wife, daughter, step daughter, and her kids (my inherited
grandchildren) all were telling me I was too skinny. I think that was the
bicycle effect where all my muscle weight went down to my legs, since I
can't do as many push ups as I used to, even though I now weigh less.
Sounds like a reason to cross train to me, since I also can't lift weights
as well. The only worry I have is tripping over some road debris or
stepping into a hole and pulling a muscle. Road rash I can handle, pulled
muscles I hate.

:: Biking all low impact.
:: Slow biking = 13-15 MPH.
:: Medium biking = 17-18 MPH.
:: Fast biking = 20-21 MPH.
:: Slow spring biking = 24-26 MPH.
:: Fast sprint biking = 30-32 MPH ???.
::
:: OK, it's a boring day again so I am trolling a little bit, but that
:: is where I have been when not doing Christmas type stuff.
:: Bill Baka

Idle chit chat ain't trolling. I thought it was an interesting post.
I've
been doing other forms of working out too, for similar reasons.

Here is a non troll addition to this post. Does anyone know about hand
bikes for healthy people to use for an upper body workout to supplement
the regular biking? I am thinking this might be a way to maintain
motivation since I would be going somewhere and not just looking at a gym
or weights or whatever. Do those things cost a bunch or are they
affordable? I used to do a lot of rowing when I had a lake for a back yard
in Illinois and built up fairly fast but lakes are non-existant in
California, at least as far as having one near a house. I had a big and
heavy boat that was meant for a motor so rowing was work and an hour a day
of that after my job was my routine. If I didn't work off my 8 hours of
putting up with a jerk of a company owner I may have just sqeezed his neck
for fun (He was, owner, president by his own decree, and asshole). That
guy is also the reason I moved back to California. Anyway, hand bikes???

Bill (Curious) Baka
Old December 16th 04, 05:57 PM
Bill Baka

On 16 Dec 2004 06:40:54 -0800, wrote:

Idle chit chat ain't trolling.

Take a look at those jog/run MPH's again. He's trolling.

Those were just guess numbers. Any of you guys run that much?
I was a long distance champ in grade school, lousy sprinter,
but I could run all day. I used to do it until I was 29,
waiting for my baseball team to all arrive on Sundays, for
out beer and ball game. No troll, I really did spend a few days
off the bike running.

--
Bill (?) Baka
Old December 16th 04, 06:07 PM
gds

Your main problem is not "with your shoes"

Old December 16th 04, 06:17 PM
Bill Baka

On 16 Dec 2004 09:15:17 -0800, gds wrote:

Looks like world championship duatholon efforts with no impact.
And then a nice lunch I imagine.

Best guesses, no way to time it all except the top speed per LIDAR.
The speed trap wouldn't measure me below 15 MPH and the cops looked
like they were gonna get out of the donut-mobile and ask me to leave,
or worse, stay with them in the car.

--
Bill (?) Baka