How important is ...

Old November 7th 05, 04:05 PM

Default How important is ...

....that little spring in quick release wheels?

I was showing off how uber cool it is that my wheels quick release and
was talking to someone while putting them back on. Screwed the little
black nubby bit the release way instead of the close way because I was
talking ... until it came off ... at which point the spring inside went
*sproing* and was lost.

I was able to put the wheel back on without that little spring (there
are two inside the mechanism, one on each side) and it seems to ride
alright but ... I figured I ought to ask.

-M

Old November 7th 05, 04:32 PM

Marian Rosenberg writes:

...that little spring in quick release wheels?

I was showing off how uber cool it is that my wheels quick release
and was talking to someone while putting them back on. Screwed the
little black nubby bit the release way instead of the close way
because I was talking ... until it came off ... at which point the
spring inside went *sproing* and was lost.

I was able to put the wheel back on without that little spring
(there are two inside the mechanism, one on each side) and it seems
to ride alright but ... I figured I ought to ask.

It has no function in retaining the wheel. It's purpose is to center
the QR skewer with nearly equal space on either side of the hub so it
can be more easily dropped into the dropouts of the bicycle. Having
one spring is probably worse than none because it will surely displace
the QR to one side.

These springs are replaceable and your bicycle shop will have them.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 10th 05, 04:20 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

The springs are to push everything apart to facilitate wheel
instalation. That's why there is one on each end. It will work fine
without any springs, actually, just a little easier to get the wheel on
with the springs.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old November 11th 05, 04:54 PM

Jeff Starr wrote:
On 8 Nov 2005 20:41:41 -0800, "

These springs are replaceable and your bicycle shop will have them.

Going into the bike shop for any reasons -other- than to flirt with the
manager or to practice my Chinese on the mechanic is dangerous.

They sold me a new headset.

Ermmm ... a new thingywhatsis. I think it is called a headset. The
bit that connects the handlebars to the front fork.

-M

I think you mean the stem. Although the headset is in that area.

It appears that you are correct.

Was this part for your new bike, or an older one?

For the new bike.

Despite the fact that this bike is made in Taiwan by Giant for the
Asian market the stem that comes with it doesn't fit any of the people
I know who are buying the bike. I know perhaps six or seven people
riding this bike or one of its cousins and even the ones who aren't
heavily into upgrading everything have, at the very least, swapped this
piece out for a much _much_ shorter one.

It wasn't even the mechanic that convinced me to swap (always dangerous
when your friend who makes a comission tries to get you to buy
something expensive) but one of the other people in the club.

It's amazing. All the sudden I can _see_ things, and that funny little
spot in my back that always feels so gooood when the masseur works on
me doesn't hurt.

I'm currently a one bike girl, though I am quite pleased to say that
the 9 year old son of the man who bought my last road bike is putting a
surprising amount of use into it (despite the suboptimal fit) and even
got his dad to buy him a pair of gloves (because I wear gloves). And
the dad came with the club on one of the 100 kilometer rides last
month.

I was really afraid that the bike would get stowed in the garage or
left outside to rust, but apparently having a cool foreign girl who
rides her bike all the way to other cities living in the same house has
helped to make bike riding interesting as opposed to just something the
cook or maid do.

-M

Old November 11th 05, 04:55 PM

Mark Hickey wrote:

OTOH, it may keep me up nights wondering what the Mandarin word for
"thingywhatsis" is...

那个哪个哪个...这些东西

-M
Old November 11th 05, 06:20 PM
Alex Colvin

Ck1hcmsgSGlja2V5IHdyb3RlOgoKPiBPVE9ILCBpdCBtYXkga 2VlcCBtZSB1cCBuaWdodHMgd29u
ZGVyaW5nIHdoYXQgdGhlIE1hbmRhcmluIHdvcmQgZm9yCj4gI nRoaW5neXdoYXRzaXMiIGlzLi4u
CgrpgqPkuKrlk6rkuKrlk6rkuKrvvI7vvI7vvI7ov5nkupvku Jzopb8KCi1NCg==

gesundheit!

--
mac the naïf