Other MTB Meccas near Moab

Old January 25th 04, 09:29 PM
HKEK

Default Other MTB Meccas near Moab

I am planning a trip to Moab in the latter half of April to ride the
MTB trails. Are there any other world-class MTB meccas within
reasonable driving distance from Moab?

I am looking for something different (a contrast) from the wide-open
tree-less trails of Moab. (Are all the trails in Utah similar to those
in Moab?) Maybe some single track in nearby Colorado or maybe even
something along the Grand Canyon.

Any good suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

Old January 28th 04, 03:57 PM
Mopar Freak

Dude, check out Telluride, Colorado - it's home to both Johnny Tomac and Ned
Overend. Even closer is Fruita, Colorado - A*FRICKING*MAZING. A friend of
mine came back from 3 weeks down there (he split his time between the three
areas) and he liked Fruita the best, going as far as to say he can't believe
people who ride live anywhere else.

m...

Old February 1st 04, 04:32 PM
Per Löwdin

Maybe some single track in nearby Colorado or maybe even
something along the Grand Canyon.

We cycled in Colorado last year,
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm would suggest Durango,
Salida, Crested Butte or Frisco.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old February 5th 04, 03:57 PM
HKEK

My wife (she's from California, we now live in New England USA) did
her graduate work in Uppsala back in the early '70s. After checking
out your MTB info on Uppsala, I would like to take her back to Uppsala
for a visit! Probably in the heat of the summer, though.

Thanks for your response.

Old February 5th 04, 10:41 PM
Per Löwdin

My wife (she's from California, we now live in New England USA) did
her graduate work in Uppsala back in the early '70s. After checking
out your MTB info on Uppsala, I would like to take her back to Uppsala
for a visit! Probably in the heat of the summer, though.

If you do you are welcome to get in touch. Best season is June before
midsummer. Weather is nice, days are long, and there is still plenty of
people in town. Later, say 2d week of July, Uppsala becomes pretty deserted.
Nothing happens at the university, most people will be gone.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old February 27th 04, 04:20 AM
Don W

I think you mean Durango, not Telluride. Telluride is beautiful, but
probably still snowed in through April. Fruita is awesome, it took 5
years of living here before I finally got to Moab. However, Moab is
incredible.
Two thoughts, Moab is a great place to visit in April, but everybody
knows it.
Second thought, trees and grass are pretty much a function of
elevation in Utah and Colorado. April is way early to ride above
7000' feet (and we've had a snowy winter). Suggestions of trails are
based on capability, but most are loops that can be adapted to
capability. Mary's at the Kokopelli trailhead (Loma exit I think 16
off I-70) can be extended riding Horsethief and steve's, or enjoy 12
miles of pain (one way) and follow the kokopelli to rabbit valley.
In Grand Junction try gunny loop, or for all the climbing you can
stand, go up and down the Ribbon. Or follow the Uncompagrhe 18 miles
(again one way) to Whitewater. A little too much hike a bike for me.
Then there's 18 road in Fruita. Loops from 45 minutes to 30 miles (The
Edge Loop - might be too snowy and cold in April, but has the sweetest
downhill single track weaving through trees). Have fun, and maybe
you'll move here and ride year round!

Mopar Freak wrote ...

Old February 27th 04, 05:07 PM
moparfreak

(Don W) wrote in
om:

D'oh!!! I was thinking Durango, but put Telluride because I had just got
back from skiing there. Sorry if I caused any confusion - damn!

[...]

rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help
solving posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Old February 29th 04, 02:47 PM
Per Löwdin

Mary's at the Kokopelli trailhead (Loma exit I think 16
off I-70) can be extended riding Horsethief and steve's, or enjoy 12
miles of pain (one way) and follow the kokopelli to rabbit valley.

Fruita is splendid http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/MT...nd_Fruita.html
spent a week there last year.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

RR: Jeep Safari Week in Moab Mark Bockmann Mountain Biking 1 April 13th 04 01:52 PM
RR: Moab Vacation tcmedara Mountain Biking 13 November 7th 03 11:20 PM
Wanted 2001 Schwinn Moab Jen Mountain Biking 7 October 2nd 03 01:42 PM
Moab Rick B Mountain Biking 1 September 25th 03 11:22 PM
Moab Stuart Plumley Mountain Biking 11 September 3rd 03 06:04 PM