DT 440 front hub

Old September 11th 07, 11:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

Default DT 440 front hub

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a DT 440 20mm front hub, but when I spin the
axle, it feels notchy, you can distinctively feel its not smooth. I'm
positive my older 440 front hub didn't do this when I got it, but its been a
while now since I got it.

The people selling it to me are saying that its normal and it will go away,
well I'm dubious because I've never had a brand new ball bearing feel like
this before.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before?? Are new hubs
allowed to have some clickiness when you spin them by hand straight out of
the box?

Thanks for any ideas...

Cheers Dre

Old September 12th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Sep 11, 3:24 pm, "Dre" wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a DT 440 20mm front hub, but when I spin the
axle, it feels notchy, you can distinctively feel its not smooth. I'm
positive my older 440 front hub didn't do this when I got it, but its been a
while now since I got it.

The people selling it to me are saying that its normal and it will go away,
well I'm dubious because I've never had a brand new ball bearing feel like
this before.

Has anyone else experienced something like this before?? Are new hubs
allowed to have some clickiness when you spin them by hand straight out of
the box?

Thanks for any ideas...

Cheers Dre

Zap DT Hugi in Grand Junction, CO an email. They do warranty work
there and the warranty dude can easily answer your question.

JD

Old September 12th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

"JD" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 11, 3:24 pm, "Dre" wrote:
[...]

I've allready emailled them, but no reply as yet, thanks.

Its ok though cause I've told the people selling it to me to stick it. They
tried to tell me its normal and the hub will *bed* in. What a load of BS.
I have never ever had a *ball* bearing thats needed bedding in.

Everyone I have spoken to agrees with what I think and thats new ball
bearings shouldn't feel notchy, they dont, so they wont get my business
anymore...

Cheers Dre

Old September 19th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Sep 11, 7:35 pm, "Dre" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 11, 3:24 pm, "Dre" wrote:
[...]

Cheers Dre- Hide quoted text -

They should not feel notchy at all. They should feel a little tight,
but smooth. Inspect the spoke holes on your 'new' hub for signs of
use.

R.

Old September 19th 07, 05:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dre

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 11, 7:35 pm, "Dre" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Sep 11, 3:24 pm, "Dre" wrote:
[...]

Exactly, I've sent it back, they wouldn't return the hub to the manufacturer
for warrenty so I told them to stick it. I've now got my money back and am
looking elsewhere.

The thing that annoys me is that no one from DT has replied to my emails, I
have emailled 4 different addresses from all around the world without a
single response. Thats crap imo.

Cheers Dre