RailBikes

Old February 28th 04, 08:53 PM
Bill Patterson

Default RailBikes

I know nothing about railbikes. Out town has railroad tracks running
north and south. The railroads are slowing down and may give up their
right of ways. Tracks and right of ways are an incredible asset for
future public transport. Most cities lost all trolley right of ways in
the 40's and 50's.

I may try and start a railbike company just to keep the car lobby from
tearing up the tracks. Therefore, the interest in railbikes.

meb wrote:
Professor, has there ever ben a fwd railbike?

Outlaw power steering

See some Bikes At:

http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html

Class and Helicopter

http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/

Reply to

Old February 28th 04, 10:10 PM
Bill Patterson

I want to save the rails. Don't care about ripping them up to make bike
trails.

B a r r y wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:53:43 GMT, Bill Patterson
wrote:

I may try and start a railbike company just to keep the car lobby from
tearing up the tracks. Therefore, the interest in railbikes.

Why not hook up with The National Rails to Trails foundation? They
may be able to help get the access rights to the right of way.

Barry

Old February 28th 04, 11:50 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:10:21 GMT, Bill Patterson
wrote:

I want to save the rails. Don't care about ripping them up to make bike
trails.

outlaw top-posting!

What would a rail-bike do? The image in mind is of a railroad
track-inspection vehicle, with pedals instead of the lever for
propulsion.....

the philippine National Railroad occasionally has to impound
improvised private rail carraiges and burn them in big piles; locals
build rail cars and push them on the track to get from point A to
point B. And then they collide with freight trains....

-Luigi

Old February 28th 04, 11:58 PM
Bill Patterson

Luigi,

Great to hear from our brothers in the Philippines. I visited in 1967,
love the place. I still try to get to the chicken fights.

What is top posting? If it means putting my post on top of the old
stuff, guilty. I hate having to scroll down through other/old replies.

In the US we have many miles of abandoned railroad track. It is lawful
to ride on the old unused track.

Bill

Old February 29th 04, 12:34 AM
Pete

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote

What would a rail-bike do? The image in mind is of a railroad
track-inspection vehicle, with pedals instead of the lever for
propulsion.....

ummm...kind of.
http://www.railbike.com/
http://rrbike.freeservers.com/
http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/stuwork...e/railbike.htm
http://www.connectcorp.net/~railbike/railbike_tours.htm

Pete

Old February 29th 04, 12:41 AM
Claire Petersky

"Bill Patterson" wrote in message
link.net...
What is top posting? If it means putting my post on top of the old
stuff, guilty. I hate having to scroll down through other/old replies.

Oy.

Please see, on "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Usenet" the article
entitled, "What is Top-Posting and why is it considered bad?" he
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_topp.html

If you still don't get it, consider the following classic:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:
Email me the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

Old February 29th 04, 01:24 AM
Badger_South

wrote:

I want to save the rails. Don't care about ripping them up to make bike
trails.

outlaw top-posting!

What would a rail-bike do? The image in mind is of a railroad
track-inspection vehicle, with pedals instead of the lever for
propulsion.....

the philippine National Railroad occasionally has to impound
improvised private rail carraiges and burn them in big piles; locals
build rail cars and push them on the track to get from point A to
point B. And then they collide with freight trains....

-Luigi

Rail bike. Rail car with rollers. Smoother than cross-ties, plus cool
scenery, double plus when you get off the rollers - durn you're not where
you started. (This last phenomena can confuse bikers during the winter.

-B
Triple plus, free wind!

Old February 29th 04, 08:28 AM
Mark Leuck

Since I already know the subject I'd rather not see it a zillion times
during the thread but instead like to see the replies, if it annoys some
welp sorry but I'm more annoyed scrolling down to see a one line reply

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
"Bill Patterson" wrote in message
link.net...
What is top posting? If it means putting my post on top of the old
stuff, guilty. I hate having to scroll down through other/old replies.

Oy.

Please see, on "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Usenet" the article
entitled, "What is Top-Posting and why is it considered bad?" he
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_topp.html

If you still don't get it, consider the following classic:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:
Email me the new Tiferet CD (http://www.tiferet.net)

Since I already know the subject I'd rather not see it a zillion times
during the thread but instead like to see the replies, if it annoys some
welp sorry but I'm more annoyed scrolling down to see a one line reply

(top and bottom posted to annoy/please both crowds)

Old February 29th 04, 09:06 AM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Mark Leuck wrote:
: Since I already know the subject I'd rather not see it a zillion times
: during the thread but instead like to see the replies, if it annoys some
: welp sorry but I'm more annoyed scrolling down to see a one line reply
:
: (top and bottom posted to annoy/please both crowds)

it also helps to trim your posts. in fact that's more important than where
you chose to place your response.
--
david reuteler

Old February 29th 04, 12:57 PM
Peter Cole

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
"Bill Patterson" wrote in message
link.net...
What is top posting? If it means putting my post on top of the old
stuff, guilty. I hate having to scroll down through other/old replies.

Oy.

Please see, on "The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Usenet" the article
entitled, "What is Top-Posting and why is it considered bad?" he
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_topp.html

If you still don't get it, consider the following classic:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

I stick to the convention, but I think it's a really bad one. Top posting is
so much easier to read. Many other fora use a top posting convention, I wish
these bike NG's would get with it, bottom posting is so retro.