TdF and recumbents

Old July 30th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default TdF and recumbents

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
m...
Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

How many paved roads are steep enough to slow an average rider down
to 2-mph? Almost none.

Then complete the deathride on your recumbent and we'll talk.

Would I not be dead and unable to talk?

I'm sure someone must have done the deathride on a recumbent. So what do
they have to say?

How does one talk to the dead?

Thanks for demonstrating precisely what I was talking about. Recumbent
riders don't even want to discuss very difficult rides.

Mr. Sherman goes trivial whenever he wants to get out of something. He only
wants to talk about racing on his terms. I think he would be happiest in a
velodrome myself.

I sometimes I wonder if he has ever done an extended bicycle tour, either by
himself or with a group. I suspect not.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 30th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
How many paved roads are steep enough to slow an average rider down
to 2-mph? Almost none.
Then complete the deathride on your recumbent and we'll talk.
Would I not be dead and unable to talk?
I'm sure someone must have done the deathride on a recumbent. So what do
they have to say?

How does one talk to the dead?

Thanks for demonstrating precisely what I was talking about. Recumbent
riders don't even want to discuss very difficult rides.

Mr. Sherman goes trivial whenever he wants to get out of something. He only
wants to talk about racing on his terms. I think he would be happiest in a
velodrome myself.

Well, TK should clarify what he is writing about.

I sometimes I wonder if he has ever done an extended bicycle tour, either by
himself or with a group. I suspect not.

Hard to do an extended bicycle tour on a weekend.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old July 30th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Whats up with bringing off-road cycling into the discussion?
Lost track of which thread I was in. Nevertheless it is perfectly fine in
my book to try to race the Tour de France with a recumbent. Just try to
ride down those Alps roads fast enough to make up for the time lost on
the climb.
Note: Opinion stated as fact.
Here is Tom Sherman sounding like JimmyMac. He should find a different way
of saying it. But Mr. Kunich is right. No way you can make up going down
what you lose going up. This is as true of small hills as it is of mountain
passes.

Hey Ed,

Jim McNamara picked up the phrase from me, not the other way around.

Tom ... Dolan is as perceptive as the average tree stump. Tom is
right here and this is often an applicable phrase where Dolan is
concerned.

Hey Jim,

What you got against tree stumps?

Old July 30th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I was merely pointing out that Dolan is about that perceptive as an
average one. Actually, I've nothing against tree stumps. In fact I
rather prefer them to Dolan. The guy needs to put on his thinking cap
and here is a hint for Ed. It is not the one labeled DUNCE.

Old July 30th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
How many paved roads are steep enough to slow an average rider down
to 2-mph? Almost none.
Then complete the deathride on your recumbent and we'll talk.
Would I not be dead and unable to talk?
I'm sure someone must have done the deathride on a recumbent. So what
do they have to say?

How does one talk to the dead?
Thanks for demonstrating precisely what I was talking about. Recumbent
riders don't even want to discuss very difficult rides.

Mr. Sherman goes trivial whenever he wants to get out of something. He
only wants to talk about racing on his terms. I think he would be
happiest in a velodrome myself.

Well, TK should clarify what he is writing about.

Maybe so, but you **** everyone off because you never give an inch on
anything. Why is that? Surely you can't be that insecure. Hells Bells, I
have even known JimmyMac to occasionally concede a point or two.

I sometimes I wonder if he has ever done an extended bicycle tour, either
by himself or with a group. I suspect not.

Hard to do an extended bicycle tour on a weekend.

All this blather about racing is for the birds. A true cyclist will want to
do extended tours. An organized group tour is best because it is a royal
pain in the ass to have to carry your own camping gear on a bike.

For heaven's sakes, take a couple of weeks off and do a bike tour. I think
you would enjoy GRABAAWR in Wisconsin. That is in early July. There is one
in North Dakota, CANDISC, that takes place in early August. If you really
want to do an easy bike tour, there is one in Ohio known as GOBA in early
June that is super friendly. I have done all of these rides many times and I
have always enjoyed them immensely.

Trust me on this, life is too god damn short to spend all of it working at a
freaking job. Take some time off and do something that you think you would
really enjoy - like bike touring!

Old July 30th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jay Beattie

On Jul 29, 2:47*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 28, 12:28 pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
Not arguing, just curious--is there an explanation for why can you
"honk" on a normal upright, but not on a Moulton, or is it just an
observation?

George Mount won the California State Cat 1 Road Race on a Moulton.

An Alex, or a Dave?

EXACTLY - a Dave Moulton - a normal racing bike. Later they were named Fuso.

Great bikes, too -- and reasonably priced compared to the top end
Italian stuff in the late 70s/early 80s.-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 30th 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
On Jul 29, 10:06 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:
Tom ... Dolan is as perceptive as the average tree stump. Tom is
right here and this is often an applicable phrase where Dolan is
concerned.

Hey Jim,

What you got against tree stumps?

I was merely pointing out that Dolan is about that perceptive as an
average one....

I think the tree stumps perceive being compared to Dolan as an insult.

Old July 30th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 10:06 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
JimmyMac aka Jim McNamara wrote:

[...]
Tom ... Dolan is as perceptive as the average tree stump. Tom is
right here and this is often an applicable phrase where Dolan is
concerned.

Hey Jim,

What you got against tree stumps?

I was merely pointing out that Dolan is about that perceptive as an

average one. Actually, I've nothing against tree stumps. In fact I
rather prefer them to Dolan. The guy needs to put on his thinking cap
and here is a hint for Ed. It is not the one labeled DUNCE.

JimmyMac strikes again! He is like a little viper that you can hardly see
until you feel his sting. Actually, I have no more animosity toward JimmyMac
than I do Tom Sherman. In fact, I thank them both for keeping me ever
uppermost in their minds. Ed Dolan the Great deserves no less.

Old July 30th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

butbutbut, I am never wrong.

I sometimes I wonder if he has ever done an extended bicycle tour, either
by himself or with a group. I suspect not.

Hard to do an extended bicycle tour on a weekend.

All this blather about racing is for the birds. A true cyclist will want to
do extended tours. An organized group tour is best because it is a royal
pain in the ass to have to carry your own camping gear on a bike.

Racing discussion may be for the birds [1], but it is the topic of this
thread.

For heaven's sakes, take a couple of weeks off and do a bike tour. I think
you would enjoy GRABAAWR in Wisconsin. That is in early July. There is one
in North Dakota, CANDISC, that takes place in early August. If you really
want to do an easy bike tour, there is one in Ohio known as GOBA in early
June that is super friendly. I have done all of these rides many times and I
have always enjoyed them immensely.

Well, I will be eligible for full retirement in 32 years.

Trust me on this, life is too god damn short to spend all of it working at a
freaking job. Take some time off and do something that you think you would
really enjoy - like bike touring!

Some of my co-workers were just given permanent time off from their
jobs. Not a good situation, unless like Dolan you can live off the
fruits of your parent's labors.

[1] Do birds actually discuss bicycle racing?

Old July 30th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:
"Jon Bendtsen" wrote in message
What is the _unfaired_ recumbent hour record?
I think it was 29.76 Miles, i saw a youtube of it today.
Which seems a little slower than the UCI hour record, but
maybe that is because the rider is not the same?
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. I'd say that the unfaired recumbent
hour record is pretty darn remarkable. Did any noteworthy rider do it?
I dont know, look him up

I looked on the IHPVA site before I asked the question. The only
(recognized) hour record that looks to possibly be an unfaired recumbent
was set in 1938 at 31.4 mph. Quite a remarkable time if that was the
case. Help me out here a little bit.

This is were i looked.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wrra/records.asp

JonB

Thanks. I did a quick search on Sean Costin. It's clear that he loves
building HPV/recumbents and likely spends more time tinkering with them than
trying to maximize his fitness. Nothing wrong with that at all and as I
said, pretty darn remarkable. And judging from the looks, given equal
wattage from riders his would be able to go 20 % faster than an upright
(on a flat, wind protected surface ;-)

TdF and recumbents Pat[_13_] Techniques 237 August 6th 08 02:50 AM
Recumbents? SuperDave Recumbent Biking 1 January 16th 07 06:32 AM
Know Your Recumbents! DougC General 1 December 19th 06 10:55 AM
Any used recumbents in DFW? Tracer Recumbent Biking 10 August 23rd 05 11:23 PM
recumbents chrism Australia 4 September 16th 04 02:25 PM