"He died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking with friendsin the desert near Moab, Utah"

Old January 2nd 10, 07:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "He died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking with friendsin the desert near Moab, Utah"

So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!

Mike

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005129425

Todd Johnston, 41
Four Seasons Spa & Pool owner and founder Todd Johnston was
tremendously active—skiing, biking, playing ice hockey, raising
children and loving his wife of 17 years, Vicki. He lived life to the
fullest and did everything with vigor and enthusiasm. After growing up
in Illinois, Todd grew to love the mountains of Idaho and the West. He
Old January 2nd 10, 07:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!

Mike

JS
Happy ****ing New Year, you sick *******.

/JS

Old January 3rd 10, 04:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!

Happy ****ing New Year, you sick *******.

You are confused. It was this Todd Johnston guy who was the sick ****. He
was only 41 and is now moldering in his grave because of his mountain biking
mania. I say good riddance.

Middle-aged folks should be out walking, not riding mountain bikes in rugged
terrain. But the dumb and the stupid are not known for living long lives.

I think we all know who is the sick ******* here.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 4th 10, 01:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jan 2, 8:36*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Middle-aged folks should be out walking, not riding mountain bikes in rugged
terrain. But the dumb and the stupid are not known for living long lives.

Hah! A durn sight more middle aged folks die at the table, attending
a sporting event, or in front of the TV set than while getting
cardiovascular exercise. Maybe you want to tell them not to eat,
attend sporting events, or watch TV.

Cardiovascular exercise is great but those who are out of shape should
see a doctor first.
Old January 4th 10, 03:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Jan 2, 8:36 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Middle-aged folks should be out walking, not riding mountain bikes in
rugged
terrain. But the dumb and the stupid are not known for living long lives.

Hah! A durn sight more middle aged folks die at the table, attending

a sporting event, or in front of the TV set than while getting
cardiovascular exercise. Maybe you want to tell them not to eat,
attend sporting events, or watch TV.

Cardiovascular exercise is great but those who are out of shape should

see a doctor first.

Exercise is fine, but it is stupid to do it at the risk of life and limb.
Instead of cycling in the mountains, why not hike. You can get excellent
exercise from hiking and at little or no risk to life and limb.

Old January 4th 10, 06:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 2, 8:36*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!
Happy ****ing New Year, you sick *******.

You are confused. It was this Todd Johnston guy who was the sick ****. He
was only 41 and is now moldering in his grave because of his mountain biking
mania. I say good riddance.

Middle-aged folks should be out walking, not riding mountain bikes in rugged
terrain. But the dumb and the stupid are not known for living long lives.

I think we all know who is the sick ******* here.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Thanks for brightening my day, as always! The truth will do that....
That's why we who tell the truth are much happier than these lying
half-wit *******s.
Old January 4th 10, 03:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Default He died while hiking [Was: "He died Oct. 23 of heart failure whilemountain biking...]

Mike Vandeman wrote, On 1/2/2010 2:11 PM:
So much for the alleged healthfulness of mountain biking.... Evolution
in action!

Mike

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005129425

Todd Johnston, 41
Four Seasons Spa & Pool owner and founder Todd Johnston was
tremendously active—skiing, biking, playing ice hockey, raising
children and loving his wife of 17 years, Vicki. He lived life to the
fullest and did everything with vigor and enthusiasm. After growing up
in Illinois, Todd grew to love the mountains of Idaho and the West. He
died Oct. 23 of heart failure while mountain biking with friends in
the desert near Moab, Utah.

Hiking causes heart attacks!
http://www.gazette.com/articles/incline-56531-rescue-manitou.html
http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-12-21/19024/German%20hiker%20dies%20of%20heart%20attack
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...7&slug=1307831
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910927&slug=1307831
http://www.hikerhell.com/2008/12/hiker-dies-of-apparent-heart-attack-on-camelback-mountain-arizona/
http://m.missoulian.com/breaker/article_1e3fc4c4-0ff0-577f-868b-970792834d8c.html
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12882985

Expensive mountain bikes and riding accessories are not required....

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Old January 4th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jan 3, 7:08*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Exercise is fine, but it is stupid to do it at the risk of life and limb.
Instead of cycling in the mountains, why not hike. *You can get excellent
exercise from hiking and at little or no risk to life and limb.

And your medical or exercise science credentials are just what? I'm
not a physician but am a first responder and have talked to physicians
and those with exercise science degrees. No reason a middle aged or
older person in good health should not exercise vigorously, in fact
there are many reasons such a person should do so. I'm 64, run
usually 5 miles per day or do interval training, bike, climb mountains
etc. The doc says my risk of heart attack is essentially zero and
encourages me to keep it up.
Old January 4th 10, 05:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 4, 9:22*am, " wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:08*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Exercise is fine, but it is stupid to do it at the risk of life and limb.
Instead of cycling in the mountains, why not hike. *You can get excellent
exercise from hiking and at little or no risk to life and limb.

And your medical or exercise science credentials are just what? *I'm
not a physician but am a first responder and have talked to physicians
and those with exercise science degrees. *No reason a middle aged or
older person in good health should not exercise vigorously, in fact
there are many reasons such a person should do so. *I'm 64, run
usually 5 miles per day or do interval training, bike, climb mountains
etc. The doc says my risk of heart attack is essentially zero and
encourages me to keep it up.

He obviously hasn't thought much about the risks of mountain biking,
which is FAR more dangerous than hiking (see http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb_dangerous).
You have the additional risks of high speed, less stability than when
walking, being higher off the ground, and trying to negotiate
unpredictable terrain, while at the same time (as mountain bikers
always CLAIM) "enjoying the scenery" (or was that last part a LIE,
which is more likely?).
Old January 4th 10, 06:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Jan 3, 7:08 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Exercise is fine, but it is stupid to do it at the risk of life and limb.
Instead of cycling in the mountains, why not hike. You can get excellent
exercise from hiking and at little or no risk to life and limb.

And your medical or exercise science credentials are just what? I'm

not a physician but am a first responder and have talked to physicians
and those with exercise science degrees. No reason a middle aged or
older person in good health should not exercise vigorously, in fact
there are many reasons such a person should do so. I'm 64, run
usually 5 miles per day or do interval training, bike, climb mountains
etc. The doc says my risk of heart attack is essentially zero and
encourages me to keep it up.

Mountain biking is particularly dangerous because of the potential for
accidents, especially for middle aged men. I don't even think mountain
biking is a particularly good cardiovascular activity. And of course it
harms the environment and discombobulates hikers. It is socially
unacceptable.

A little exercise is a good thing, a lot of excercise is crazy. All that a
sensible person should ever want is good health, not superman strength and
endurance. I just about die of laughter every time a runner drops dead of a
heart attack. In fact, look up the original Marathon. That runner also
dropped dead at the end of it.