long ride, and by night

Old March 14th 09, 01:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Passien Begoen

Default long ride, and by night

Hello,

A couple of friend and I would like to make a fairly long ride (200
miles) within 3 months. We would like to do it fairly fast and start in
the afternoon, ride whole night and arrive before noon. Assuming we have
only 2-3 hours, 4 days a week to train for it. How to best train for it.
We have heart rate monitors. The terrain would all be flat, no or light
traffic.

If it helps to know current condition. At the moment I have a heart rate
of 125 tics a minute when doing 16 miles per hour. I have a max heart
rate of 190 tics a minute. I can off course go a lot faster, but this
results in a much higher heart rate.

Regards,
Passien

PS. I'm no native American and I don't use English that much, I'm sorry
for all the errors. I don't mind being corrected.
Old March 14th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Passien Begoen wrote:
Hello,

A couple of friend and I would like to make a fairly long ride (200
miles) within 3 months. We would like to do it fairly fast and start in
the afternoon, ride whole night and arrive before noon. Assuming we have
only 2-3 hours, 4 days a week to train for it. How to best train for it.
We have heart rate monitors. The terrain would all be flat, no or light
traffic.

If it helps to know current condition. At the moment I have a heart rate
of 125 tics a minute when doing 16 miles per hour. I have a max heart
rate of 190 tics a minute. I can off course go a lot faster, but this
results in a much higher heart rate.

Regards,
Passien

PS. I'm no native American and I don't use English that much, I'm sorry
for all the errors. I don't mind being corrected.

The real key is not pushing too hard on the double-century, as that can
lead to joint or muscle problems. Make sure you have low enough gears to
keep up a good spin on minor hills (e.g. highway overpasses) or a strong
headwind when you get tired towards the end of the ride.

Dehydration and low blood suger are also a concern, so make sure to take
in moderate quantities of food and water at regular intervals.

Also, ignore any negative comments posted here by Ed Dolan.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 15th 09, 05:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Passien Begoen wrote:
[...]

The main thing to remember is that Tom Sherman is knowledgeable about
recumbents and cycling, but woefully ignorant on every other subject under
the sun.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old March 16th 09, 03:36 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Passien Begoen wrote:
[...]

The main thing to remember is that Tom Sherman was talking about

cycling ... DUH!!!

He also referenced me, always a risky undertaking.

Old March 16th 09, 02:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Passien Begoen wrote:
[...]

He baited you with a valid observation and you took the bait ... plain
and simple.
Old March 16th 09, 03:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

On Mar 14, 1:42 pm, Passien Begoen wrote:
Hello,

A couple of friend and I would like to make a fairly long ride (200
miles) within 3 months. We would like to do it fairly fast and start in
the afternoon, ride whole night and arrive before noon. Assuming we have
only 2-3 hours, 4 days a week to train for it. How to best train for it.
We have heart rate monitors. The terrain would all be flat, no or light
traffic.

If it helps to know current condition. At the moment I have a heart rate
of 125 tics a minute when doing 16 miles per hour. I have a max heart
rate of 190 tics a minute. I can off course go a lot faster, but this
results in a much higher heart rate.

Regards,
Passien

PS. I'm no native American and I don't use English that much, I'm sorry
for all the errors. I don't mind being corrected.

Another thing you have to consider is lighting. I don't know where you
ride but where I ride 200 miles mostly at night will require some
serious amounts of light if for nothing else but to scare the coyotes
away. You will either need to carry some serious amounts of batteries
or use a dyno hub to some serious LED lights. Either way is not going
to be cheap. But I have done some long rides at night and it is a heck
of a lot more peaceful than riding during the day. There is a zen-like
quality to riding at night you can only rarely match during the day.

Opus
Old March 16th 09, 05:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
On Mar 15, 10:36 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

[...]
Also, ignore any negative comments posted here by Ed Dolan.

The main thing to remember is that Tom Sherman is knowledgeable about
recumbents and cycling, but woefully ignorant on every other subject
under
the sun.

The main thing to remember is that Tom Sherman was talking about

cycling ... DUH!!!

He also referenced me, always a risky undertaking.

He baited you with a valid observation and you took the bait ... plain

and simple.

Nope, he gave me a smiley so I gave him one back. But hang in there. Even a
stopped clock is right twice a day.

Old March 16th 09, 07:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Opus wrote:

Another thing you have to consider is lighting. I don't know where you
ride but where I ride 200 miles mostly at night will require some
serious amounts of light if for nothing else but to scare the coyotes
away. You will either need to carry some serious amounts of batteries
or use a dyno hub to some serious LED lights. Either way is not going
to be cheap. But I have done some long rides at night and it is a heck
of a lot more peaceful than riding during the day. There is a zen-like
quality to riding at night you can only rarely match during the day.

Opus

I use a pair of Cateye EL-500s (4xAA powered) and never had a problem
with not enough light. They cost $50 or so each when I got them. Usually
I only use one at a time (have two just for redundancy's sake) and if
I'm riding rural at night and there's no car traffic, sometimes I even
ride with neither turned on. Your eyes can adapt quite nicely if the
moon is full and the sky is clear--in fact, it's mostly the oncoming car
headlights that ruin my night vision....

Also I like to run dual rear lights. If one quits and you're riding
alone, you won't know until after you get off the bike for some reason.
And if one does fail, then the other one keeps on working.
~
Old March 17th 09, 11:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Erness Wild

I use those cheap flashlights you can't change the battery in. I put
red paint caps over the lens and duct tape it to the bike frame. Any
regular hardware and systems usually get stolen if the bike is left
anywhere but in my "garage". There's always some "smartas" who likes
to pull the wires off as they stroll by, on the permanent type.

I always wondered if a propeller/windmill type generator wouldn't be a
better idea for powering a bolt on lighting system. Probably not
enough "juice" to power a good headlamp, but should be enough for a
rear light or two. Would look pretty interesting, but sure to get
snapped off by "smartas's".

DougC wrote:
Also I like to run dual rear lights. If one quits and you're riding
alone, you won't know until after you get off the bike for some reason.
And if one does fail, then the other one keeps on working.
~

First night ride - tyres that go bump in the night gkmac Unicycling 7 December 8th 06 11:30 AM
First night ride - tyres that go bump in the night gkmac Unicycling 0 December 7th 06 07:55 PM
Long Days Pedal Into Night Stephen Harding General 0 March 28th 06 02:17 PM
night ride apadox Unicycling 9 January 4th 05 07:50 PM
First long ride on my new bike (long) David Kerber General 17 November 26th 03 12:59 PM