Greg Lemond on doping problems...

Old September 1st 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
lewdvig

Default Greg Lemond on doping problems...

On Aug 27, 2:03 am, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Aug 27, 12:41 am, " wrote:

**** Greg Lemond.

I've got some memorabilia from his 1989 win. I was a pretty big fan of
the guy. His behavior since he's retired disgusts me. If anyone wants
the '89 memorabilia, let me know. Mostly magazines - Velonews,
Winning, Sports Illustrated. I had a musette bag, but already threw it
out. If no one wants the rest of it, it's going in the dumpster too.

Yeah, I kind of soured on him in the 90's.

First there was all the drama with rev. 1 of his bike company, and
then I finally saw the Canadian National Film Board documentary
'Inside Out.' It followed Steve Bauer as his career wound-down. There
is a scene where Greg and Steve are interviewed, and Lemond would not
shut up. I think Steve got to answer one question in a 10 min segment
even the documenatry was about him.

He seems to need a lot of acknowledgement and attention. If he could
just take a modesty pill and shut up, he would be revered. Right now
he is just annoying and destructive.

He has a right to be ****ed, many class riders of the 80's had their
careers cut short because of the dawn of the EPO era. But spouting off
like he does makes me hate him almost as much as Dick Pound. These
guys should get slapped with libel or slander suits.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Chess implies more thought than their actions indicate. It's hard to
believe
people would put themselves in a position where they might receive
someone
else's blood. Do you think it likely that Vino gave much thought to the
possibility of getting Keschekins' (I'm sure I botched that spelling)
blood,
or was he more concerned about the idea that he could get caught? My
guess
is the latter.

Wrong game, Tom. Think Russian Roulette.

Yes. All of that is a potlatch.
Who will sacrifice the most to
be acknowledged the winner.

Do you think these guys are even thinking about "sacrifice?" That implies
something somehow noble and purposeful. I don't think that's it at all. I've
never read anything amongst the confessionals lately saying "I knew I was
putting my life at risk, doing what I was doing, but the end justified the
means."

These guys are just simply looking for a way to get ahead, or keep from
getting left behind, period. There's nothing noble involved, no great amount
of thought. The "winner" isn't the guy who sacrificed the most, but rather
the guy who managed to get the max benefit without getting caught. Strategic
doping. Points for technique and ingenuity (not necessarily on the part of
the racer, other than knowing the right person). No points for "sacrifice.

I do not consider sacrifice to be a good thing, particularly
when it is competitive sacrificing. Please do not read into
this that I consider self-interest the foremost good.

--
Michael Press