Lost in translation

Old June 3rd 05, 04:29 PM
Tony Raven

Default Lost in translation

Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

Other entried invited
--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill

* "I found out during an informal chat with City Police about the latest
cyclist fatality which happened about 6.30pm on 18 May at St Martin Le
Grand (between St Paul's and Museum of London roundabout) just before
the turn to Newgate. A cyclist had stopped apparently (maybe due to
hearing a police siren?) and a motorcyclist went into the back of them
propelling them forward. The cyclist died in a couple of hours, one
police officer saying that the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death. "
Old June 3rd 05, 04:52 PM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

"the cyclist was in collision with a car" = He was cycling quite correctly
when a car pulled out of a side road without slowing, hit him and launched
him into oblivion.

"The accident was caused by a wet road" = Someone either didn't notice it
was raining or hadn't the mental capacity to deduce that adhesion was
reduced as a consequence.

Pete

Old June 3rd 05, 04:56 PM
Richard

Peter B wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

"the cyclist was in collision with a car" = He was cycling quite correctly
when a car pulled out of a side road without slowing, hit him and launched
him into oblivion.

"The accident was caused by a wet road" = Someone either didn't notice it
was raining or hadn't the mental capacity to deduce that adhesion was
reduced as a consequence.

"You should've been wearing a helmet" = Because then the dopey goit
wouldn't have hit you.

R.
Old June 3rd 05, 05:08 PM
Chris

Tony Raven wrote:
Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

Other entried invited

Speed is the cause of many accidents = Driving like a c*nt is the cause
of many accidents, of which speed is just one aspect
Old June 3rd 05, 06:34 PM

I put a selection of such translations on my website a while ago...

For example,

'to go out of control', as in 'the vehicle went out of control' = The
driver lost control of the vehicle.

'I didn't see you' = 1) I didn't look. 2) I looked but as you are only
a cyclist I decided to pull out anyway.

'occasionally drift over the speed limit' = 'habitually and wilfully
flout the speed limit.

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...ictionary.html

Old June 4th 05, 07:27 AM
RobD

Gets my vote since i hate speed cameras or as they insist on calling them
"Enforsement cameras"

Yeah right ...tomato tomAto!

RobD

Old June 4th 05, 06:49 PM
Jon Senior

RobD wrote:
Gets my vote since i hate speed cameras or as they insist on calling them
"Enforsement cameras"

Or enforcement cameras... ;-) I presume you also hate policemen or
"enforcement officers" as 'they' insist on calling them!

Yeah right ...tomato tomAto!

Orange orange?

Jon
Old June 4th 05, 09:16 PM
Sniper8052(L96A1)

Tony Raven wrote:
Reading a report on the LCC list about another cyclist killed in the
City (hit from behind by a motorbike while stationary at the side of the
road) I realised that we need a dictionary to translate what they say
into what they mean (a bit like a dictionary of cockney)

For starters from that report we have:

"the lack of a helmet could have been the
'cause' of death" = He was killed by a motorbike*

Other entried invited

The police officer was reporting not the view of The City Police - other
than they had been told - but the opinion of the pathologist who
examined the body. Who said "...a helmet would have saved his life"

Sniper8052
Old June 4th 05, 10:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

I submit that on or about Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:16:18 GMT, the person
known to the court as "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
made a statement in
Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

The police officer was reporting not the view of The City Police - other
than they had been told - but the opinion of the pathologist who
examined the body. Who said "...a helmet would have saved his life"

Pathologist? Or coroner? Coroners are notoriously prone to True
Believerism, pathologists less so.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk