Difference in Garmin Edge Models?

Old July 7th 20, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Difference in Garmin Edge Models?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Garmin Edge models? For instance - what is the difference between a 520 and a 530? I think that one of mine is an 830 and it has a lot of buttons on it and is a pain-in-the-butt to get working though the basic software appears to be the same thing. There are several probably Chinese copies some of which seem to have a better program and display as well as a longer battery life. But they don't connect to a Garmin mount and the one's they provide don't work for integrated bar/stem combos. The Garmins have absolutely terrible screen contrast and most of the time wearing sunglasses I can barely make out the speed leg alone the mileage. I will say that I really like the rear wheel placement of the speed and cadence mechanism I can't think of any possible worse position for a speed pickup that a front wheel But I may be biased since that is partially how I got my concussion.
Old July 8th 20, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:59:32 PM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

The difference between the 5xx and the 8xx is touchscreen (8xx) or buttons (5xx). The 530 is the successor of the 520 as the 830 is of the 820.
The 'washed'out apperance of the screen is the result of the choice of the display. It is readable without backlight to save battery life. I too find the map hard to read when it is in the shadow of myself; the numbers I can always read. To improve contrast you can turn on backlight permanently. Myself I turn in on permanently on a 80% setting. In that modemy edge 1030 still has a battery life of around 6-8 hours (two rides). The colors are definitely not as bright as the display of your phone, but there is a reason that display turns off so quickly.

Lou
Old July 8th 20, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

530-830 are the next generation and have fixed a lot of Garmin woes,
DCRainmaker is keen on both.

Main issue with the older Garmin’s was the processor was so slow, 520 plus
has a reputation for being dreadful for this.

A friend has a 530 which seems ok, I have a much older and slower Touring
which is quite feature rich for navigation but quite slow.

Roger Merriman

Old July 8th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

I have a Garmin Edge 500, and had a 3xx before that. I have never had a
problem seeing the screen. There is ample contrast during the day
regardless of the sunglasses I wear, and the backlight is fine at night.

Recently my Garmin Edge 500 failed and I bought a Lezyne Macro Plus.
Different mount, but otherwise very good. The only trouble was the
firmware as purchased was faulty and I had to update it using a Windows
PC (I normally use GNU/Linux), and it doesn't display percentage
gradient or VAM.

If it had these 2 features I would like it much more than my older Garmin.

--
JS
Old July 9th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I replaced my 800 with the 830 mostly for the extended battery charge life.
Was planning on a back to back 175k this year. The 800 was lucky to get 5
hours. The 830 is at 80% after 4 hours. So much better.

There seem to be less bugs with the 830, at least for my use case. I use
it for navigation but with the turn by turn mode. I’m normally looking at
the speed, cadence, grade etc. I rarely look at the map itself.

Old July 9th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:
[...]

The 830 has a smaller screen than the 800 did but the resolution is much
better so I get more fields on the screen. I did have to adjust the tilt
but I have little trouble reading it in sunlight.

Old July 9th 20, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Duane wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The 800 is what the Touring is based on, with the fitness etc features
removed and some navigation ones added.

Has to be said for that even if it’s navigating generally, it tends to have
over 50% left when I return I rarely ride for more than 5hrs but I don’t
pause or what not.

Wahoo have forced Garmin to up their game, ie put better processors so the
device doesn’t crash or take ages if asked to do something.

I generally find it’s fine but if it gets overwhelmed, it can crap out.

Roger Merriman

Old July 10th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Roger Merriman wrote:
Duane wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

My 800 was,Ike that when new but the battery degraded over time to where it
would not do a 4 hour ride. I swapped the battery once and it got up to 6
hours again but after a year or so started dropping. The 830 seems much
better.

As I said, this Is for my use case.

Old July 10th 20, 12:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Duane wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
Duane wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Mine Touring is 5 years old now, it’s what I use for fun rides rather than
commuting, so the cycle count is probably quite low, though I do store it
at 100% as I want to be able to use it fully.

Battery tech has improved over the years, my iPad I just replaced with a
new one, it’s battery was still good even after 7 years, clearly had lost
some capacity could still be used for many hrs.

The modern one has better battery but only mildly.

Roger Merriman

Garmin Edge 305 steve Techniques 5 May 14th 13 02:35 AM
Garmin 705 Edge coterock Marketplace 0 March 24th 12 05:20 AM
Garmin Edge 305 or Edge 500 ?? TheCoz Techniques 127 July 20th 10 12:00 AM
Garmin Edge 705 John[_4_] UK 3 September 2nd 07 08:03 PM
Anyone used a Garmin Edge? MattB Mountain Biking 17 May 4th 06 08:17 PM