another charity cyclist dies

Old September 21st 05, 07:31 AM
wafflycat

Default another charity cyclist dies

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Yebbut - it's not exactly Athens in July is it? ;-)

No, it was September in Gateshead

Cheers, helen s

Old September 21st 05, 07:39 AM
wafflycat

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

By contrast, protracted death through painful or debilitating
illness /is/ a tragedy for anyone, however old. I do not want to become
blind. I do not want to become incontinent. I do not want to lose my
marbles (and most particularly I don't want to be aware of losing my
marbles, as my mother was). I do not want to become so debilitated I
can't look after myself in my own home. Most of all I do not want to die
in hospital. I'd _much_ rather die suddenly than live another thirty
years at that cost.

I think you have given an insight there, Simon. I've also watched a loved
family member die through a long, painful illness and another via
Alzheimers. I think that when you've been that close to someone who has died
and suffered terribly in the dying, then it gives a new way of looking at
death. Certainly the deaths I witnessed were key in allowing me to accept
that it happens to us all one day or another, so enjoy what we have. I
wouldn't wish the suffering I saw in two protracted deaths on anyone. The
best any of us can hope for is a 'good death' and what that means will vary
from person to person. For some it will mean being given dignity and pain
relief through a protracted decline, for others it may well be a swift
ending whilst doing something we love.

Cheers, helen s

Old September 21st 05, 08:42 AM
David Hansen

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:39:11 +0100 someone who may be "wafflycat"
waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote this:-

The
best any of us can hope for is a 'good death' and what that means will vary
from person to person. For some it will mean being given dignity and pain
relief through a protracted decline, for others it may well be a swift
ending whilst doing something we love.

It can also be a combination. Someone starts a long decline, but
before it gets really bad they suddenly die from something
unrelated.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.