alternatives to Kryptonite for U-locks?

Old June 3rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ben Pfaff

Default alternatives to Kryptonite for U-locks?

I'm not that happy with Kryptonite locks at the moment. First,
there was the Bic pen vulnerability a few years ago. Now, my
replacement lock has developed another problem: when I'm riding
along with it on the bike, about every other ride it rattles
itself apart and I have to park my bike alongside the road and
retrieve the U part of it from busy traffic. This has happened
half a dozen times, even when I've carefully checked that it was
locked before I set off. I assume that this means that a bike
thief, should he be inclined to do so, could steal my bike
without any tools at all if he were to just rattle the lock for a
few minutes. Not to mention that it's just a matter of time
until the U part of the lock hits a car when it falls.

Are there alternatives to Kryptonite locks that may be superior?
I understand that many other apparent brands of U-lock are
actually relabeled Kryptonite locks.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old June 3rd 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:28:13 -0700, Ben Pfaff
may have said:

[...]

I can't say if they are invulnerable to the rattle problem, but
there's a different issue with the similarly-keyed Master locks. You
can't get replacement keys at all, as of last I checked with them.

I beat the rattle-loose issue by using the frame mount that's supplied
with the newer Kryptos. I have had other brands of U-locks do the
same thing, so I advise against carrying any U-lock by just hanging it
on the handlebars, even though that's what I used to do myself.

Old June 3rd 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

wrote:

Are there alternatives to Kryptonite locks that may be superior?
I understand that many other apparent brands of U-lock are
actually relabeled Kryptonite locks.

I've been using a Planet Bike NYC style U-lock for about three years.
It generally hangs upside down from the right side of my rack. It
rattles a lot but has never unlocked itself. The plastic is worn
where it contacts the rack but the sliding cover for the key hole
still functions. It's not a very smooth operating lock even freshly
lubricated. In fact, it's often annoyingly difficult to unlock
without first stumbling upon the magic word.
--
zk

Old June 3rd 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Hank

On Jun 3, 9:28*am, Ben Pfaff wrote:
[...]

I've been quite happy with my OnGuard Pitbull, although I'll confess
that I've never used the provided bracket; I carried it in my
commuting backpack initially, then just started leaving it locked to
the rack at work. If I'm running an errand from home, I just use a
cable lock. But I've had that OnGuard for about 5 years now (to
replace the 20-year-old Performance Bike Shop cylinder key one I
discovered I was able to open with a Bic pen), and it still opens and
closes easily.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:19:45 -0700, Zoot Katz
may have said:

... It's not a very smooth operating lock even freshly
lubricated. In fact, it's often annoyingly difficult to unlock
without first stumbling upon the magic word.

Ah, a vocabulary expansion device! These are not to be dismissed
lightly, nay, never should one be merely set aside carelessly.
Rather, they should be flung across the room with great vigor!

(apologies to the memory of Parker.)

Old June 4th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 3, 4:10*pm, Hank wrote:
[...]

Pitbull mini for me, with the Akita cable for either the front wheel
or to secure panniers or even to lock around big poles at the farmers
market. Nice lock for anything outside SF or NYC.

kryptonite locks so far bad ilaboo[_2_] General 24 January 7th 08 04:18 AM
Kryptonite locks Ian Smith UK 20 January 17th 05 07:46 AM
Kryptonite locks john riley Recumbent Biking 2 September 18th 04 01:23 AM
Kryptonite Locks safe? Thomas Schmidt Mountain Biking 60 July 7th 04 08:00 AM
Which of these 2 types of Kryptonite locks are better? Chris Zacho The Wheelman Techniques 6 August 18th 03 11:54 PM