London design Standards for Cycling

Old January 31st 04, 07:26 PM
Jeremy Parker

Default London design Standards for Cycling

I have just started looking at the draft sections of London's "Design
Standards for Cycling in London." They are available on the web at
the London Cycling Campaign's Planning and Engineering Group's web
site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCC-CPECplus/, in the files
section.

Oh dear. They are really bad, worse, even, than the old Design
Manual, in so far as I've looked so far, and totally unacceptable in
their present form. I can only look at them for short periods at a
stretch; I get too angry if I try to keep looking for a sustained
period.

Comments have to be in by mid March. I suggest that everybody
comment good and hard.

The old book was called the "London Cycle Network, Design Manual",
the new one is, apparently, "Design Standards for Cycling in London."

I remember TfL's Nick Chitty saying that the title was controversial.
Therefore that title must have been given considerable thought. I
imagine therefore that it being "standards" rather than "guidelines"
is significant, as is the fact that it covers "cycling in London"
rather than "the London Cycle Network"

The cover letter from Rose Ades says that this is a "surprisingly
challenging project." Quite why she was surprised, I don't
understand, but I think she ain't seen nothing yet.

Jeremy Parker
LCC Borough Coordinator Barnet
CTC Right to Ride Rep' Barnet

Old February 2nd 04, 01:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Jeremy Parker" writes:
| I have just started looking at the draft sections of London's "Design
| Standards for Cycling in London." They are available on the web at
| the London Cycling Campaign's Planning and Engineering Group's web
| site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCC-CPECplus/, in the files
| section.

Members only.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old February 2nd 04, 08:09 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Jeremy Parker" writes:
| I have just started looking at the draft sections of London's

"Design
| Standards for Cycling in London." They are available on the web

at
| the London Cycling Campaign's Planning and Engineering Group's

web
| site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCC-CPECplus/, in the files
| section.

Members only.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You could ask to join up. If all else fails, try giving the LCC an
e-mail on , or a phone call on 020-7928-7220

The draft Scottish Design Standards were on the internet for a whole
year in order to allow anyone in Scotland, or indeed the whole world,
to comment.

It's a shame that Transport for London hasn't posted the material.
However, I will concede that the system being used for this draft is
better than for the previous standards, which were in use for more
than a year before any member of the public was allowed to see them.

I think the lack of comment on the previous standards is one reason
why the London Cycle Network is so bad, although I have been told,
and, God help us, it may be true, that without the standards the LCN
would be even worse.

Jeremy Parker