Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

Old May 7th 04, 07:56 PM
James Lynx

Default Bike Stores Endangerd Because of Super Chain Stores?

I am going to start riding again and haven't seriously ridden any
bikes in 20 years when I used to ride my BMX every where. I have been
reading on this newsgroup that people say not to buy from Costco and
other mega stores because the quality of the bikes aren't good, there
is no bike maintence done at these places, and also these stores sell
bikes so low they are a threat to bike store survival.

Are these mega stores really a threat to bike stores? I ask because
so many people here at this newsgroup stay away from chain store
bikes. It seems as if people are still buying from bike shops. Sure
Costco and Toys R Us attracks the casual biker but the bike stores
still appeal to the more serious biker and even to some casual bikers.
Do you really think Costco threatens bike stores survivals? Maybe
the mega stores cut into some of their profits but do they really that
much? I might buy a bike and if I get one I would like to buy it
possibly at Tony's Bike Shop in East LA. I bought my BMX Team
Mongoose there in 1980 when I was 12 and this guy is still open for
business and has good bikes.

Also for the causal biker who doesn't bike that often or that
intensely are the Costco bikes really that bad? I myself want to buy
a bike from a real bike store and also there is a special place in my
heart for Tony's Schwinn (he no longer carries Schwinn but carries the
name) since as noted above my BMX was purchased there in 1980. The
old man was a nice guy and he's even older but still there. I'd like
to give him my business if there is a bike there that fits my needs.

James
Old May 9th 04, 05:57 AM
James Lynx

I just went to Tony's Schwinn today and asked him how business is now
that there are all these places like Costco and Walmart selling bikes
and he said that business has never been so good for him. He's
selling a lot more bikes than ever. This is great. I'm glad to see
Tony doing well and I do plan on buying a bike from him next month.
Good man that Tony.

James

Ken wrote in message ...
(James Lynx) wrote in
om:
I am going to start riding again and haven't seriously ridden any
bikes in 20 years when I used to ride my BMX every where. I have been
reading on this newsgroup that people say not to buy from Costco and
other mega stores because the quality of the bikes aren't good, there
is no bike maintence done at these places, and also these stores sell
bikes so low they are a threat to bike store survival.

Big department stores have been selling bicycles probably for maybe many
decades. The major bicycle brands do not sell through department stores
because these stores lack the skill to assemble, fit, and service bikes
properly. The only bikes you find at department stores are disposables
(literally). The big box stores make their profit on volume, not service,
so they will never be very successful on items that require professional
service.

A bigger threat to local bike shops are the cut-rate shops that hire a
bunch of low-skill teenagers to do their service and sales work. These
shops do not take the time to understand the customers needs and fit the
bicycle to those needs. They charge lower prices, but many customers don't
realize that you get what you pay for and they would have been happier
paying a little more for better service.

Old May 9th 04, 02:11 PM
Dale S.

I think some of the latest bike products offered by big box stores
will actually push more customers into their LBS. Why? Because
manufacturers are getting so cheap now that they are attempting to
make every part universal. Tires, tubes, etc are sold as "Universal"
now at stores like walmart.

A buddy of mine bought a "universal" mountain bike tire at walmart and
we spent almost an hour trying to get it onto his rim. The damn tire
was made as a universal fit for tires from 1.75 to 2.25. Ever try
squeezing a cheaply made tire onto a much smaller rim than it was
designed for?

The frustration people will find with these walmart/discount parts
will lead them to buying decent parts at their LBS.

Old May 9th 04, 06:16 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The frustration people will find with these walmart/discount parts
will lead them to buying decent parts at their LBS.

Maybe. Or perhaps people will think that's normal for bike stuff and decide
cycling's not worth the hassle. That, to me, is the biggest danger. A
whole lot of people think that bikes are toys because... well, because at
*Marts, they are!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Dale S." wrote in message
m...
I think some of the latest bike products offered by big box stores
will actually push more customers into their LBS. Why? Because
manufacturers are getting so cheap now that they are attempting to
make every part universal. Tires, tubes, etc are sold as "Universal"
now at stores like walmart.

A buddy of mine bought a "universal" mountain bike tire at walmart and
we spent almost an hour trying to get it onto his rim. The damn tire
was made as a universal fit for tires from 1.75 to 2.25. Ever try
squeezing a cheaply made tire onto a much smaller rim than it was
designed for?

The frustration people will find with these walmart/discount parts
will lead them to buying decent parts at their LBS.

. com...

Old May 9th 04, 11:34 PM
Mr B

I read a quote a while ago when they were itnerviewing a local biek shop when a WalMart was comign
in a mile or so away. They talked to him after it went in and he said he loves it because he gets
to repair all the crap that WalMart sells.

Old May 10th 04, 01:34 AM
Pat

I read a quote a while ago when they were itnerviewing a local biek shop

when a WalMart was comign
in a mile or so away. They talked to him after it went in and he said he

loves it because he gets
to repair all the crap that WalMart sells.

My LBS gets to rebuild all the crap that the Wal-Mart guys put together.

Pat in TX

Old May 10th 04, 05:22 AM
James Lynx

Mr. B, I was at Tony's Schwinn and asking about how he's doing with
sales now that there are all these Walmarts and Costcos selling bike
and he says fine. That bikes are selling at his store better than
ever. He also said that he is constantly fixing bikes that people buy
from these stores as well. So I guess he's making money fixing the
cheap bikes from mega stores and those who buy bikes from those stores
probably decide that they want a good bike so end up buying from him.
Not bad for the bike store owners huh?

I do recall tho that probably about 20 years ago two Schwinn shops
near me went out of business and this was before the mega stores that
are popping up every where. I'm glad that Tony's stayed in business.
I think the original Schwinn company went out of business about 20
years ago too didn't they then someone bought the name and made
Schwinn again? Maybe the original bike line going out of business had
something to do with these other two shops going out of business.

James

Old May 10th 04, 10:51 AM
Stephen Harding

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The frustration people will find with these walmart/discount parts
will lead them to buying decent parts at their LBS.

Maybe. Or perhaps people will think that's normal for bike stuff and decide
cycling's not worth the hassle. That, to me, is the biggest danger. A
whole lot of people think that bikes are toys because... well, because at
*Marts, they are!

I wonder if people in the "*Mart bicycle market" ever even
change tires?

Seems this group of people regard bikes as toys, to be used
only during the annual family summer vacation, and otherwise
as a garage ornament.

SMH

Old May 10th 04, 03:32 PM
BanditManDan

Stephen Harding wrote:
I wonder if people in the "*Mart bicycle market" ever even change tires?
Seems this group of people regard bikes as toys, to be used only during
the annual family summer vacation, and otherwise as a garage ornament.
SMH

Most people view the "x-mart bikes" as disposible. The reason for thi
is that most people won't ride the bike enough to have to worry abou
changing tire's until the bike is several years old. By that time it'
time to buy a new (updated) bike anyway

People need to get out and ride more before they realize the benifits o
a quality bike and LBS

Dan

-