Waxing Chains?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 22nd 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Waxing Chains?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:34:25 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 11/20/2016 4:51 PM, John B Slocomb wrote:

Does anyone have any statistics regarding the length of time paraffin
wax lasts as a chain lubricant? Either in miles/kilometers ridden,
days/months between lube jobs, or other statistics?

When I used to use wax I used to re-wax probably every two weeks or so
but wonder whether a more relaxed schedule might be sufficient?

You can't go by time _or_ mileage, there are other factors as well.
What's the weather? Are you mixing oil in with the wax so there is a
lubricant still present once the wax is displaced?

What the Experts say About Chain Waxing:

"When wax was popular, we'd get customers coming in all the time
complaining about shifting problems on their bikes. Removed the wax and
lubed with conventional stuff and voila, shifting back to normal." Mike
Jacoubowsky, co-owner of Chain Reaction Bicycles.

I'm not sure I believe that. I used wax, applied at high temperatures
and allowed to harden with both down tube friction shifters and
"Brifters" and never had a single instance of shifting problems.

"Wax is not mobile and cannot return to a location from which it has
been removed by rotation of one part on another." Jobst Brandt, author
of The Bicycle Wheel

"If you use dry lube or wax, follow product directions and use it often.
In some cases, dry lube should be used for every ride. It wears off very
quickly and no new lube can flow to the critical wear areas." Craig
Metalcraft, manufacturer of Super Link III.

"Downsides of the wax approach include the fact that it is a great deal
of trouble, and that wax is probably not as good a lubricant as oil or
grease." Sheldon Brown

"Paraffin (canning wax), although clean, works poorly because it is not
mobile and cannot replenish the bearing surfaces once it has been
displaced. This becomes apparent with any water that gets on the chain.
It immediately squeaks.

[I have found that motor oil works poorly: it washes out of the chain
due to its detergent properties -- John Allen.]"

Of course Jon Allen is clueless, and it hurts to see him wrecking
Sheldon's web site. You don't use detergent oil on a chain, if you are
going to use motor oil then you use non-detergent oil, i.e.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052KYAMC

And even more recently a bloke who actually measures the effectiveness
of paraffin wax says it is the most effective lubricant. Most of the
above just talked a good race.

Can you show me a definitive test of the suitability of paraffin as a
lubricant by any of the above?

Note John Allen, above on the detergent qualities of motor oil. The
word, when applied to motor oil means the ability to dissolve and hold
in suspension foreign matter, i.e., dirt and metal particles. It
doesn't include water. Ask anyone that has gotten water in an engine's
oil. It doesn't form a solution and does separates into the two
components, water and oil, very rapidly.

---

Frame waxing Keiron[_6_] Techniques 100 July 5th 11 01:04 AM
Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 0 June 29th 11 09:07 PM
Waxing Bike Morg Techniques 1 March 24th 07 10:55 PM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM