another charity cyclist dies

Old September 20th 05, 01:33 PM
Pete Connors

Default another charity cyclist dies

On 19 Sep 2005 02:16:22 -0700, "MartinM" wrote:

from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer collapsed and died whilst
taking part in a 100 mile bike ride in North Devon. The rider was half
way through the event when he collapsed whilst riding up a steep hill.
The remaining 55 policemen on the ride decided to continue".

and on the same day 4 participants in the Great North Run also died.

whilst there are always lessons to be learned from these events it is
still a great tragedy for all the families concerned.

One of the lessons for participants might be found in the health
screening effect of public sporting events, like the exercise tests
that cardiologists administer. With the same infrequent negative
outcomes...
As a bloke with a 'glass half full' outlook on life I wonder how many
participants actually notice unwelcome symptoms and seek advice, thus
*improving* their life expectancy almost immediately

Pete Connors

Old September 20th 05, 02:12 PM
davek

Simon Brooke wrote:
Up, but within two thousand feet of the top, and much too high to get his
body down again, so he's still up there. Not a bad way to go, and not a
bad place to be buried:

Yeah, except that with so many obviously unsuitable people attempting
to climb Everest these days it is in danger of becoming a bit of a
graveyard.

And letting these people go up Everest in the first place surely counts
as some form of assisted suicide. I'm not sure that's such a great
thing.

It's also a very different scenario to taking part in a "fun" run.
Anyone that attempts to climb Everest is probably aware that it's an
extremely dangerous thing to do. I doubt anyone enters an event like
the Great North Run imagining it's the last thing they'll ever do. By
all means let the great unfit masses enter these races, but at least
make sure they are aware of the risk to their lives.

d.

Old September 20th 05, 02:37 PM
David Martin

MartinM wrote:
from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer

Is this proof that police officers are getting younger these days? Or
is it just poor phrasing? Did he have other children, and what
occupation did they have?

...d

Old September 20th 05, 02:48 PM
MartinM

David Martin wrote:
MartinM wrote:
from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer

Is this proof that police officers are getting younger these days? Or
is it just poor phrasing? Did he have other children, and what
occupation did they have?

that'll learn me to type it out rather than find the article on line ;-)

Old September 20th 05, 02:59 PM
davek

David Martin wrote:
Is this proof that police officers are getting younger these days? Or
is it just poor phrasing? Did he have other children, and what
occupation did they have?

So, what is the best way to remove coffee stains from one's monitor?
:-)

d.

Old September 20th 05, 03:02 PM
MartinM

davek wrote:
David Martin wrote:
Is this proof that police officers are getting younger these days? Or
is it just poor phrasing? Did he have other children, and what
occupation did they have?

So, what is the best way to remove coffee stains from one's monitor?
:-)

I still think the recumbent photo one was more deserving of a
coffee/keyboard interface scenario.

Old September 20th 05, 03:47 PM
dkahn400

MartinM wrote:
JohnB wrote:

Again, with due respect to all, I'm surprised no one has mentioned
'performance enhancing substances'.

Silly me, it was runners, not cyclists.

having just read the Tom Simpson book I would be tempted to say "not
nowadays" but is it really still a big problem? not something I see
much about outside the Tour.

There have been a number of sudden deaths amongst young professional
cyclists in recent years. The odd one could be purely natural, but
taken together they tend to suggest some pharmacological involvement.

--
Dave...

Old September 20th 05, 06:27 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Al C-F
om') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .com,
MartinM ') wrote:

from the Metro;

"a 37 year old father of one police officer collapsed and died whilst
taking part in a 100 mile bike ride in North Devon.

Everybody dies. I've just got back from a friend's father's funeral.
Death is not a tragedy, it's just an inevitable event.

I would suggest that death at the age of 37 is sufficiently rare to be
shocking, and therefore perceived as a tragedy to those left behind.

It's _perceived_ as a tragedy, but that's because we live in a society
that's phobic about death. It may well _be_ a tragedy for his wife and
child. But for him? No. If you are a believer in any of the commoner
religious faiths, then he's gone to heaven/paradise/nirvana and is
altogether better off. If you aren't, then his conscious experience
stopped suddenly and permanently, with little pain, in the middle of an
enjoyable experience. Sudden, unexpected, painless death, at any age
however young, is tragic only for those left behind.

By contrast, protracted death through painful or debilitating
illness /is/ a tragedy for anyone, however old. I do not want to become
blind. I do not want to become incontinent. I do not want to lose my
marbles (and most particularly I don't want to be aware of losing my
marbles, as my mother was). I do not want to become so debilitated I
can't look after myself in my own home. Most of all I do not want to die
in hospital. I'd _much_ rather die suddenly than live another thirty
years at that cost.

[ Disclaimer:Â*Â*ThisÂ*isÂ*aÂ*workÂ*displacementÂ*ex ercise.Â*Â*PleaseÂ*feelÂ*free ]
[ to reply either on or off
group.Â*Â*ExpectÂ*lengthyÂ*repliesÂ*untilÂ*the ]
[ deadline has
passed.Â*Â*Thank-youÂ*forÂ*yourÂ*cooperation. ]
Old September 20th 05, 07:55 PM
Simon Mason

"wafflycat" waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
ups.com...

With all due respect to the relatives of the deceased -

"Hot" weather in Gateshead near the end of September? Hmmmm.

Coming from up there & having lived in Low Fell for a while & worked in
Sooth Sheelds for a while - yes, hot weather is occasionally possible

Yebbut - it's not exactly Athens in July is it? ;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old September 20th 05, 08:31 PM
Tony Raven

Simon Brooke wrote:

Up, but within two thousand feet of the top, and much too high to get his
body down again, so he's still up there. Not a bad way to go, and not a
bad place to be buried:
URL:http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/project/everest/blog/weblog.pl?month=200507

I was sat next to someone at dinner last year and learnt he had been
climbing in the Alps with his aunt. Then it turns out Aunt was no mean
climber and that Uncle had died on Everest. The person was all very
diffident about it but let slip that his companion at the time was also
killed and was Joe Tasker. Which is when I realised Uncle was Peter
Boardman.

--
Tony

Anon