starting MTBing - brand

Old June 3rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jon R. Patrick

Default starting MTBing - brand

I'm just starting into mountain biking, mostly on flat 'greenway' trails
right now. I don't foresee myself moving to anything much more extreme.

15-20 years ago i was an avid road biker; i've tried to get back into it
but with traffic and my sense of mortality, i've decided the right thing
to do is get back into biking and get off the road!

I've been borrowing a very old (and heavy) MTB from a friend for a few
weeks and enjoying the heck out of it (even with NO suspension).

I've been poking around, and there's a couple of sub-$300 bikes at
Dick's that look appealing to me - 2 Columbia's and a couple of
Diamonbacks.

So, the point of all this is: does anyone have any good feedback on
these 2 brands? stay away? Okay? just anything. in the showroom they
seem good enough, but i know absolutely zero about the components
they're made from to know if they're any good.

Thanks in advance,
JP

--
---------------------------------------
Save up to 20% on your Long Distance!
Old June 3rd 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
userfriendly

88.18...
:
[...]

I was just in your position, except that I am currently a road cyclist and
wanted to add mountain biking. Again, like you, nothing too extreme. I
checked into Dicks- the Iron Horse and the Diamondback brands. Then I read
a bit more and learned about components and decided to go with a real bike
shop brand. Diamondback used to be bike shop quality, but not so much
anymore.

I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so. Front shock, not full
suspension. I looked at and would easily recommend Giant, Raleigh,
Cannondale and Specialized- all in that entry-level price range. With each,
you can upgrade components if you get more serious.

Disc brakes are nice- they add $100 to the price but were worth it to me. A
good rule of thumb is- don't buy any full suspension bike under $1000- it'll
be crap.

If you have a good idea what frame size you need, you could go with
www.bikesdirect.com, but add money to have a local bike shop put it together
for you.

Best of Luck,
Brian

Old June 4th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Zilla

[...]

If you have a local craigslist, look at the bikes section there. A couple
of folks suggested the Specialized brands, and I do see a those in my
local area.

Old June 4th 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Jun 3, 2:18 pm, "userfriendly" wrote:
I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so.

Ugh! What a waste of $650.

JD

Old June 5th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
userfriendly

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Jun 3, 2:18 pm, "userfriendly" wrote:
: I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so.
:
:
: Ugh! What a waste of $650.
:
: JD

Great! Thanks for the encouragement...

Old June 5th 07, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Jun 5, 7:40 am, "userfriendly" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

oups.com...
: On Jun 3, 2:18 pm, "userfriendly" wrote:
: I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so.
:
:
: Ugh! What a waste of $650.
:
: JD

Great! Thanks for the encouragement...

Let us know when it develops any of many problems those POSs develop,
including frame breakage. Google it, doof.

JD

Old June 5th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
userfriendly

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Jun 5, 7:40 am, "userfriendly" wrote:
: "JD" wrote in message
:
: oups.com...
: : On Jun 3, 2:18 pm, "userfriendly" wrote:
: : I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so.
: :
: :
: : Ugh! What a waste of $650.
: :
: : JD
:
: Great! Thanks for the encouragement...
:
:
: Let us know when it develops any of many problems those POSs develop,
: including frame breakage. Google it, doof.
:
: JD

I did- I read user reviews and talked to owners before purchasing. But
that's OK- some anonymous guy on usenet knows better than anyone and I
should therefore trust him above all else.

Old June 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JWL

JD wrote:
On Jun 5, 7:40 am, "userfriendly" wrote:
"JD" wrote in message

oups.com...
: On Jun 3, 2:18 pm, "userfriendly" wrote:
: I went with Gary Fisher Piranha- about $650 or so.
:
:
: Ugh! What a waste of $650.
:
: JD

Great! Thanks for the encouragement...

Let us know when it develops any of many problems those POSs develop,
including frame breakage. Google it, doof.

Spiteful prick. What is your problem?

DT vs DIO - MTBing to Dio LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 1 April 30th 07 12:27 AM
MTBing in Brisbane Peka Australia 0 December 18th 05 02:01 AM
MTBing in Melbourne? Claes Australia 6 June 15th 05 08:19 AM
MTBing the himalayas Duncan Mountain Biking 4 January 25th 05 08:36 AM
Morzine MTBing Niv UK 12 October 6th 03 12:54 PM