Training for a long ride

Old March 14th 07, 04:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Default Training for a long ride

Boostland wrote:

180 is a lot if your close to being true only a few are
needed.

I'm not sure I follow you. Adjusting a couple of spokes by half
a turn each is a lot?

I have built / repaired more wheels than I can count and can
get them within a sheet of paper in run out.

I tighten the ones on the side it needs to go towards a few
and loosen the ones on the other side a few , that way your
not pulling more tension on one part of the wheel and causing
it to have run out in the vertical plane.

You're right about the /possibility/ of inducing a bit of
run-out, of course. I used to do it your way, but since
changing I've never found run-out to be significant. It's
something that could be looked at later if you wanted, and not
something to cause you to head home early - you'd never even
notice it on the road. Just tightening makes for a simple and
effective running repair.

Have a read of Sheldon's guide for wheel truing.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning

John
Old March 14th 07, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

"pdamm" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 14, 1:17 pm, John Henderson wrote:
I wrote:
Tighten each spoke by a half turn (180º).

To clarify, there's no need to tighten spokes right arund the
wheel - far from it. Just work gently on the ones which will
work to pull the wheel into line.

John

A fibre fix spoke is a good cheats way out. This is a string spoke
(actually made out of kevlar) that comes with instructions and fits
any size wheel. You don't need to mess around taking clusters off if
the broken spoke is on the drive side. The are available from, amoung
other places, St Kilda cycles
http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/prod...ccessories.htm
They are cheaper from various overseas on line bike shops.

Peter Damm

Peter Damm

That is the coolest thing I have seen in ages!

What a great idea!

Cheers Dre

Old March 14th 07, 07:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 14, 3:53 pm, John Henderson wrote:
Boostland wrote:
180 is a lot if your close to being true only a few are
needed.

I'm not sure I follow you. Adjusting a couple of spokes by half
a turn each is a lot?

Yes, it is. Generally, 1/8-1/4 at a time, IME, when fine-tuning a
wheel. Bulk (1/2 - 1) is only for bringing up tension in the first
instance.

Old March 14th 07, 07:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Sheesh no wonder my wheel was totally warped! I was tightening all the
spokes - I mean really tightening them! Oh well live and learn. Thanks
guys, tomorrow I am picking up an old wheel that has been sitting in a shed
for years and I am going to play with it. Let you know what happens! Thanks
Kathy
oups.com...

Old March 15th 07, 01:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Bleve wrote:

Yes, it is. Generally, 1/8-1/4 at a time, IME, when
fine-tuning a wheel. Bulk (1/2 - 1) is only for bringing up
tension in the first instance.

On further thought, I agree. In fact, I do use 1/4 turn
increments when the wheel's getting close to true. On the
simple rough-and-ready method I suggested, 1/4 turns _are_ more
appropriate when getting close to true because alternatively
tightening right and right in the same spot to reduce lateral
(side-to-side) run-out _will_ result in more radial
(out-of-round) run-out.

John
Old March 15th 07, 02:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 14, 6:55 pm, "just us" wrote:
Sheesh no wonder my wheel was totally warped! I was tightening all the
spokes - I mean really tightening them!

If they're paired spoke wheels (They're Bonties?) then this is
probably more important than with a conventional spoking pattern. I'd
suggest if you have time and confidence, that you detension a few
spokes on one of your touring wheels and then true it up. This way
you'll not get any funny surprises if you have a failure on the trip.
Bear in mind that rears are different (and trickier) than fronts.

Old March 15th 07, 02:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

I wrote:

right and right

when I meant left and right.

John

Old March 15th 07, 03:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum[_18_]

just us Wrote:
the middle aged still learning this cycling business wannabe :P

I think you're doing a brilliant job. Go girlfriend!!

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old March 15th 07, 09:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

On Mar 15, 2:19 pm, LotteBum LotteBum.2ng...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
just us Wrote: the middle aged still learning this cycling business wannabe :P

I think you're doing a brilliant job. Go girlfriend!!

Lotte

--
LotteBum

A long ride. Everyone is concentrating on the mechanicals and the
training. Sure, you've got that under control.

My first long ride was in 2003, when I rode from Brisbane to Cairns.
Yes, already you can see problems. Maybe a 300km or so first? But
there you go, in at the deep end.

What mistakes did I make?

1. Setting daily targets for myself based on looking at the map, and
estimating how far I thought I could ride in a day. This is fine, but
you find it is hillier than you thought, or there is a massive
headwind.

Lesson 1: Only ride as far as you feel like riding. Then stop. Be
prepared to stop where there aren't lots of facilities. (See water,
below.)

2. I carried way too much stuff, and the wrong stuff. I carried cotton
clothing which stayed wet for days. I even threw out synthetic
clothing and kept the cotton. I carried extra shoes, and ended up
posting them back home.

Lesson 2: Look very critically at the weight. If you are going to be
riding all the time, you only need stuff for riding.

3. I rode on the wrong bicycle. Instead of a dedicated touring bike, I
modified my road bike. I don't think you'll make this mistake. Now
that I have a good touring bike, I reckon it is 30% easier.

4. Food. It's ok to survive for a couple of days on dehydrated food,
and takeaway from shops. After a couple of weeks on this, you are
going to be in trouble. Think carefully about diet. After a while you
will eat less food. Honest! You go into high efficiency mode. But the
quality of the food is absolutely critical. Country roadhouses are not
good for your health :-)

5. Water. How I got dehydrated. I had to stop (headwind), and then
camp. So I used up my water supplies, with only one bottle to get to
the next town. Did not drink enough, as I was aware that supplies were
low. Filled up ok, then took off. Then, on a long stretch with no
shops (120km), I made one of my biggest mistakes. I had a bottle of
water on the back, tied on with an Ocky strap. Stopped for a drink,
where is bottle? Dropped off somewhere in the last 30km. Not good. Bad
dehydration, almost medical. Not good. I had to ring home for medical
advice: I hated doing that.

Nowadays I carry two bidons plus at least 4litres of water, even in
mild weather. This is enough to drink for the day, cook overnight and
ride most of the next day to water. This is ok around Victoria.

6. Mechanicals. I think this is the only bit I got right. Told the
bike shop where I was going, and got them to take the bike apart
completely and look critically at absolutely every part. It cost me
around $400, but it was money well spent. There are not many bike
shops out there. I didn't even have a puncture in weeks of riding.
Excellent.

Have a great ride.

Old March 16th 07, 11:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Thanks Andrew - I am hoping that years of serious remote bushwalking has
enabled me to have the right gear. Plan on 2 knicks, 2 riding jerseys (long
sleeve cos of sun) and one only lightweight pair of longs that zip to
shorts, one only lightweight shirt, and a very exy lightweight pullover, one
riding rain jacket (super light weight). Shoes - I ride in Keens, so these
are my day time riding shoes, nighttime wear about shoes etc etc. Have all
the lightweight tent/mattress etc and know that I can go with as little as
10kgs. Water on board will be 3 litres in a "carrybladder" plus 3 x 750mls
on bidons. Really really looking forward to the challenge of getting the
food right. I know that I can go for a 9 day remote hike with 4 1/2kgs of
dried food and not loose weight so it will be interesting to see how day in
day out of riding compares. I plan to carry 4 days of dehydrated food (I dry
my own) and to stop and buy fresh and cook it myself where possible. Not
really into takeaways in a big way. LOL... will let you know at the end of
it!
Kathy

Adult Training Wheels (long...winded) Brian General 0 January 29th 06 08:38 AM
Q's on bad training ride Sandy Racing 23 January 26th 06 04:08 AM
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
Ride report - the Dragon Ride (long) Richard Goodman UK 9 June 24th 05 07:26 PM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 12:59 PM